Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2015 200/S with the 8.4 screen and the Alpine system. The current system incorporated in the electronics "shows" 3G on the display when using textintg and bluetooth for the phone.

Trouble is, as we know, 3G is basically obsolete plus my phone calls are dropped all the time. Is there any update to 4G from Chrysler?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Greetings,

I have a 2015 200/S with the 8.4 screen and the Alpine system. The current system incorporated in the electronics "shows" 3G on the display when using textintg and bluetooth for the phone.

Trouble is, as we know, 3G is basically obsolete plus my phone calls are dropped all the time. Is there any update to 4G from Chrysler?

Thanks!
I may be wrong, so hopefully someone else will chime in.
The 8.4 UConnect has a 3G system for the wi-fi. ( separate purchase required )
The signal received is what the phone carrier sends out.
In other words, the phone carrier may be on either 3G or 4G, depending on your area, etc.
So, let's see if someone can explain it.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Visit your nearest store, with your ID proof and Photo. Tell them you want to upgrade your SIM 3G network to 4G. They will complete paperwork and give your new 4G SIM with the same mobile number. It will take 12-24 hour to start your new sim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Visit your nearest store, with your ID proof and Photo. Tell them you want to upgrade your SIM 3G network to 4G. They will complete paperwork and give your new 4G SIM with the same mobile number. It will take 12-24 hour to start your new sim.
and where is the sim located in the car, i image they have to change it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Changing the SIM, assuming it even has one (not all 3G networks use SIMs, Verizon and Sprint didn't adopt them until LTE) would not do anything since the UConnect on these cars does not have the 4G hardware. However, unless you are using the in car wifi through UConnect Access this does not affect anything.

To answer the original question, the 3G you are seeing has nothing to do with your phone and is only the car's data connection through UConnect, which is a completely separate cellular connection and has nothing to do with texting or calling from your phone. If you are getting dropped calls it's more an issue with your phone or cellular provider than the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that answers my question, and I was talking about connecting through the Uconnect. I didn't think there was really a way to upgrade it. When I bought the car, I was suprised it was only 3g and I didn't know what network provider they were using. My 2019 Ram has 4g/lte trough Att instead of the uconnect, which is a much better way of doing it with the embedded cell. Even that will be slow when 5g becomes mainstream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts