Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed a dashcam and used the touch screen as the display for the touch screen? most dash cams have displays but now they seem to me migrating towards the cars that have their own displays. so before i dig into my car looking for something that may not be there i figured i would ask to see if some has done that already. and if anyone has is there instruction for doing this? those dash cams do operate using your phone but if i already have the display in the car why bother plugging in the phone and then the app to get it see the camera. i'm not wanting to just watch the cam but now and then to monitor is good. thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i have a backup camera i want to install a dash camera to see where i'm going. for potential crashes, do not need it for anything else. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
thanks but i have a backup camera i want to install a dash camera to see where i'm going. for potential crashes, do not need it for anything else. thanks
Now I understand.
You want a forward facing camera that shows though the existing dash screen.
Most of what I've seen of that type are cameras that record the action for playback if needed. For instance ( just throwing out a name ) the GoPro set-ups.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i have 2 of these now but i see the newer unit don't seem to have the viewing screen they want you to use your camera. i guess that is ok for setting it up and if you need to see it in a pinch but i still like the ability to just look up and see the video. in some youtubes they show these playing thru the car's screen or maybe they mounted a tablet in the car? but i was asking if anyone did happen to know if it was possible to connect these cameras into the cars display. again thanks

·
Registered
769 Posts
Personally I have not heard of a dash cam that projects to the radio screen. But you really don't need it to. There are numerous cams available and I settled for the you can see in my signature. It works well and it has a screen showing at all times. After awhile you don't even think about it and forget it's there. All videos are recorded to an micro sd card and if you get into an accident (like I did last year) you can download it to your computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7HEh23x4U

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks but if you start researching them now they are starting to show up on the market with no display screens. so now i know this can be done so that answers my question. thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
769 Posts
thanks but if you start researching them now they are starting to show up on the market with no display screens. so now i know this can be done so that answers my question. thanks all for the help.
You really need to think twice before tying one of these new devices into the cars electrical systems. I personally would be a little dubious about doing so. I have read some horror stories of some of us getting themselves into trouble because they underestimated the way these cars are set up electronically. I often refer to this 200 as a computer with wheels on it. Anyway, please keep us informed of your progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts