Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor that has been messing with my car and i want to know if the cameras used as backup cameras can also be used as a camera in a dvr system i want to build with a Raspberrry Pi 4 board and a usb to component converter to get video from the backup cam while vehicle is off. I realize i will also need to power the camera but i am not to that point. Just want to know if camera can independently send some sort of signal.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
It sounds like too much hacking to use the RVC to record video. Adapting and utilizing a cheap doorbell camera might be a simpler idea.

DESCRIPTION
The Rear View Camera (RVC) is a camera on chip device utilizing Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) technology. CMOS technology is used for a wide variety of digital or analog circuits. In this application, it supports the analog image sensor of the RVC. The RVC function is to provide a wide angle video image of the area behind the vehicle, including areas that might not be normally visible from the seated position of the vehicle operator, only while the transaxle gear selector is in the Reverse position or the camera delay is enabled and the gear selector goes from Reverse to Neutral or Drive. This video image then displays to the vehicle operator within the display screen of the audio system receiver unit near the center of the instrument panel. The image includes guideline overlay to aid operator the perception of distance. The active guidelines change direction with the steering wheel position to indicate the path of the vehicle to aid in parking. Static guidelines do not change direction with steering wheel position. Active and static guidelines can be selected by the user.

The RVC is intended to be an auxiliary viewing aid and is not promoted as an obstacle detection or safety device. It does not remove vehicle operator responsibility to recognize and obey official traffic laws or regulations or to take sensible precautions and care to avoid pedestrians, other vehicle traffic or both fixed and moving obstacles through the habitual use of safe and defensive driving techniques.

The RVC is mounted to the light bar, which is then mounted to the decklid. The camera lens is visible on the vehicle center line, while the body of the camera and the camera connections are concealed within the light bar. A wire harness routes into the interior of the decklid where it connects the RVC to the vehicle electrical system.

Hard wired circuitry connects the RVC to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which routes throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other and to the vehicle electrical system through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds. The RVC cannot be adjusted or repaired. If the RVC is damaged or ineffective, it must be replaced.

OPERATION
The Rear View Camera (RVC) receives power from a run relay control output circuit located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The imager built into the rear view camera is active when the transmission is shifted into the Reverse position or with the camera delay feature on. The camera will then use hard wired video signal output circuits to provide the radio video display unit with compatible National Television System Committee (NTSC) standard composite video M format data, or NTSC-M. These camera output circuits run through the entire length of the vehicle and are arranged in tandem as a twisted pair. Portions of these video signal wires are contained within the body wire harness and a jumper harness located between the radio and the body harness connector below the instrument panel located at the right cowl side inner panel. Data signal protection from corruption and interference is provided by a grounded foil jacket shield which is terminated only at the video display (radio).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with 200 s awd. If you are going to go through that much trouble, wouldn't it be easier to just put a dedicated independent camera in the car? Like a dash cam in the rear window or something? I have Arlo Cameras that watch over my driveway. Nobody can get near my house without me being alerted to it. The best thing is they are wireless so I can move them around. I have them hidden in trees and hanging from gutters etc. It sees a heck of a lot more than the backup camera does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts