Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car used. I was given one key. (SEE ATTACHED). The few times I have locked my keys in my car I'm either out alot of money for a Locke Smith or dents and scratches bare left from me doing the ( do it yourself) method. Is there a universal fob or something that I can get? Also I don't have remote start. The key hole that is on the driver's side door handle will/does not work. It never has. Hense the reason I am needing another fob.
Peripheral Yellow Audio equipment Gadget Cable

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,411 Posts
Yikes! That is one very worn key.
Ones from the dealer are very expensive, but sometimes they will cut and program it for free if you ask.
It also helps if you are a regular customer.

I have heard stories about keys bought from the internet that are duds, but if you use PayPal you are protected. It's just a hassle when it happens. You won't hear all the stories about the keys that did work as represented.
Mopar lists the keys according to the options (sales codes) on the 200, Sedan or Convertible, Domestic or Export.
Your VIN is used to select the correct key type, 4-digit program code and tooth cut pattern for your car. An authorized and licensed locksmith should be able to look up the information needed. Many offer a mobile service.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

Ebay can offer keys at 1/10 the price of a factory key. I have not done business with this seller, but with over 1000 sold, they must be doing something right. Get 2 new keys.
They will still need to be cut and programmed.

Product Font Screenshot Software Web page

As for the key not opening the door, does the key insert but not turn? The key cylinder may need lubrication. I use a foaming graphite penetrant followed by a blast of compressed air to work it into the mechanism. Work the key back and forth to try and free the cylinder.
The locksmith may have a good key cylinder lubricant handy.
Avoid getting sprays or solvents on the paint. Wipe it off right away if it does.

Reactions: Likemydodge

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is no fob without a key. The key does not add much to the cost and can be cut separately for under $10. My suggestion is to have a new key cut but not from your very worn key but from the keycode available from the dealer (there should be no cost to look up the keycode). It is possible the key does not work in the door due to wear. If the current key is original, there should be a part number on the back to use for ordering.

In the list 200_s_awd provided, body code 41 is the 4-door sedan and 27 is the convertible. XBM sales code is for remote start so you need a part number that does not have XBM so looking at the list your part number is likely not in this list as all show XBM. Your mopar part number is likely 5179514ac (4-button fob) or this keyfob replaces what you have. Use this part number to search online.

Another key fob site

Unfortunately you will need to have the key programmed by someone, dealer or locksmith, as 2 working keys are needed to program the new key yourself. The new keyfob will not work without being programmed/matched to the vehicle.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,411 Posts
Those key teeth are extremely worn. There may come a day that it won't turn in the ignition cylinder at all.
I do suggest key replacement.
Doing 2 keys at the same time is not that much more work than cutting and programming a single key.

Part information. An aftermarket (generic) key will have a different part # than a factory (Mopar) key. The smith will still need to access the secret key code from Chrysler and match the tooth cut pattern.
The old key teeth are so worn, they probably won't try to clone the pattern from it for the new key.:
Font Audio equipment Gadget Cable Service

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 Touring
3 Posts
I ordered a replacement key fob/key online from MoparGiants.com and have also had good luck with MoparAmerica.com. The keyfobs are genuine Mopar replacements and will work every time. I've also heard people have poor luck with the cheap non-Mopar key fobs. A dealer is going to charge at least $50 to program the fob to your car so might as well purchase a key you know is going to work. Also they will use your VIN number to cut the key instead of trying to duplicate the key from your worn one. If your key is worn like in the picture, your outside door lock might work again with a new key cut from the specs the dealer will use from your VIN number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.