Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow 200 fans. I recently bought a 2015 Chrysler 200 C AWD after an accident that totaled my 2017 Mazda 3 hatchback. Long story short this 200 C is probably the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. Cooled seats, heated steering wheel, panoramic sunroof, 295 hp V6; it just seems to tick all of my boxes.

Unfortunately, less than 5 days after I bought it I got an indicator of "ACC/FCW Unavailable Service Required". Automatic Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning were two of the biggest reasons I bought the car after my accident.

As the 200 is no longer in production, do ya'll have any recommendations for mechanics that can help out or estimated costs for a fix?

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
427 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The owners manual has a section that addresses the need to keep the front radar sensor and windshield clean and unobstructed.
If those items are OK, there may be a fault code stored that would give a direction for diagnosis. This would likely require a Chrysler dealer service dept.
A recent thread here described corrosion in the ACC/FCW module connector behind the grille. You might want to inspect and weatherproof (dielectric grease) this connector. Hopefully the module itself is OK.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Here is the earlier thread.

I strongly suggest you have it checked by a dealer as soon as possible.

In my own case this error message came and went briefly a few times over a three year period and I wrote it off to condensation on the sensor since the message always showed up early in the morning and went away on the next restart. In reality it was condensation inside the connector, and when all of a sudden it would not go away, the sensor module (which contains the processing unit for the system) was fried. This module lists for $1,560 and the wiring harness with the connector for ~$291, so you want to get this checked a the connector cleaned and sealed while it is still fixable, if it is not too late already.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
114 Posts
If you need to replace parts try "car-part.com" for a salvage yard near by or Ebay ... I'm sure you can find the parts much cheaper than RETAIL... A lot of the time you can have the part(s) repaired when the dealer says replace... Corrosion can be cleaned off and silicon grease can be added to stop further corrosion...
Dave

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you need to replace parts try "car-part.com" for a salvage yard near by or Ebay ... I'm sure you can find the parts much cheaper than RETAIL... A lot of the time you can have the part(s) repaired when the dealer says replace... Corrosion can be cleaned off and silicon grease can be added to stop further corrosion...
Dave
This is true. In fact, I could have purchased a used module on eBay for a few hundred $, however with no guarantee and non-returnable for refund. For peace of mind, and since I could afford to, I chose to ask the dealer for help with a discount instead. In this situation, in addition to working parts, you may also need access to a dealer's wiTECH system, or an independent shop that has one, or AlfaOBD, to realign proxy to reconnect with the module. Also note in the thread I linked to, even after the corrosion was cleaned off the module connector pins and the harness was replaced, the module still wouldn't function, as apparently it had been shorted out by the corrosion. 95% of the corrosion was on the harness connector, and it was extreme, though somehow still functioning 99% of the time until the day it didn't.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
114 Posts
Most reputable salvage yards offer at least a 30 day warranty (some offer a lifetime warranty) and will exchange a defective item they sold... and... yes most of the modules (MPUs/CPUs) will have to be "married" to your car's VIN by the dealer to do a "proxy realign"before the car will recognize the replacement module... This is something "new" on 2015 on FCA cars and the rest of the automotive industry will follow their lead...
This is a great way for FCA service departments to force you to pay and limit your repair abilities... In this case you can see the connectors before committing to buy the module...
Still... a used module with FCA reprogramming is way cheaper than one of their $1500 new/reman modules...
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts