Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
I came back to the forum to give further advice on what to fix on some peoples 200's and what to watch out for. I've owned the car for 5 years, was hoping I could be of help. Now that people are giving me the same speeches I used to give the past so many years (which I'm laughing at myself for), I'm thinking maybe now is a time to just finally stop contributing to the forum. But will add, this is a cool forum, I've checked out the Nissan forums and yea....the Altima along with other mid sizers are more of an appliance and it shows in their forums.
Hey Travman - please continue to stop by and post anytime if you'd like, I agree this is a cool forum. There are many of us including me that appreciate your helpful advise and experience. You had a bad experience. Most people won't buy another of the same brand that they had a bad experience with - much less the same car, it makes perfect sense. I am having an inner fight myself as to if I would buy another. I have had some of the same issues with mine as you did with yours. I love/hate my 200.

I had a 2011 Maxima where the crankshaft bearings failed at 49K miles and the shortblock was replaced under warranty, and Nissan provided a rental - not the dealer but Nissan via the dealer and was stated that they had to in the warranty from Nissan. I also would have felt safer in a new Corvette with summer tires in the snow than in my old 11' Maxima, and that was with 2 different new sets of decent tires. Would I buy another Maxima? Probably not. I did finally stop posting on the maxima.org forums sometime around the time I got my wife her 13's 200 limited (my family's second 200) - only cause the forums were boring. My handlte there was NOT Black Knight or any variation therof.

I have driven several generations of Altima and they are not the same horrible car in the snow, in fact I don't know how they are the same brand, completely different experience, although besides the snow thing, Maxima like the Altima was a nice car - but the Maxima had the old CVT in 2011 and the Altima of the same year had the newer one - made no sense to me the flagship gets the old outdated stuff, CVT in the Altima was better.

Sorry to go off topic... but I just wanted to thank you for your posts here and let you know that me and I know many others here are glad you have been around and contribute.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound combative. Since I am a mechanic I don't always approach the forum as a consumer. It's pretty much all nuts and bolts to me no matter what brand it is so I don't take it personal when someone talks about my car. Back in the early days of the forum I remember people complaining that their headlights were aimed too low or too high. People were saying, I am never buying another Chrysler again and we should get a class action lawsuit going. People were going to die! How dare Chrysler do such a thing. Then I would post that I had the same problem, I opened the hood, turned a screw and closed my hood. GASP!

Anyway, I always thought the forum shouldn't have the two completely different cars lumped together.

I never expected my camshaft to go out but I really thought the transmission wouldn't make it. The only expensive thing that I had happen was the plugged heater core. In reality, although it sucks to pay for that, when you compare it to "real" car problems it is nothing. The point that I was trying to make about the camshaft was that a automotive factory doesn't make parts, they assemble parts that are already made. Camshaft problems are usually because of a manufacturing error, not an assembly or design flaw. So out of 10 million engines sold, from time to time they receive a bad batch of parts like say a 1000. They get dispersed between all the brands that use that engine. I've seen sister trucks come off the assembly line and one was a piece of crap and the other never had any problems. It's crazy.

I hope I don't have any camshaft problems but thanks to your post I'll keep an eye on the oil filter. Thankfully the pleated filter isn't encased in metal so it can be checked easily at any time. I am at 7yrs now and I hope to get 10 more. Cheers.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Thanks for the update and all your contributions here Travman - please feel free to stop by and post here anytime. Congrats on the new car.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts