Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does the Serpentine belt belt last before it's time to replace it ?

Is it the same location as 2016 Chrysler 200 V6

How do I know if it was broke or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,858 Posts
The requested answers in the order you asked.

Some belt manufacturers suggest replacing the serpentine belt every 6 years or 60,000 miles.

Same location as the video ? Guess it depends on the engine.

You would know if it broke. Nothing would work. Did you mean worn ? If so, refer to answer #1.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Serpentine belts are pretty reliable, but should be checked every oil change. If they are showing signs of cracking, due to age, they should be replaced, Squealing noise indicates either a bad belt or bad tensioner pulley. If this occurs I would replace both. There is also an idler pulley that could be the culprit and should be replaced during the job.
I should point out that I trained on Aircraft preventive maintenance, so I have a tendency to be over cautious.

·
Super Moderator
2,480 Posts
It seems nobody has ever changed the belt for the Chrysler 200

I don't even know where its located because its hidden unlike the normal cars you see the belt at the front side of the engine.

Is the belt under the thermostat Housing ?
It's not easy to get to on a 2015 and newer 200 V6 - but it's in the same location - on the side - like any other modern front-wheel-drive based vehicle.

I have pics in this thread below post #20

You have to remove the front right (passenger) tire, all the splash shield behind it, the air-box and lower intake resonator to get to it. You have to drain the coolant and remove the lower radiator hose - and there's a plastic tab that HAS to be re-installed or the radiator hose might pop off - but by looking at it you'd think it was something to just keep the hose routed correctly.

If you do the job yourself, I would suggest replacing the lower radiator hose while you are there - it comes with a new plastic fastener - the OEM hose.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It seems nobody has ever changed the belt for the Chrysler 200

I don't even know where its located because its hidden unlike the normal cars you see the belt at the front side of the engine.

Is the belt under the thermostat Housing ?
Not true - I've changed the belt on my car and my wife's car - both 2.4L engines - proactively. As mentioned above, you have to remove the RF wheel, the wheelwell liners, and then it's a 5/8" bolt on the tensioner that can only be accessed from below. It's too close to the fenderwell to get at it any other way. I used a very large crescent wrench, as I could not get anything else to fit that gave me enough leverage.
Be sure to get the diagram as to how the belt goes on. It's very convoluted, and you will forget how it was routed once it's off.

·
Super Moderator
2,480 Posts
Not true - I've changed the belt on my car and my wife's car - both 2.4L engines - proactively. As mentioned above, you have to remove the RF wheel, the wheelwell liners, and then it's a 5/8" bolt on the tensioner that can only be accessed from below. It's too close to the fenderwell to get at it any other way. I used a very large crescent wrench, as I could not get anything else to fit that gave me enough leverage.
Be sure to get the diagram as to how the belt goes on. It's very convoluted, and you will forget how it was routed once it's off.
He has the 3.6 - the intake box and lower intake resonator need to come off as well - and 2 coolant hoses need removed. Not sure the setup on the 2.4.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did this job two months ago on my car due to a bad belt tensioner. On the 3.6 L, you have to remove the remove the two radiator hoses and remove the fender liner in order to replace the belt. Just be thankful you’re not doing the tensioner, you have to lower the right side of the motor down to get the bolt out because it’s so close to the frame rail. The worst part about doing about it is having to drain the coolant or quickly remove the hoses and put them back on then bleed system. Also, make sure to draw a map of how the belt goes, because there’s no diagram under the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts