Chrysler 200 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
So, for those of us without the factory amp, is the wiring in place for one? Ie; can the factory amp be added to cars with the 4 or 6 speaker system without adding wiring?

I understand the wiring is in the front doors, but not in the rear doors?

Is the wiring somewhere near the rear deck for the 8" sub?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
So, for those of us without the factory amp, is the wiring in place for one? Ie; can the factory amp be added to cars with the 4 or 6 speaker system without adding wiring?

I understand the wiring is in the front doors, but not in the rear doors?

Is the wiring somewhere near the rear deck for the 8" sub?
Not as far as I know

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is the problem. No one seems to know, for sure.

If you look up the Premium 10 speaker 'kit' from Chrysler it says it is compatible with my LX, and all it includes are the speakers, sub, amp w/ mounting bracket and screws. No mention is made of wiring of any kind.

Others have said they believe the wiring is in the front doors, for speakers, but not in the rear doors.

I see no wiring for the center, rear, sub, but it may be hidden.

I talked to Crutchfield and they said the wiring is in the front doors, but I can't use it, yet they have adaptors to go from the factory plugs to aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered a custom sub box for the 200 then I made a cake back for it. Routed out some holes for wires then mounted the audio control and amp on. Covered it in felt and out blue leds behind the sub. So when the remote signal. Turns the sub on the leds come on.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
Where did you get that sub box & how much? Looks really nice.

I just put a Kenwood DDX-9904S in my 200. Gonna start a thread about it when I get enough posts to put in pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Where did you get that sub box & how much? Looks really nice.

I just put a Kenwood DDX-9904S in my 200. Gonna start a thread about it when I get enough posts to put in pictures.
Do not start a new Thread, post here please.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
For those of you that have attached an amp to the rear seat, did you put the screws directly through the plastic on the seat-back or did you slip in a wood board?
Directly

·
Registered
8 Posts
World’s Second Aftermarket in a 15/16 (With parts and pics)

Ok, let's try this again. :cool:

Ok this post is obviously inspired by this post by faced. In fact, as I was going round & round about whether to upgrade my 2015 200 base model to the 8.3 (RA3) or try to go aftermarket, it was faced’s journey that tipped the scales to aftermarket. So, let us begin.

I selected the Kenwood DDX-9904S. My two previous head units were Pioneer AVIC radios both of which had built in navigation, but in this day & age (read Waze) I just don’t see the need to pay extra for a map I will have to pay again to be updated.

the feature set on this HU is amazing. My first aftermarket was a Clarion CD player along with Clarion Amp. That system cost me 1200 bucks in an 800 dollar car. ��

So getting the bezel off is pretty easy. Make sure you use the correct tools as you don’t want to scratch that plastic. I got this cheap set of trim panel tools from Amazon.

with the panel off, the 4 philips screws that hold the radio in are exposed – in my case they were never to be seen again LOL

Since my wife’s 200 is the base model, it does not have XM nor GPS so behind this radio there were only 3 connections. The main harness, which has an easy to remove & impossible to put on wrong lever, the USB cable, & the antenna.

one way on, one way off

Once you get your old radio out, you will be presented with a big square shaped metal bracket that is welded in there. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID & TRY TO CUT IT OUT. Instead, rock it back & forth with the biggest flathead screwdriver you have & then pry it out – right at the weld. This video, at the 9:15 mark, from Five Star Car Stereo shows how it is done. Incidentally, I bought my Kenwood from these guys. Install is pretty straight forward once you have the right parts. For the dash kit, the Metra 99-6538B will get you that (mostly) OEM look with aftermarket polish. The PAC USB-GM1 cable will allow you to use the built in USB port in the dash. Finally the Metra 40-EU55 antenna adapter will interface between the vehicle’s cable & the HU. The piece, magic really, that allows this to work in our vehicles is the idatalink maestro RR. This amazing little box speaks Chrysler (or GM or Ford & I believe Toyota) & will translate that to Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer & I think shortly Sony. In other words, if your HU is idatalink ready, you are in there!

Now comes the fun part. Refer to your owner’s manual about connecting which wire to which. This will include the idatalink & any accessories. In my case I got the outboard Sirius satellite module & a backup camera (camera install forthcoming). Below is the completed wiring harness.

In the summer of 1987 the US Army, among other things, taught me to be an expert at soldering. Well I have not picked up a soldering iron in 32 years; needless to say, there was some, uh, re-training going on. That is all.

Pilot to Co-Pilot. Antenna & USB adapters. Check

After I made the connections, I plugged in the Kenwood, just to make sure I had not made some kind of $650.00 dollar mistake.

It’s alive!

Remember those 4 screws I mentioned at the top? Over the course of this install, 3 of them fell into the dash. They are between size 8 & 10 & just a millimeter shorter than 15/16 inches (see what I did there). Of course those screws cannot be found anywhere. Not any of the big box hardware stores & not even my local Chrysler dealer. The guy at the parts desk was able to look up the screw, get the part number, & then proceeded to tell me that, that those screws can not be ordered! It only hurts when I laugh. Luckily, those screw clips are made of soft metal. So a #8 - 1 inch pan head philips form Lowe’s did the job.

Here she is in all her carnal glory. The OEM radio is supported by a small plastic shelf. You need to cut that out to get a good fit. It took me several tries to get the ‘wings’ on the Kenwood in just the right place, so that it looked OK (& I do mean just OK) when the Metra bezel was on.

So after about 4 days, which was really only about 3 hours worth of work, I went from this

to this

No those buttons on the Metra dash are not connected to anything because the idatalink does those functions & so much more.

Here area a few pics of the Kenwood in action.

HD (that’s Hybrid Digital & not High Definition) radio. As much as I like this Kenwood HU, the tuner reception compared to my two previous Pioneer units & even the RA2 is woefully inadequate.

SiriusXM

Apple CarPlay. For the most part CarPlay is pretty nice, but I hate that there is no true preemptive multi-tasking on iPhones.

Pandora via CarPlay. I’m on the home screen which displays a nice real-time spectrum analyzer. Probably not the best thing in a moving car, but it sure is purty!

Hope someone finds this little write up useful. I plan to make a short video of the Kenwood in action.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Here is a wiring diagram for the Alpine 10 speaker system if anyone needs it. I couldn't find one online so I decided to make one in excel because I have way too much down time at work.
We have the official Chrysler one on demande. The DOC file is just too large to post here.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
If you have the 8.4, you'll lose some functionality if you swap. There's no easy way out of the 8.4

181 - 200 of 236 Posts