Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience this issue ?
The last week or so, it seems like every other day while driving I get a warning message on the dash saying AWD system unavailable, please service.
After stopping the car, turning it off and on again, the error seems to go away but it does return occasionally too. My first thought was the cold temps, especially here in SE Michigan but this is not something that should be occurring at these temps. I have an oil change next week and will be bringing it up then.

Reactions: Amro

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm noticing a lot of these seemingly serious issues popping up once and then never appearing again... starting to worry me a bit. I've had similar stuff happen, never with AWD, but with ParkSense and the key fob... hopefully there's not some hidden gremlins with all this tech just waiting to pop out.

Take it to the dealer, they should be able to pull any codes off your computer and diagnose it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a very similar warning message, however I also lost all motive power but the engine was still running. After stopping and placing in park I was able to move again. But the message was still there. I then stopped, turned the car off, restarted and all was normal. I took it to the dealer and they said they got numerous computers modules failing to communicate codes. They started a Chrysler STAR case for me and the Chrysler Engineers just basically told them to clean all the connections. Nothing was replaced as there was no indication that anything was wrong. They also updated the software on all the applicable systems. I have not had it occur again.
I strongly recommend you get the dealer to investigate and at least get it documented in case in occurs again.
Good Luck!
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I see this is from a long time ago, but I just bought a used 200c AWD and am getting that exact message. Did you ever figure out what the issue was and get it resolved?

The last week or so, it seems like every other day while driving I get a warning message on the dash saying AWD system unavailable, please service.
After stopping the car, turning it off and on again, the error seems to go away but it does return occasionally too. My first thought was the cold temps, especially here in SE Michigan but this is not something that should be occurring at these temps. I have an oil change next week and will be bringing it up then.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Only way to find out is to take it in. This error message could be caused by a number of different things.

If it's the PTU (probably is) it's 100% covered under powertrain warranty. Without taking it in, it's only guessing.

Reactions: bradyironsmn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Did you solved the problem in your car AWD SERVICE

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this problem. It went away on it's own the first time. When it eventually came back months later I got an interface and program to connect to the computer and I noticed that the ptu motor position sensor was showing that it was in the process of shifting and never
settled into 4wd. I recalibrated the ptu motor and cleared the codes and it's been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out what the issue was?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The OP hasn't logged in in about 6 years.
On AWD cars, there is a DTCM (drive train control module) & RDM (rear driveline module) that can store fault codes & can be updated with new software, if needed.
We need to begin with the fault code(s). These aren't OBD2 codes, so an engine code reader may not see them. A more advanced scan tool may be necessary to access them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts