Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 chrysler 200 lx sedan. I have a good alternator & I just bought a new battery. The car ran good for 2 weeks & then the battery drains overnight. I have to get a jump start EVERYDAY! Does anybody have any answers for this issue? I would really appreciate the help.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
508 Posts
Welcome. Was the battery originally replaced because of this discharge issue, or is this something that started happening 2 weeks after?
It is rare, but I have seen new batteries fail.
Have you been able to measure and confirm a current draw with everything off?
The modules will fall asleep within a few moments after shutdown and just use a small trickle to keep memory alive.
I have seen modules kept awake and active because of a defect or external stimulus (like a Bluetooth or RFID device left in the car). This can discharge a good battery overnight.
A way to find this is to attach a milliammeter to the battery after the modules go to sleep. Observe the current draw while you pull fuses and connectors to find which battery-fed circuit is drawing excessive current. It will be a process of elimination.
A wiring diagram for the car will be helpful.
Once you find the offending branch, begin disconnecting the units fed by that branch until you narrow it down to the single component.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I changed the battery because I had to get a jump start oneday. I had my car for 7 years & never changed the battery. So, I bought a new battery. It worked fine for 2 weeks, then it started to drain overnight, every night. I got another battery & the same thing keeps happening.

·
Registered
422 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE YOU DEF HAVE A DRAW OR AN OPEN CIRCUIT. I AGREE W 200 S AWD DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURES. EXAMPLE:... A CD STUCK IN YOUR PLAYER TRYING TOO EJECT WILL KILL YOUR BATTERY OVERNITE. OR A TRUNK OR GLOVE BOX LIGHT THAT ISNT TURNING OFF BECAUSE THE SWITCH ISNT MAKING CONTACT ANYMORE. GOOD LUCK!.

Reactions: tmp222

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a problem like this and it turned out that my alternator was weak. You should buy a portable voltmeter that plugs into the power port. It should read about 14.5 volts while driving. If it's less than 13 volts you won't be able to charge your new battery and eventually (maybe daily) it will die. As another poster mentioned you could have a parasitic loss because something isn't shutting down at night, although I think these cars have battery run down protection that is supposed to take care of that. Here is a link for the portable volt meter. They are widely available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOUNDS LIKE YOU DEF HAVE A DRAW OR AN OPEN CIRCUIT. I AGREE W 200 S AWD DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURES. EXAMPLE:... A CD STUCK IN YOUR PLAYER TRYING TOO EJECT WILL KILL YOUR BATTERY OVERNITE. OR A TRUNK OR GLOVE BOX LIGHT THAT ISNT TURNING OFF BECAUSE THE SWITCH ISNT MAKING CONTACT ANYMORE. GOOD LUCK!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I am a woman, so could you please explain to me... what switch isn't making contact?

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
508 Posts
More likely, a battery drain would be caused by a switch that 'is' making contact and passing current when it shouldn't.
Can you release the rear seat back and make sure that the trunk light is off with the lid closed?
Does the car have a glove box or center console light that may be staying on?
Anything plugged into a Power Outlet that may be drawing the battery down?
You could unplug the IOD (memory) fuse to see if the draw stops. You would need to reset your clock after this test.
Try the simple things first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts