Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, it seems that I've run into my first issue with my used 2016 Chrylser 200 Limited. When I set my car to heat, the AC still blows cold. It's definitely not quite as cold as the air that comes out when I set it to be cold, but it's definitely not hot and this is going to be quite an issue with winter approaching quickly. This happens on both the driver and passenger sides. It's been hot for a very short time before going back to being cold a few times in the past weeks, but this is rare and I can't reproduce it on demand.

I'm not very car savvy at all, obviously. From the other posts here, this seems like the heater core, but could it be something else? And if it is the heater core, what will it look like getting that replaced and how much would that be? I also see some things about flushing it, but I'm not sure how to do that or if it would help.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Check the coolant level, low coolant can cause sporadic heat. Does the engine temp gauge read normal?
Heater cores generally don't fail intermittently, they either flow or they don't.
Any signs of past cooling system service? Any coolant odor? How does the coolant look? Any thermostat fault codes? It should be the OAT coolant. Do not mix coolant types.
Check and change your cabin air filter if it hasn't been.
The HVAC module can perform a recalibration of the air doors and there was a software update for HVAC malfunctions:

Font Number Parallel

For 4-cyl:

Line Font Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Registered
112 Posts
With the motor fully warmed up, feel the 2 heater hoses in the engine compartment. They should both be hot to the touch. You can turn the motor off just before checking the hoses. If cool, it may be the heater core. If hot, it may be the blend door actuator motor or the hvac control head.

You noted that the heat worked sometimes.This points away from the heater core as being the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts