Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a 2015 200s that came with 235 45 18s stock but I keep getting flats and they don't last very long. I saw here someone using 215 50 18s for winter but I am wondering if that is as wide as you can go when you increase the profile size, I don't want to compromise on grip. Any advice?
Get run flat tires, Bridgestone DriveGuard, at TireRack.com
I run those in 235 on my 17's, they're nice, quiet, grip is really good and they last a long time, had them on my 2 previous cars and have them on my wife's car and they're great, you can drive around with a nail in it and it will feel fine, never getting stuck on the side of the road again due to a real flat tire, done with that B.S.

·
Registered
2015 200s
11 Posts
I have a 2015 200s that came with 235 45 18s stock but I keep getting flats and they don't last very long. I saw here someone using 215 50 18s for winter but I am wondering if that is as wide as you can go when you increase the profile size, I don't want to compromise on grip. Any advice?
Get run flat tires, Bridgestone DriveGuard, at TireRack.com
I run those in 235 on my 17's, they're nice, quiet, grip is really good and they last a long time, had them on my 2 previous cars and have them on my wife's car and they're great, you can drive around with a nail in it and it will feel fine, never getting stuck on the side of the road again due to a real flat tire, done with that B.S.
I'm on a budget or I totally would. Just trying to see if higher profile tires last longer and wider to avoid curb rash. Thanks though!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm on a budget or I totally would. Just trying to see if higher profile tires last longer and wider to avoid curb rash. Thanks though!
You can do RFT tires in the front only for now, do the rear when you can afford it, and very often they have $70 off 4 tires on tirerack.com in the form of a $70 card in the mail.
Also, if you get higher profile tires, it will mess up you indicated speed vs. real speed.

·
Registered
2015 200s
11 Posts
You can do RFT tires in the front only for now, do the rear when you can afford it, and very often they have $70 off 4 tires on tirerack.com in the form of a $70 card in the mail.
Also, if you get higher profile tires, it will mess up you indicated speed vs. real speed.
I got 245/45r18 for the rear and it looks better. They fill the wheel well a bitt more even though they're the same profile number but the tire guy said that when the 1st number goes up, so does the 2nd, which made no sense but the proof is in the pudding. They only stick out of the rim slightly but it's better than with the 235s for sure. I'll definitely use this size moving forward. Sorry about the sideways pics ?

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
245/45 18 diameter is 1.35% greater than stock 235/45 18. I'd be surprised if that significantly improves wear. You're right though that the wider tread could protect your rims from the curb a bit. 10mm is 5mm on each side of the rim, about 2/10 inch more protection.

On the slightly negative side, when you do put that size on the front, the speedometer will read low by 1.35%. Torque to the road for acceleration and braking would also be reduced that amount, though fuel economy might improve a bit. With them on the rear only, there is just the slight torque reduction for braking, though also your handling may now be less balanced due to the different sized contact patch and tread from the front. Might increase under-steer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
245/45 18 diameter is 1.35% greater than stock 235/45 18. I'd be surprised if that significantly improves wear. You're right though that the wider tread could protect your rims from the curb a bit. 10mm is 5mm on each side of the rim, about 2/10 inch more protection.

On the slightly negative side, when you do put that size on the front, the speedometer will read low by 1.35%. Torque to the road for acceleration and braking would also be reduced that amount, though fuel economy might improve a bit. With them on the rear only, there is just the slight torque reduction for braking, though also your handling may now be less balanced due to the different sized contact patch and tread from the front. Might increase under-steer.
PS I forgot about the contact patch being 10mm wider, about 4%, so yes, you should get slightly better tread wear too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 215 on 17's, which sucks when you have a V6, always spinning the wheels since it's FWD, was wondering if anyone is running 255 tires on 18's.
If not, what do suggest, I went to www.tirerack.com but they don't show what I can do when I select my car, except what OE is in 17, 18 and 19. I don't want 19 because I want some sidewall to absorb bumps..., 18 with 255 is what I have in mind, anyone?
Our cars, at least the 3.6 L won't shift in 9 th gear until reaching 73 MPH with stock rims/tires. With thicker tires this point would be raised a meaningful amount. My millage on a 2016 200C AWD gets much better when the shift into 9th occurs. The top three gears are overdriven. You would be jumping two sizes. Good luck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts