Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light is on, cooling fan is on all the time, error code indicates that it's the active grill shutters.

I confirmed shutters are open all the time. I shut off the car, then manually closed the shutters. When I started it back up I saw them open back up again so I assume the motor is probably good.

Harness looked good as well, I re-seated the connectors.

Anyone have ideas as to the problem? I don't want to take it in for this if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
If the car thinks that it is running too warm, it will open the shutters and turn on the radiator fan. What temp does the PCM think it is?
What is the actual 'P' code?

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan comes on maybe 1 minute after the car starts up, the fan is on regardless of engine or ambient temp.

The code is U11E9 - lost communication active grille shutter.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
A loss of communication would default the AGS motor and radiator fans to full cooling for engine protection. May be a module or wiring/CAN bus issue?
I have seen wiring under the front bumper damaged from a road object strike.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will re-check the harness, I might have missed something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My check engine light is on, cooling fan is on all the time, error code indicates that it's the active grill shutters.

I confirmed shutters are open all the time. I shut off the car, then manually closed the shutters. When I started it back up I saw them open back up again so I assume the motor is probably good.

Harness looked good as well, I re-seated the connectors.

Anyone have ideas as to the problem? I don't want to take it in for this if I don't have to.
Your thermostat is stuck open. That's it. Get a coolant flush while you're at it.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your thermostat is stuck open. That's it. Get a coolant flush while you're at it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my thermostat isn't stuck open. Although my trans temp is slightly cooler now, the engine still gets to normal temp just as quickly as before. It doesn't need a flush because the radiator was replaced a little less than a year ago.

2015 200s 3.6 AWD
146 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but my thermostat isn't stuck open. Although my trans temp is slightly cooler now, the engine still gets to normal temp just as quickly as before. It doesn't need a flush because the radiator was replaced a little less than a year ago.
Are you in a warm climate ?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Still, it shouldn't be throwing a Lost Communication fault code no matter what temperature it is seeing.
I have the U11E9 diagnostic procedures in pdf if you want them. Provide an email address in a PM if you would like them.
These are the 'Possible Causes' to rule out one by one as you can. Fuse is F69 (10A), B+ is Rd, Gnd is Bk, LIN Bus is Wt/Tn.:

Possible Causes
LIN BUS CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
LIN BUS CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER FUSED B+ CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you in a warm climate ?
Denver, CO

Other than the fan being stuck on because of the AGS losing communications, I am 100% certain my cooling system is working correctly, the engine temps are normal. I am just hoping it isn't the PCM and maybe I missed something on the harness. I did have the bumper cover off a while ago (last summer) when I replaced the radiator. I didn't re-check the large connector behind the bumper cover.

Still, it shouldn't be throwing a Lost Communication fault code no matter what temperature it is seeing.
I have the U11E9 diagnostic procedures in pdf if you want them. Provide an email address in a PM if you would like them.
These are the 'Possible Causes' to rule out one by one as you can. Fuse is F69 (10A), B+ is Rd, Gnd is Bk, LIN Bus is Wt/Tn.:

Possible Causes
LIN BUS CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
LIN BUS CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER FUSED B+ CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Thank you. PM sent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The ECM is trying to talk to the "active grill" and there is no communication with it... These cars rely on electronic controls for mechanical processes and the active grill will default to wide open "if" the ECM can't talk to it (to keep the engine cool)... This is a known problem with the 200 cars... You could put a scope on the data line at the active grill wire and look for data on the wire with it disconnected... If you get data on the wire then the active gate is not responding (replying) to the ECM's query checking to "see" if it is present during POST (power on self tests) when the car first starts up... I got one of the active gates off of a totalled 200 to repair/replace the physically damaged one on my rebuild of my rebuilt salvage 200s... It wouldn't talk to the ECM but the vanes where OK so I moved the vanes to my original that could "talk" and solved the "no communication" problem and the ECM could then confirm that it existed and then it could control it...

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure you got what I was saying...
I'm a retired electronic tech and I'm comfortable with data and communications and these cars do rely heavily on electronic interfaces to do simple tasks...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to check fuse F69 with an ohmmeter and realized it's probably fine since my shifter works and is on the same fuse, while doing that I noticed this and it looks like it's not fully seated:

Does this look as if it's not completely seated to you? I haven't been able to get my hand in there but this looks wrong to me. Not sure when/if this was ever disconnected or why, I know it wasn't me because - I have never needed to do anything in that area.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Maybe so. Are the connector halves latched together? If you pull on it, do they separate?
The orange plastic lock tab should hold the latch secured if it is pushed up (in the picture).
Push down (in the picture) to unlock it.
When I get home, I will send you the diagnostic procedures.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe so. Are the connector halves latched together? If you pull on it, do they separate?
Thanks. I'll try tonight when I am done with work - or ask my son to. I seriously cannot get my hand in there without trying to move a bunch of stuff lol

Now I can actually troubleshoot the thing. Thank you 200_S_AWD!

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help so far. I am finally looking at this, it's time for an oil change anyway, so perfect time.

Observation: ACTIVE GRILL SHUTTER FUSED B+ always has the same power as battery regardless of if ignition is on or not at the fuse and at the AGS connector. I am thinking it's not supposed to be this way, but am not sure.

If I unplug the AGS connector with the ignition off, then manually close the grill shutters, with the ignition still off I plug back in the AS connector, the actuator opens the shutters.

I have verified there is no continuity between ground and the (D511) LIN BUS circuit at the AGS connector, and the black wire at the AGS connector has continuity with ground.

Do you know where the PCM C1 harness connector is located?

I am trying to test continuity between (D511) LIN BUS circuit between the AGS harness connector and the PCM C1 harness connector.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
C1 and C2 are 96-way connectors. C1 looks to be towards the front of the car, while C2 is behind it.
See attached:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
C1 and C2 are 96-way connectors. C1 looks to be towards the front of the car, while C2 is behind it.
See attached:
Thanks again.

I bet it's fine (wiring), maybe there's something broken in the AGS stepper motor assembly itself. I'll find out tonight. I don't like throwing parts at a problem, especially since the part isn't cheap or a wear out part like a spark plug, but I bet I end up needing a new AGS assembly after all.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you get the TSB 08-081-14 email I sent?
Yes I did thanks.

I didn't ever turn on the car with the connector disconnected. I have erased the code and the CEL comes back on after the first cycle - fan stays on full blast and AGS stay open, AGS never initializes (does not open and close on startup).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts