Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 215 on 17's, which sucks when you have a V6, always spinning the wheels since it's FWD, was wondering if anyone is running 255 tires on 18's.
If not, what do suggest, I went to www.tirerack.com but they don't show what I can do when I select my car, except what OE is in 17, 18 and 19. I don't want 19 because I want some sidewall to absorb bumps..., 18 with 255 is what I have in mind, anyone?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys, I jumped the gun a little, 255 would not be a good fit, but 245 would be ok with 18x8 with 245/45-18 tires, offset would still be 40mm and rim width on the tires is 8, so it would not be a problem.
245/45-18 would be a bit taller than stock 215/55-17, but that's ok, I'd rather it be a bit taller that shorter, for better ground clearance..., even if it's not much, still better than lower.
I've been looking around online for an hour and I came up with this combo, what do you think, anyone running 245 on 18x8?

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/velox-apex/p/20388

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bridgestone-driveguard/p/19754

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thought I had, how about going from stock 215/55-17 to 235/50-17 on the stock 17" wheels? Same height.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone knows the rim width for our 17" wheels?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I had those on my 2012 200 and other than wearing a bit fast, loved them, my kid sister is even looking at getting another set for her 2014 Challenger R/T Classic. Only reason I didn't buy another set is that I popped a tire and needed something ASAP and the V-Rated Firestone Firehawk A/S I have on it right now were the only ones in my price range that could be had that quick, while those aren't as good and the BFG's, they're pretty good and I have no complaints on them so far. My car had the 225/50TR18 Eagle LS2's from the factory (stay away, those suck!) and the BFGs and 'Stones have been 235/50 ZR or VR 18 and my Sister's Challenger runs 245/45ZR20. I have thought that if I ever get to try 18x8 instead of the factory 18x7, I might try those BFGs in 255/45ZR18, though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had those on my 2012 200 and other than wearing a bit fast, loved them, my kid sister is even looking at getting another set for her 2014 Challenger R/T Classic. Only reason I didn't buy another set is that I popped a tire and needed something ASAP and the V-Rated Firestone Firehawk A/S I have on it right now were the only ones in my price range that could be had that quick, while those aren't as good and the BFG's, they're pretty good and I have no complaints on them so far. My car had the 225/50TR18 Eagle LS2's from the factory (stay away, those suck!) and the BFGs and 'Stones have been 235/50 ZR or VR 18 and my Sister's Challenger runs 245/45ZR20. I have thought that if I ever get to try 18x8 instead of the factory 18x7, I might try those BFGs in 255/45ZR18, though.

I had Eagle LS2 on my car back in 2006, they sucked big time, felt like dry was icy conditions, always slipping and sliding, came with the car.

Anyway, I found out that Walmart has the 2 tires I'm interested in: BF Goodrich Comp 2, https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGOODRICH-G-FORCE-COMP-2-A-S-Passenger-Car-Tire-235-50-17-96W/44658616, and also Pilot Sport A/S 3+, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-A-S-3-235-50ZR17/54562786, and free pickup, so I would save some cash by not having them shipped using Tirerack.com, and forget Discount tire, they always add stuff that cost more and they won't put on anything that is not stock size.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Try THIS tire calculator. It might help

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know the rim width of the stock 17" wheels?

Wether it's 7.5 or 8, the 235 tires I want to put on are within the recommended rim width, so it should be good.

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Joe, If you go into THIS site you can bring up the original equipment list for your car. You need only insert your VIN. From that list it should show you which rims came with your car and what options it had from the factory.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The standard rim for FWD Cs was 17 inches, 18 & 19 optional. The standard rims for AWD Cs and all Ss were 18 inches, 19 optional.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Standard and Optional UF Wheels.

UFwheels.jpg

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
17" with 215 tires standard on a V6 C, that makes no sense whatsoever, if there is a V6 in there you need more traction, smallest should have always been 18" with 235 tires, let the 4 banger guys have their 17" to save money on a base model, don't put that crap with a V6 car, seriously FCA!

Anyway, I'm gonna put 235 GForce Comp 2 on my 17", no need to spend money on new wheels, I ain't rich, still owe more on the loan than the car is worth, and yes I pay about $100 more than minimum, still, gonna be a while to catch up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGOODRI...25014531362062473781&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Those BFG tires are worth the money, when I compared those, to the Michelin's you were looking at, to the 'Stones I'm running now, they actually had an extra inch of tread width for the same size tire!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those BFG tires are worth the money, when I compared those, to the Michelin's you were looking at, to the 'Stones I'm running now, they actually had an extra inch of tread width for the same size tire!
What are you running now that are hard?

I saw the specs on tirerack.com of the BFG Comp2 that have a tread width of 8.5 compare to Michelin 3+ that have a tread width of 7.5, makes me wanna get the BFG for sure, less expensive, I just hope they won't be harsh.
I'll start a new thread with pics when I get the 235 BFG tires installed in a month or so.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
What are you running now that are hard?

I saw the specs on tirerack.com of the BFG Comp2 that have a tread width of 8.5 compare to Michelin 3+ that have a tread width of 7.5, makes me wanna get the BFG for sure, less expensive, I just hope they won't be harsh.
I'll start a new thread with pics when I get the 235 BFG tires installed in a month or so.
Right now, I'm running 235/50VR18 Firestone Firehawk A/S and found that they work extremely well on my '12, just not quite as good as the BFGs and both blow the 225/50TR18 Goodyear Eagle LS2 it came with completely out of the water. Those should have never been on the cars with the 3.6l/6-Speed combo, the BFGs worked better when well worn on wet roads that the LS2s did brand new of dry pavement. 17" rims on the car shouod be a problem if you get a better, wider tire, in some cases it might help with traction in a straight line since the taller sidewall will allow for a larger amout of tread area to contact the pavement, which means more grip for accelerating and braking. I run 235/75R15 all terrains on my '98 Cherokee (XJ body) and the contact latch for that should be more or less square due to the taller sidewall and probably larger than that of any of the 235/50r18 tires I could put on my 200.

·
Registered
2015 200s
11 Posts
I have a 2015 200s that came with 235 45 18s stock but I keep getting flats and they don't last very long. I saw here someone using 215 50 18s for winter but I am wondering if that is as wide as you can go when you increase the profile size, I don't want to compromise on grip. Any advice?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts