Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know a couple of you worked on changing their speakers and adding amps to their cars (Saspring is one of them). I spent the day at my audio shop today installing my aftermarket speakers and amp and we ran into an issue that we didn't manage to solve today. We have different options to fix it but I want your advice first.

Here's the issue: It seems like 2 signals come out of the radio, one is full range and the other is just for the highs. Once that those 2 signals get to the Alpine amp, it looks like a full range signal goes to the rear 6X9 and then a high signal goes to the dash's tweeters and a low signal goes to the door's speakers. Is there a way or a device that exists that can sum the highs and lows that are sent to the front (dash and doors) together? Because otherwise, once it gets to my AudioControl module, only highs are sent back to the front and the sound really sucks.

One of my options is to switch my 360/4 channels amp for a 6 channel amp. This fixes my issue but costs me more money

Option number 2 is to tap into the rear speaker's full range signal and use this signal to send to my amp and then back to the front speakers but this option makes me lose the "fade"option of the Uconnect system, I can go from left to right but I can't fade only the rears or the fronts anymore. This is a minor issue and is the solution that we are looking into.

Option 3 is if one of you can explain us how the signal is sent from the radio to the Alpine amp first and then from the Alpine amps to the speakers. Then if their is a misunderstanding on our part, we can fix it and get it to work without too much work.

I took a lot of pictures of the install and could do a tutorial once my issue is fixed.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My suggestion is to replace the front speakers as I did, but leave them amplified from the factory amp. It'll honestly and sadly be easier to cut in to the rear speakers and go through the floor to get the the front speakers. DO NOT try to add speaker wires through the front doors. The rear doors give you a gap to feed wire through, the front doors you will have to cut into the harness that meets at the door frame.

Luckily I have done many installs on cars that had no business getting audio equipment, I bought this car in 6/14 and it was built in 5/14, so I had to rely on knowing how cars were put together.

If you haven't done an install, or the people you are contracting, have done a new CANBUS job it will drive you nuts. You are adding an audiocontrol sound processor which I did, which is smart. If you are going to tap into the speakers add a 150 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor across the speaker terminal before the audiocontrol processor or it won't send a signal to the speakers and the processor won't turn on.

I tried using an amp, like I'm sure you did, to process high level inputs and it was crap. Let me know if you need more help, I'll be on tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did replace the front speakers with Rockford Fosgate P165-S components and we didn't replace the OEM wiring for the very same reason that you are referring to. I also replace the rear 6X9 with Rockford Fosgate P1693 and the sub with a JL 13w3v3.

That being said the problem seems to be the Alpine amp acting as a crossover for the front signal which complicates things a bit or 2.

After a good night of sleep, I think I will go ahead and replace my JL JX360/4 channels with a JL XD600/6 channels and it should fix the issue while maintaining all feature of the Uconnect system available. I can't just tap into the rear speakers for a full range signal and lose the front/rear fading function as with small children, I use that function quite often when they listen to their kids song and I don't necessarily want to hear it that much :) or when I do long distance driving and the kids are sleeping in the back, I want to be able to listen to my music or radio station just from the front.

Anyways, I will complete my install on Saturday and once everything is up/running, I will try to find some time to document the process on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question, does anyone have the exact specs of the Alpine amp other than it is 10 channels, 506 watts and supposedly digital audio processing.

Like how many watts per channels?

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My suggestion is to replace the front speakers as I did, but leave them amplified from the factory amp. It'll honestly and sadly be easier to cut in to the rear speakers and go through the floor to get the the front speakers. DO NOT try to add speaker wires through the front doors. The rear doors give you a gap to feed wire through, the front doors you will have to cut into the harness that meets at the door frame.

Luckily I have done many installs on cars that had no business getting audio equipment, I bought this car in 6/14 and it was built in 5/14, so I had to rely on knowing how cars were put together.

If you haven't done an install, or the people you are contracting, have done a new CANBUS job it will drive you nuts. You are adding an audiocontrol sound processor which I did, which is smart. If you are going to tap into the speakers add a 150 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor across the speaker terminal before the audiocontrol processor or it won't send a signal to the speakers and the processor won't turn on.

I tried using an amp, like I'm sure you did, to process high level inputs and it was crap. Let me know if you need more help, I'll be on tomorrow.
I'm wondering if this would work. It says it is compatible with the 2014 Chrysler 300 and, to me, The 2014 300's Alpine system with the 8.4 Uconnect system is similar to our cars...I've asked the question to the seller and I am waiting for his reply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271394779283#vi-ilComp

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I made a lot of phone calls and sent a lot of emails this week to various companies in order to understand this quite complicated Audio system that we have (Alpine + 10 speakers). I got replies from Alpine themselves, PAC Audio, AudioControl, Crutchfield and third party vendors.

Once my install is properly done, I will post pictures and a tutorial but I just wanted to post this morning to let you know that if you want a well done aftermarket job, it is more complicated than just adding an aftermarket amp and speakers.

I searched many Chrysler forums this week, from 2010 up until today and not many people have detailled information about how this system works and what it is actually doing. Many managed to bypass the Alpine amp by using a PAC Audio device (link in my previous post abot) but this device has not been tested yet for our car and it seems, by comparing, that the 2014 300 harness and ours is not the same although the Audio system is pretty much the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics of the install

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts

Has anyone replaced the factory 6 speaker system WITHOUT the alpine amp with aftermarket speakers?? I was thinking of replacing my door speakers with Audison 6x9 and the dash speakers with a 3 inch Audison speaker (maybe tweeter built in or separate). But I'm not sure if the factory radio and wiring will support the aftermarket speakers. Will it sound better....worse...or the same?? I'm looking for better sound quality at higher volume :)

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone replaced the factory 6 speaker system WITHOUT the alpine amp with aftermarket speakers?? I was thinking of replacing my door speakers with Audison 6x9 and the dash speakers with a 3 inch Audison speaker (maybe tweeter built in or separate). But I'm not sure if the factory radio and wiring will support the aftermarket speakers. Will it sound better....worse...or the same?? I'm looking for better sound quality at higher volume :)
One thing that you should know is that the 6 speakers (premium system) is also powered by an Alpine Amp (276 watts). Yes you can replace your speakers but be aware that the amp also acts as a crossover so you can't add builtin tweeters to your door's speakers as you won't get full range signal there. If you don't replace the amp (and this is tricky as explained above) then replace your doors and your tweeters. Normally, if you buy good speakers, it should sound better.

Be aware that the Alpine amp works at 2 Ohms so if you buy 4 Ohms speakers, you divide its power by 2.

Any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One thing that you should know is that the 6 speakers (premium system) is also powered by an Alpine Amp (276 watts). Yes you can replace your speakers but be aware that the amp also acts as a crossover so you can't add builtin tweeters to your door's speakers as you won't get full range signal there. If you don't replace the amp (and this is tricky as explained above) then replace your doors and your tweeters. Normally, if you buy good speakers, it should sound better.

Be aware that the Alpine amp works at 2 Ohms so if you buy 4 Ohms speakers, you divide its power by 2.

Is there literally any advantage (if you have to 500 watt alpine) to taking out the alpine stock speakers and throwing in aftermarket 2-ohm 6x9 and 3.5's in this case? And not touching the amp...

Same with the sub I would assume if that's 2 ohm DVC?

·
Registered
51 Posts

My car, I don't have the premium sound system. I just have the standard 6 speaker system - no amp and no sub in the rear deck. The speakers are powered through the 8.4 uConnect system. So can I still replace the stock speakers with aftermarket?? Is there enough power or is it manditory to add an amp and/or audio processor.

And I was looking at an Audison crossover that will take a signal and split it to High and Mid. So, i was hoping I could take the signal going to the dash speakers and split that to my high tweet and midbase 3.5" speaker, then use the signal going to the doors as a low 6x9 speaker. OR another option is I found a 3.5'' speaker with built in tweeter....so I could install those into the dash, giving me a tweeter High and Midbase speaker. Which direction do you recommend??

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I said earlier, if you have the 6 speakers system with the 8.4 Uconnect, it is called the PREMIUM system. It is not the base which is a 4 speakers system and it is not the so called "ALPINE" system which has 10 speakers.

Your system doesn't have a sub, true enough, it has 2 6X9 in the front doors, 2 X 3.5 in the dash and 2 X 6x9 on the rear deck and they are powered by a small ALPINE 276 watt amp.

You cannot bypass the amp entirely because it also acts as a crossover for the front doors and dash speakers.

If you don't want to add an amp to the factory amp, you will basically waste money by adding aftermarket speakers as you will have only a small improvement.

If you want to add an aftermarket amp, then let me know, I'll tell you what you need.

The Uconnect system doesn't do much, you don't even control the volume throught the Uconnect system. The volume button on the console and the volume buttons on the steering control the volume through the amp's gain function.

This is a pretty tricky system to play with if you want to do a good job. We just completed mine today and it sounds awesome but I did a lot of research before doing anything, sending emails to AudioControl, PAC-Audio, Alpine, Chrysler and Crutchfield. Now, I can say that I know this system from A to Z.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As I said earlier, if you have the 6 speakers system with the 8.4 Uconnect, it is called the PREMIUM system. It is not the base which is a 4 speakers system and it is not the so called "ALPINE" system which has 10 speakers.

Your system doesn't have a sub, true enough, it has 2 6X9 in the front doors, 2 X 3.5 in the dash and 2 X 6x9 on the rear deck and they are powered by a small ALPINE 276 watt amp.

You cannot bypass the amp entirely because it also acts as a crossover for the front doors and dash speakers.

If you don't want to add an amp to the factory amp, you will basically waste money by adding aftermarket speakers as you will have only a small improvement.

If you want to add an aftermarket amp, then let me know, I'll tell you what you need.

The Uconnect system doesn't do much, you don't even control the volume throught the Uconnect system. The volume button on the console and the volume buttons on the steering control the volume through the amp's gain function.

This is a pretty tricky system to play with if you want to do a good job. We just completed mine today and it sounds awesome but I did a lot of research before doing anything, sending emails to AudioControl, PAC-Audio, Alpine, Chrysler and Crutchfield. Now, I can say that I know this system from A to Z.
Wow I didn't know there was a small amp in the 6 speaker system. Thanks for the help. Yea I'll definately be adding an aftermarket amp, and adding a 3 way setup in the front stage....possibly with an audison bit one or other audio processsor. But I gotta save up some money first lol thanks again for all the help. We'll keep in touch when I'm ready. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow I didn't know there was a small amp in the 6 speaker system. Thanks for the help. Yea I'll definately be adding an aftermarket amp, and adding a 3 way setup in the front stage....possibly with an audison bit one or other audio processsor. But I gotta save up some money first lol thanks again for all the help. We'll keep in touch when I'm ready. Cheers
I used an AudioControl LC6i Audio processor to sum the front signal and it does great. Using Rockford Fosgate T165-S component speaker for the front and T1693 for the rear deck. They are powered by a JL Audio JX 360/4 and my sub is a JL Audio 13W3V3-2 powered by a JL Audio JX 500/1D...sound is Crystal clear and I have no frequencies hole at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the final result. Very clean job, nothing or almost nothing shows. Very happy camper here. I'll try to record the sound and if I am able to get a clean video with clean sound, I'll post later this week but it sounds absolutely awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the thread I was searching for. Sorry for the intrusion but can any elaborate on the 8.4 UConnect; as to whether it is an internal or external Alpine amp?

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is the thread I was searching for. Sorry for the intrusion but can any elaborate on the 8.4 UConnect; as to whether it is an internal or external Alpine amp?
It is an external amp that was built by Alpine for Chrysler but there is no Alpine logo on it, just Mopar signs and Alpine doesn't support it, it is propriety of FCA (Fiat-Chrysler). It has 12 channels, 11 are used for the 200 and it is located behind the glove box. Be aware that it also act as a crossover for the front signal and the sub (if equipped).

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is an external amp that was built by Alpine for Chrysler but there is no Alpine logo on it, just Mopar signs and Alpine doesn't support it, it is propriety of FCA (Fiat-Chrysler). It has 12 channels, 11 are used for the 200 and it is located behind the glove box. Be aware that it also act as a crossover for the front signal and the sub (if equipped).

Thanks very much for the information.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts