Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, had found that my 3.6 liter did not just need cams to be replaced, apparently even a piston was messed up as well and effectively required an engine replacement. My understanding is the bearings on a rocker (might have been a few) went bad (never heard a ticking noise), wore out the cam, messed up the piston, plug and other things on the engine. Soooo....

• Dealer confirmed more 9 speeds failing, mine was slamming gears really bad this past few months. I had become uncomfortable with the longevity of this trans.
  • Suspension was fully worn out, car was becoming bouncy and was very expensive to replace
  • I knew the air conditioner compressor was failing, but would never act up for dealer when under warranty.
Rather than fixing, knowing of numerous other expensive fixes this car requires, I traded it for a 2019 Nissan Altima SV. It just made sense to replace especially with great deals out there for model year ends.

I used to really push the great features and how nice the 200 was to people. But can't now with my bad experience. I won't go into detail as to why the Altima and other sedans I tested really are better cars. But you all with higher miles on the 3.6 liter should check to make sure you don't hear a ticking noise. If you have a rough running engine, get into dealer to be looked at. Don't let them tell you just put in fuel injector cleaner to fix. That was nonsense.

But will say I will miss the following off the 200 that other cars don't have:

The great center console - You don't realize how nice it is until you don't have it. The angle to the console was really nice for the controls to AC and stereo.
Uconnect - while other systems are good, Uconnect appears to me to still be among the easiest to use.

Take care all!

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Thanks for the update and all your contributions here Travman - please feel free to stop by and post here anytime. Congrats on the new car.

Altima SV? Turbo?

·
Super Moderator
1,884 Posts
Sorry you had such a bad experience with your 200. I hope you can check in from time to time and let us know how your new choice of vehicle is performing.
Good luck !

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sucks all the issues you had. Hopefully for the rest of us they will be few and far between. Thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update and all your contributions here Travman - please feel free to stop by and post here anytime. Congrats on the new car.

Altima SV? Turbo?
I just got the base engine but with options that I really enjoy. The way I've been driving the past few years, I've been more into efficiency on MPG's over speed. I'm getting 42mpg's right now and am really impressed.

I really do hope none of you all have the issues I have had.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
Looks good! Even with the base engine those have some respectable acceleration from what I read, and that's outstanding MPG you are getting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope it doesn't have the CVT transmission -- three people at my work have found out the hard way that they are junk by 50,000 miles

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had to get rid of your 200, but congratulations on your new vehicle. Just out of curiosity what happened with the piston? My 3.6 L has been running rough and the dealer wants to pretty much only try things that are customer pay to resolve it. I do have a ticking in the engine now and I had metal flakes in my oil during my last change. But they say, they have to find them in order to confirm that there is an issue. I’m still under power train warranty, It sounds like you were as well, but decided to get out while you could. It sounds like you were as well, but decided to get out while you could.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear that you had to get rid of your 200, but congratulations on your new vehicle. Just out of curiosity what happened with the piston? My 3.6 L has been running rough and the dealer wants to pretty much only try things that are customer pay to resolve it. I do have a ticking in the engine now and I had metal flakes in my oil during my last change. But they say, they have to find them in order to confirm that there is an issue. I’m still under power train warranty, It sounds like you were as well, but decided to get out while you could. It sounds like you were as well, but decided to get out while you could.
I was no longer under my extended warranty. I had over 126,000 miles on my 2015 200C. I was told over $5000 for rebuilt engine replacement.

It was explained to me that the piston (scored?) the cylinder walls in a way that the oil was going everywhere. I was told and cannot verify otherwise, that this was caused by the worn out camshaft which was caused by the worn out rocker bearings. This also ruined the spark plug, fuel injector and coil (of which I paid for all 3 only to find engine was hosed afterwards).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do realize that many people have seen others whom had cars break down. I have heard this all the time with all kinds of cars. I have heard from others that Chrysler's are junk when I bought my 200...not to buy Fords, not to buy Chevy's, Toyota's or Honda's cause they too are problem vehicles...YES, I have heard this often from people whom have had issues with Honda's and Toyota's.

Truth is, there is no car out there that we will not hear from someone that says it's junk. Each one of us needs to just do some research on what we view as a good vehicle for our needs, understand what you like and want and not listen to anyone but yourself on what you buy.

Everyone Peace! Enjoy the 200, it is a nice car when it works properly, but that too can be said with any mechanical device! :) For now and hopefully many years will enjoy the Nissan.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This past weekend, had found that my 3.6 liter did not just need cams to be replaced, apparently even a piston was messed up as well and effectively required an engine replacement. My understanding is the bearings on a rocker (might have been a few) went bad (never heard a ticking noise), wore out the cam, messed up the piston, plug and other things on the engine. Soooo....

• Dealer confirmed more 9 speeds failing, mine was slamming gears really bad this past few months. I had become uncomfortable with the longevity of this trans.
  • Suspension was fully worn out, car was becoming bouncy and was very expensive to replace
  • I knew the air conditioner compressor was failing, but would never act up for dealer when under warranty.
Rather than fixing, knowing of numerous other expensive fixes this car requires, I traded it for a 2019 Nissan Altima SV. It just made sense to replace especially with great deals out there for model year ends.

I used to really push the great features and how nice the 200 was to people. But can't now with my bad experience. I won't go into detail as to why the Altima and other sedans I tested really are better cars. But you all with higher miles on the 3.6 liter should check to make sure you don't hear a ticking noise. If you have a rough running engine, get into dealer to be looked at. Don't let them tell you just put in fuel injector cleaner to fix. That was nonsense.

The great center console - You don't realize how nice it is until you don't have it. The angle to the console was really nice for the controls to AC and stereo.
Uconnect - while other systems are good, Uconnect appears to me to still be among the easiest to use.

Take care all!

·
Registered
332 Posts

Take care all!
Wow, sorry to hear all of that went bad. I guess I am not overly surprised. I certainly hope it doesn't happen with either of my 200Cs. What mileage were you at when all of this happened? My first one currently has nearly 90,000 miles on it. My second that I just picked up 2 months ago has just over 29,000 miles on it and I plan on garaging it most of the time once I get some new Rubber on it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, sorry to hear all of that went bad. I guess I am not overly surprised. I certainly hope it doesn't happen with either of my 200Cs. What mileage were you at when all of this happened? My first one currently has nearly 90,000 miles on it. My second that I just picked up 2 months ago has just over 29,000 miles on it and I plan on garaging it most of the time once I get some new Rubber on it.
I was at 126k miles. I've been reading more and more about cams being eaten on the 3.6 liter. I would suggest checking often to make sure you don't hear the ticking noise. Moment you hear it, have it checked. The quicker the valves get fixed, the less likely it could cause further damage. Like spreading the metal flakes throughout the engine if the oil filter did not protect like it should.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But you all with higher miles on the 3.6 liter should check to make sure you don't hear a ticking noise. If you have a rough running engine, get into dealer to be looked at. Don't let them tell you
I am really sorry man to hear what you have been through and the whole experience with Chrysler 200. I wish you all the best and I hope your altima hold up with your expectation of reliable car.

Ticking noise is caused by (Rocker Arm and Lifters) usually the rocker arm in penstat V6 , if left untreated it will cause a harm to the Cam in and you will have to replace it.

But since You don't have a ticking noise , how come your Cam is worn out ?

I am just wondering what is the interval of engine oil intervals you are using , and the enging oil specs and viscosity.... and if there is any recommendation you would give us to increase the longetivity of the engine , we would totally appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am really sorry man to hear what you have been through and the whole experience with Chrysler 200. I wish you all the best and I hope your altima hold up with your expectation of reliable car.

Ticking noise is caused by (Rocker Arm and Lifters) usually the rocker arm in penstat V6 , if left untreated it will cause a harm to the Cam in and you will have to replace it.

But since You don't have a ticking noise , how come your Cam is worn out ?

I am just wondering what is the interval of engine oil intervals you are using , and the enging oil specs and viscosity.... and if there is any recommendation you would give us to increase the longetivity of the engine , we would totally appreciate it.

The dealership told me there was a ticking noise. I just never heard it, but honestly, I didn't even bother opening the hood, and am betting I would have heard it then. (I have had hearing issues in one ear starting this past year and could be a reasoning to it as well).

I always used Pennzoil 5w20 semi synthetic at the dealerships with the exception to 2 times I went to a quick lube due to time constraints. (Please no arguments that dealerships use cheaper lube, Chrysler dealers are under contract to use Pennzoil). BUT, I generally changed the oil at every 5000 to 6000 miles. Always checked oil weekly to make sure it didn't appear too dirty and such. But this is a really good question of yours. I am wondering if following the guidance in the handbook for changing oil every 5k is too much. Perhaps it really should have been every 3k miles?

I also very much remember a guy posting around September of 2014 telling a number of us to switch to full synthetic due to cam issues. I remember I and a number of others kind of written the dude off thinking it wasn't going to be an issue on these newer 200's.

I have wondered if anyone who bought the 2015 200 v6 new and started right away using full synthetic has had any cam issues when going over 110,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, of the over 700,000 units sold there are only a few complaints on this forum about cam failures. That is good.
Not trying to scare anyone here, but how many 200 v6 owners have over 100k miles? Could be why we don't hear much on failures, because not too many are over the 100k mark yet. Google search Chrysler 3.6 liter cam issues. You will see many issues from Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and even VW with their minivan clone. I did check out some other forums and other members have stated it didn't matter what oil was used full synthetic or semi. Their tech's working on their cars stated it was a wearing issue that oil and time of changing oil didn't matter.

This does bum me out, cause I really did like my 200C. I special ordered it in summer 2014, really thought highly of this v6. All Chrysler had to do was input some ever so slightly higher quality bearings for the valves and this would be a non issue. It also bums me out since I was so close to paying it off and was looking forward to having a paid off car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
While I feel for your problems the camshaft/rocker arm thing really isn't remarkable. These things come and go. They are related to small batches of manufacturing defects. Like, for example, all the camshafts made in one month might not be up to spec. It is not like all camshafts made in the last nine years on over 10 million engines made have junk rocker arms. https://carbuzz.com/news/10-million-units-of-the-pentastar-v6-have-now-been-made

I have personally seen many different products where the initial release was way overbuilt. Each successive year of production reveals the manufacturer tries to source cheaper parts to make more money. Quite often they come out with an "upgrade" that may solve one problem but causes another un-for-seen problem.

So back to the 200. I've seen guys on here bitch that their brakes only lasted 15,000 or 30,000 miles. My brakes are at 102,000 miles. Did they get a bad batch of brakes? Does the 200 have some huge problem with their brakes that Chrysler is covering up? Maybe some shop ripped them off and told them they needed brakes when they didn't. Maybe the driver abuses the car. Who knows. Some people complained of wheel bearing problems. Do all 200s have bad wheel bearings? No, they do not. Maybe some people drive on rotten roads with pot holes. My favorite is, "my heater core is plugged I'll never buy another Chrysler again". LOL. I'd much rather have a plugged heater core then electrical problems. Anyway, I rambled too long. Cheers and good luck with the Altima. I rented one one time and drove across Montana at 100 mph. It ain't no Chrysler 200. Heh heh. I also did the same with a Hyundai Elantra. I thought the suspension was going to collapse with just me in it. My 200 has had 100 lbs of bike, 45 lbs bike carrier, 40 lbs reciever hitch and a truck full of gear and people in the car. That thing moves. I think the 6 speed transmission throws down more torque than the 9 speed with far less shifting. Of course the 6 speed can't touch the fuel mileage of the 9 speed but such is life.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I feel for your problems the camshaft/rocker arm thing really isn't remarkable. It is not like all camshafts made in the last nine years on over 10 million engines made have junk rocker arms. https://carbuzz.com/news/10-million-units-of-the-pentastar-v6-have-now-been-made
A customer spends over $32,000 on a car (yes I was an early purchaser rather than waiting a year for nearly $10k discounts), the customer has a right to expect a certain level of quality to the product. It should be a reasonable expectation to see the 200k mile marker without major engine issues on ANY vehicles being sold today. That being said, this is not a new issue that Chrysler has had with this engine, they had many years to refine this engine.

But this is getting to be a tit for tat discussion and that isn't what I wanted here. It was more of HEY guys keep up with the maintenance and fix the cam issues early before it does any further damage to the engine type of discussion like it did with my car. I'm REALLY not interested in arguing whose car is better. BUT will agree, 100mph in any car isn't really a good idea on a public road, let alone in a base rental Altima's with only 16 inch wheels.....eeek.

Oh and the 200C's brake were AMAZING! I still had the original brakes at 126k miles and the oil change 2 weeks prior to engine failure the dealer told me I had a good 40% brake pad left. WOW! I have NEVER had brakes last me beyond 65k miles before.

I'm still trying to picture 100 pounds of bikes on a 200 though. I only dared to put 2 bikes, 60 pounds on my 25 pound Saris rack with my Chrysler hitch receiver as recommended by Chrysler. OH and the Chrysler hitch receivers are super nice, expensive at $500, but were nice that they were hidden unlike what I'm going to have to put onto the Altima. I'm betting the scrap yard will sell that easily along with other parts of the car. I have never had adults sitting in my back seat, only kids. I usually received a line: "Lets take my car instead" so I don't know what it felt like to have adults in the back seat of the 200.

I came back to the forum to give further advice on what to fix on some peoples 200's and what to watch out for. I've owned the car for 5 years, was hoping I could be of help. Now that people are giving me the same speeches I used to give the past so many years (which I'm laughing at myself for), I'm thinking maybe now is a time to just finally stop contributing to the forum. But will add, this is a cool forum, I've checked out the Nissan forums and yea....the Altima along with other mid sizers are more of an appliance and it shows in their forums.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts