Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big audio system upgrade in my 200 soon and I'm worried my alternator wont be manly enough to keep my car running once everything is installed.
Does anyone know the amperage of the V6 alternator?
Does anyone know how to take out the alternator to upgrade it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Stock amp rating with the V6 is 160 amps.

The stock amp will be fine with everyday driving. Ten years ago, most cars had 90-110amp alternators and were less efficient back then (no LED lighting for instance). This company makes hi-output alternators. They don't list any 200 applications but I'm certain they can fulfull your need https://www.dcpowerinc.com/ They don't come cheap either. A 270amp (if possible) will run $600+.

Another option is to get an idle controller (I'm not sure where) so you can increase idle to maintain a charge while using the factory alternator.

The key is to find out at what rpm the peak output is available. The OEM alternator might peak as early as 2000rpm, where as a custom 270amp might peak at 2750rpm, making it less of a bargain.

If you keep the OEM alternator, you also keep your warranty. Running more batteries will help lower the amperage draw considerably. Sticking with the one battery and running multiple subs, mids, and amps will lower its lifespan rather quickly. I would look into getting some Optima Red Top batteries, or Odyssey batteries. Any battery that's deep cycle design.

Knowingly you won't have use for the spare tire anyway if you plan to fill the trunk up with audio equipment. So ditch the spare and set in some good large commercial deep cycle batteries. The downside will be increased weight so you have to decide which item you want to compromise. Weight will eat into useable passenger payload, as I'm sure you're aware.

The best thing would be to install everything (stereo wise) and take the car to a shop where they can load test the electrical system with the stereo on. If the amp draw is high, they can recommend a larger alternator, or additional battery power.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I used to install car stereos, alarms, etc. Extra batteries are nice but really heavy and requires a charging switch and relays to maintain the charge without overloading the stock electrical system. These are not cheap pieces either. The device we used, after the batcap came out, was hybrid capcitors. They are basically scaled down industrial caps that also act as batteries when not under full load. My old shop used them all the time and customers loved the weight savings and they are budget friendly. Look up www.poweracoustik.com and check them out. I know the name isn't that great for audio, but i have never seen one of their hybrid caps fail. Also, buy the biggest one you can afford to save money upgrading later on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts