Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 2012 200 V6 and have been dealing with an issue with the charging system for a few months now. In July I noticed a high pitch whining sound coming from the engine at startup. It would go away after a minute or two. I figured it was a bad pulley or something and didn't think much more about it. About a week later, the whine would stay on permanently as long as the engine was running. My dad and I were a little stumped but the car was driving fine so once again we ignored it. Three days later when I was leaving to go to a friend's house the battery light came on pulling out of the driveway. I park the car and used my dad's SUV instead. The next day we have the battery tested at a local Napa and it was found to be good however the parts guy recommended to change the battery since it was the original battery back from 2012, and so we did! We install the new battery and let the car idle for 10-15 minutes with no warning light so we figure problem solved. Unfortunately the moment I started driving the car the light reared its ugly self. So now we buy a new(re manufactured) alternator from Napa for $250 and we take the weekend to put it in since it was a pain the get to.There's no more whining sound and we now feel confident the problem is solved, so I take my car for a test run. I get on the entrance ramp to merge on the highway and use about 3/4 throttle to get up to speed quickly since traffic was moving fast. The car hesitates for 1-2 seconds and then a large jerk happens as the car slams itself into a lower gear and once again the battery light comes on, ughhh! I get the car back to the house and now my dad is really stumped. We finally throw in the towel and let the car sit while I borrow his SUV to go to school for the next 2 weeks. The even weirder part is my dad decides to drive around the car for about 40-50 miles without the battery light coming on! I drove the car around for another 20 miles and the light didn't come on. I figured the problem is now solved until the following day the light came on while climbing a hill.....great! I finally bring my car to the dealership and leave it there for two days, so they can do a thorough inspection. They called me back and said they couldn't get the light to come back on. They check all connections, hook it up to their diagnostic equipment, and drive it around to no avail. I went today to pick up the car and when I merged on the highway the light came on. So now I'm stumped as to what could be going on. Is it possible the dealer is full of crap or the replacement alternator is bad itself? For complete transparency, around May I had the car's totally integrated power module(TIPM) and the PCM replaced since the car stopped starting reliably. I starting to suspect there might be some computer problem. Only because when the light comes on I can still drive the car for miles and it doesn't seem to want to die. So maybe the alternator is charging the battery and there is some other component in the charging system that is bad? Or maybe the new TIPM and PCM were not installed correctly? What are your thoughts. Please, any help would be so valuable and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm just guessing but I'd look at the belt and harmonic balancer pully. Sometime those can separate internally and the result is the outer rim of the pully doesn't get any spin from the center section. I'd also double and triple check the electrical connections at the battery and underhood area. Again I'm just guessing.

One more thing - it seems like your driving style has something to do with it. If you can find a way to reliably reproduce the problem go back to the dealer and tell them what you learned and ask them to check it following your method.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just posted on kia-forums some info about alternator charging problems....
It was about a poster having replaced both the battery and the alternator and still having charging problems...
My 2008 KIA Spectra also had this problem... It came down to a bad ground connection from the body/frame to the engine block... The terminals were corroded at the body and there was a voltage drop of 3 volts... That was added from the reference voltage at ground (0volts) on the frame of the alternator... so the regulator dropped the output voltage by that amount (13.7 volts - 3volts = 10.7volts) ... 10.7volts is not enough to charge the battery... I cleaned the ground connections and added silicon grease to keep them corroding again... No more charging problems...
Try removing and cleaning ALL ground wire connections until they are shiny... There should be a ground wire from the battery (-) to the body/frame and also a wire from the body to the engine block...
All cars have similar wiring and today's cars electronics are very sensitive to low voltage and can do some very strange things when there isn't enough voltage to run them...
Keep us posted on what you find...
Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very likely the problem is with the wiring on the bottom of the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module--aka the fuse box under the hood). There was a TSB that involved re-crimping and soldering some the connections (my wife's 2013 had to have this this done). A few people have had to replace the entire TIPM.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Always measure the voltage with engine off and engine on, when diagnosing charging system problems.

I recently replaced my original battery (8 years), and when I started it, light did not come on, but occasionally flickered to 12 volts at idle. Then the light finally came on. Alternator was bad. I bought the Mopar one from the dealer for $220. I have had bad luck with remans and will never use one again. You paid more for a reman than I did for an OEM one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
blincoln
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing