Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 200. The engine is idling rough and hesitates quite a bit while driving. I did a scan on the computer and came up with a code, don't recall the exact #, for # 4 cylinder coil pack being bad. Changed the plugs and the # 4 coil pack and the issue improved slightly but still missing when the engine is accelerating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mileage on the car?
Getting the actual code(s) would help...

You might check for a "pulse" at the #4 cylinder coil pack using a "noid" or an oscilloscope... Chryslers have had problems with ECMs (engine control modules) over the years driving the coil packs but confirmation is a must...

Also substituting a coil pack from another cylinder can save you from buying a coil pack... If the coil pack failure moves to the other cylinder then it is bad...If it doesn't move (from #4) then the coil packs are OK and you need to look for the problem elsewhere...

If the engine has high mileage you could have a bad fuel injector or a burnt exhaust valve...Moving the injectors like the coil packs can help diagnose your problem(s) also
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
2016 200. The engine is idling rough and hesitates quite a bit while driving. I did a scan on the computer and came up with a code, don't recall the exact #, for # 4 cylinder coil pack being bad. Changed the plugs and the # 4 coil pack and the issue improved slightly but still missing when the engine is accelerating. Any ideas?
I had the same thing happen.

The above advice is what I would do. Mine was because I didn't fully seat the coil, you'd think the screw holding it down would ensure that but it can still be not fully connected to the plug even with the screw on.

3.6 V6? If so, remove the foam entirely under the plenum before install/uninstall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
77,000 miles. The thing is it is not a constant problem. If I am merging into traffic and accelerate it may or may not miss. If it does miss and I hold acceleration it eventually goes away and runs normal or if i decrease acceleration a bit it will also go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put platinum plugs and confirmed the coil was installed correctly. Not sure whats going on with it. Its now running rough at idle and the new plugs are shot already needing to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have not checked the compression. Really don't think that compression is an issue as the problem is intermittent. Sometimes runs great, sometimes misses badly. If it were a compression issue I would think it would never run great. Put new plugs in about a month ago and it was running great about 95% of the time. 3000 miles later and its about 50/50 at the moment. Ill pull the plugs tonight and get a pic but guessing they are bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
have not checked the compression. Really don't think that compression is an issue as the problem is intermittent. Sometimes runs great, sometimes misses badly. If it were a compression issue I would think it would never run great. Put new plugs in about a month ago and it was running great about 95% of the time. 3000 miles later and its about 50/50 at the moment. Ill pull the plugs tonight and get a pic but guessing they are bad.
Has it thrown more codes ?
Sounds like a fuel / air problem, or maybe some, or one of the sensors is failing and not sending the correct info to the ECU.
It could even be an O2 sensor causing intermittent rich condition, thereby causing the plugs to foul.

I think I would have a certified tech look at and diagnose the problem. It could be any number of things, or a combination of things.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Have you checked your fuel injector electrical connections? Could be a simple as a connector that isn't fully seated or is just bad and not making good contact. I would be suspicious of that if it's the same cyl. that keeps throwing a code and especially if the plugs or one plug is fouling.

If you have a multi meter it's an easy test - but the problem if it's intermittent... cars are a pain. Just do a web search on how to test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts