Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler 200 2012 V4

Few weeks ago car died on road. Battery light was on until it slowly died on me. Tow it to Pepboys and they charged the battery. Ran the car for 40 minutes and Battery light came back and again slowly dies on me and I have it towed again to Pepboys overnight / same night.

This time Pepboys holds it for 4 days. They told me they didnt do anything and just turned the car on and it worked. They say battery is good, alternator is good, electrical system is good. They drove it for for a 45 minutes with no problems. They test drove at different intervals / different days.

So I get the car and been driving it for a week, around 3 hours total. Ran perfect until tonight I notice battery light is back.

I dont know what to do, please any suggestions? By the way the battery in there is only one year old from Pepboys.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Any 'stored' fault codes in the PCM like these? They may not light the yellow 'ck eng' icon, but light the red 'battery' icon instead:

P0563-BATTERY/SYSTEM VOLTAGE HIGH
P0562-BATTERY-SYSTEM VOLTAGE LOW
P0622-GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT
P063A-GENERATOR VOLTAGE SENSE CIRCUIT
P2503-CHARGING SYSTEM OUTPUT LOW
P2504-CHARGING SYSTEM OUTPUT HIGH

Intermittent electrical issues can be difficult to find. Since the car slowly dies on you, this is a 'real' problem.
If it is not acting up at the time of diagnosis, everything may look good. If you can get it to act up and have the tools at hand to diagnose the issue, you may find it. Make sure that wiring connector terminals and grounds are clean and tight.

Have you measured and monitored the charging voltage while driving? A volt-ohmmeter hooked to the dash power outlet and set on the passenger seat works well. Keep your eyes on the road while driving.

The charging system includes the TIPM, PCM, Generator (or alternator) and the wiring in between them.
The TIPM can store useful fault codes also, but may need a more capable reader to access them:
Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

After years of vibration, blunt edges can rub-through through insulation and ground out wires:
Product Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Font Number Rectangle Circle Magenta

Font Screenshot Number Parallel

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
112 Posts
A number of hand-held scanners will allow you to monitor the system voltage while the car is running and being driven. Some will also capture the running data when the code was set.

The 40 minutes of run time before the car dies indicates the alternator is not putting out sufficient voltage. I will go so far as to say the alternator was not putting out any voltage as I have have experience the 40 minute dead car/battery with a known bad alternator.

My suspicions point me to the alternator. There are 2 items that can cause intermittent faults, the brushes and the diodes. Brush contact failures typically show up when first started and rarely lose contact while running. Diodes on the other hand can fail at any time, due to vibration, heat soak, etc. I have had alternators fail that tested good simply because the fault was not active at the time. Replacing the alternator solved the battery light issue.

Regarding alternators, I prefer new alternators over rebuilt unless it is known the diode pack has been replaced. Many rebuilds are simply the brushes and bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A number of hand-held scanners will allow you to monitor the system voltage while the car is running and being driven. Some will also capture the running data when the code was set.
Can you tell the name of such scanners? Are you talking about regular mutimeter voltage devices?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts