Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new, not only this forum but to forums period so please excuse any ignorance I may show. But to the point now. I Have a 2011 Chrysler 200 LX 4 cylinder 2.4L, 4 speed automatic transmission with just over 40k miles on her. Love the car to death but I am having problems while accelerating and hoping someone can shed some light on my problem. This will only happen while coasting or accelerating out of a coast and no code is being thrown.

The problem:

After accelerating from a stop and I reach my cruising speed. My rpms will shoot down to 1.5k and make this (what I would best describe) bogging noise and you can feel a slight vibration. Now when I go to accelerate to a higher speed from that coast, the rpm needle will go up to 2k and then shoot down to 1.5k again and make this horrible noise (best way to describe it again) deep grumbling grinding kind of noise and you can really feel it then. Scares the **** out of me sometimes. The mph needle will rise but very slowly while the rmp needle kind of sits at 1.5k during this. But if I let my foot off the gas and let it decelerate for a minute and press it again it'll do it again, and other times it will accelerate but kind of bounce at 2k before accelerating. There's times where the only way to get out of the avoiding this problem is slamming on the gas pedal to get past that 2k marker.

What I've done:

Changed the spark plugs

Changed engine oil

Changed the Transmission fluid

What I'm thinking it could be:

O2 senor going bad (even though no code is being thrown)

TPS going bad

I am a do it myself kind of guy, and any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I am new, not only this forum but to forums period so please excuse any ignorance I may show. But to the point now. I Have a 2011 Chrysler 200 LX 4 cylinder 2.4L, 4 speed automatic transmission with just over 40k miles on her. Love the car to death but I am having problems while accelerating and hoping someone can shed some light on my problem. This will only happen while coasting or accelerating out of a coast and no code is being thrown.

The problem:

After accelerating from a stop and I reach my cruising speed. My rpms will shoot down to 1.5k and make this (what I would best describe) bogging noise and you can feel a slight vibration. Now when I go to accelerate to a higher speed from that coast, the rpm needle will go up to 2k and then shoot down to 1.5k again and make this horrible noise (best way to describe it again) deep grumbling grinding kind of noise and you can really feel it then. Scares the **** out of me sometimes. The mph needle will rise but very slowly while the rmp needle kind of sits at 1.5k during this. But if I let my foot off the gas and let it decelerate for a minute and press it again it'll do it again, and other times it will accelerate but kind of bounce at 2k before accelerating. There's times where the only way to get out of the avoiding this problem is slamming on the gas pedal to get past that 2k marker.

What I've done:

Changed the spark plugs

Changed engine oil

Changed the Transmission fluid

What I'm thinking it could be:

O2 senor going bad (even though no code is being thrown)

TPS going bad

I am a do it myself kind of guy, and any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

I know this is a very old post... I bought the same car a few months ago and I notice it does the same thing except that the sound that it makes when the rpm needle drops is not a scary sound but yes different more of a deep sound with a slight vibration. I was wondering if you ever figured out what it was. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
If you do change the ATF, use ATF+4 (meeting Chrysler MS-9602) only. Walmart sells SuperTech ATF+4.
Other types of ATF may damage the transaxle.
A couple of TSBs were released to address driveline behavior concerns, These are PCM/TCM software updates:

If this is a lock-up torque converter engaging, the RPM will drop, but there shouldn't be any offensive vibration from this. You may hear an engine exhaust drone. An OEM exhaust system may have a resonator to tune out drone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts