Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm not sure if these two things are related. I have a 2011 Touring convertible that had the OCR recall fixed a couple of weeks ago. When it was getting fixed, the dealer mentioned something happening with the ABS that caused it to fail inspection. It looks like they resolved it, since I got my sticker and no ABS, ESC, or Check engine lights are on. I tested with my OBDII and got no codes. I'm getting to the issue, just wanted to give some background.

I had a fender-bender last week (thankfully, everyone was OK and minimal damage to my car). Thinking back, I don't remember my ABS kicking on (no brake pulsating) when I hit the pedal to slow down from 25-30 MPH and hitting the other vehicle. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I was on a quiet back road last night going about 35 MPH. I hit my brake hard, heard the tires screech, but did not feel the ABS kick on.

There are no other indicators of ABS issues (no lights, OBDII clear). I want to follow up with this and was curious if anyone else experienced something similar. I never had ABS issues prior to the recall fix.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,324 Posts
When you first start the car, the instrument cluster should do a 'bulb check' and light all the warning lights briefly. Does this happen?
ABS is not necessarily OBDII, that would be PCM codes that are emissions-related. Nothing to do with brakes.
Dry pavement isn't the best for a braking test. Loose dirt, sand or a wet surface is better for wheel slip.
Does the shop repair order give any clue on what they found or what they did to resolve the ABS issue? It seems odd that they wouldn't have addressed it more openly with you and documented it.
The occupant restraint controller recall (S61) should not be related to any ABS issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back with me. The only reason I wondered about this was the rep from the dealer said the ABS did something goofy when they hooked up the OCR module. My hearing is shot and they talked fast (and I didn't pay attention, since it wasn't costing me anything - shame on me for that [picture the teacher on the Peanuts cartoons]). I ran the OBDII just to see if would kick any sort of code back to me. I'll check the receipt I got from them to see if they put any notes, that's a really good idea. I'll also bulb check, another good idea, since I just hop in and start (and change my radio from whatever drivel my wife listens to :) ). I have to shoot out in a few so I'll check those things. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I checked and the bulbs come on for eight seconds at startup, then go out as expected. The paperwork I got from the dealer mentioned mentioned replacing the sensor and an unspecified light going out. I don't think the traction control works, either. I thought those two systems may be tied together, I don't remember.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,324 Posts
ESP, TRAC control and ABS all use the same sensors to measure wheel speeds and the same control module to turn individual brakes on or off.
It uses the ABS pump and valves to slow individual wheels in order to 'steer' the car out of a skid (without panic) and can apply the brake on a spinning wheel to help the one that has traction to get the car moving.
You should 'feel' and maybe hear the 'b-r-r-r-t' of the brake pedal as the pump and valves correct a traction 'event'.
If the dealer didn't convey what they did on your work order copy, perhaps it is written down on the back of the tech's hard copy on file?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll have to check it out with the dealer. I definitely don’t feel that pulsating you get with ABS and gunning it a little on an incline didn’t kick in my traction control. ABS did not kick in when I had the accident (I was driving slow and caught the other car backing out without her seeing me). I need to find an area with road conditions that would cause them to engage. The other thing is I have hardly driven the car since the pandemic started (maybe 3,000 miles since March of 2020), and I mostly do local driving, so I haven’t really used either ABS or traction control.

I will say my 200 is a tank. The back quarter of the other folded in and I had some scratches and a crack on the bottom of the grill.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its ORC module, not OCR. And yea, nothing that would cause the ABS light to turn on. If the light is on, there has to be codes in it. Perhaps the OBD scanner you’re using does not scan for ABS codes. Auto parts stores might be able to pull ABS codes. Its unlikely anything they did during this recall messed with the ABS, I was a technician at a Chrysler dealership for 10 years and know this recall very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts