Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 200 Limited Convertible which I recently bought, and I'm pretty happy with it, although the uconnect system (the audio system, basically) has caused me some issues.

It receives SiriusXM just fine maybe 75% of the time, but sometimes it stops receiving it and just says "No signal" on the dashboard. This does not seem to be associated with anything like jiggling the antenna, going over a bump, aligning the car in a certain way etc. It just happens, and when it does, shutting down the car and restarting it sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason as to why when it does it. Sometimes it will do it for the better part of a day and I'll just about give up on it working, then suddenly it starts working again. Sometimes it works for a while before displaying this behavior.

Strange, eh? My assumption would be that the antenna or the cable is frayed or loose or otherwise needs to be replaced.

However, it gets stranger. The 2012 has an LED display on the dashboard which shows you things like fuel econemy, tire pressure and direction. Normally, it gives you the compass direction "N" "NW" "W" "SW" "SE "E" etc. I find this useful for just keeping my bearings. But sometimes it doesn't get a a reading and just displays two lines "--"

One would think this is a problem with the compass sensor or wiring or that some local magnetic field is causing problems - I had assumed that the compass sensor would be a basic magnetic sensor, located somewhere on the car away from likely interference.

HERE IS WHAT IS WEIRD: They always fail together or work together. If I get a compass heading, I get satellite radio. If the satellite radio does not work, the compass won't work.

This is bewildering.

To make it stranger, the onscreen compass on the navigation setting seems to work fine.

So some possibilities....

Both the compass and siriusxm antenna somehow use the same wiring?

Perhaps the compass is not magnetic at all, but direction-finds off the satellite?

Perhaps the satellite system needs to know the car's heading to know how to track the satellite?

There is obviously some commonality to it. It corolates 100%. If I look down and see the compass says "--" then I know the satellite radio won't work. As soon as the compass works, I get siriusxm reception.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
500 Posts
There are software updates for these radios, but none that directly address these compass/XM issues as you describe them. Do you have 'Acquiring Signal" displayed when this dropout occurs?
Which radio (sales code should be printed in white paint, 3 letters beginning with 'R')?
The radio and instrument cluster can store fault codes that may help in diagnosis. This is a NAV radio?
This may be a hardware issue. I don't want to condemn anything quite yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200 Limited
10 Posts
Perhaps you are passing through "dead zones". When I got to the dollar general down the street I pass through one of these zones. Every time no fail, my xm cuts out. Now I never noticed my compass reading but next time I will pay attention.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are software updates for these radios, but none that directly address these compass/XM issues as you describe them. Do you have 'Acquiring Signal" displayed when this dropout occurs?
Which radio (sales code should be printed in white paint, 3 letters beginning with 'R')?
The radio and instrument cluster can store fault codes that may help in diagnosis. This is a NAV radio?
This may be a hardware issue. I don't want to condemn anything quite yet.
Pardon my ignorance, but where is the sales code printed? Yes. Its a Nav unit.

Also, how does one update the software? Do I need an odb2 adapter? Or can I do it through the cd drive on the unit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps you are passing through "dead zones". When I got to the dollar general down the street I pass through one of these zones. Every time no fail, my xm cuts out. Now I never noticed my compass reading but next time I will pay attention.
No its not that. It has nothing to do with the location

·
500 Posts
Sales code should be printed on the front panel, like this RHB in the lower right corner by the AUX jack (zoom in):

This particular update addressed on TSB # 08-003-17 is done with a thumbdrive through the USB port. As the dealer labor time allowed (under warranty) is 0.2 or 0.3 hr as stated on the TSB, they should be able to perform the operation under the diagnostic (usually the minimum) fee. It will vary by dealer:
You might ask if they can update the other modules at the same time that the car is in the service bay (a 3.6L?):
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/115067/000000003b9bc261

A software update may otherwise improve the radio functions, but I don't think that it is your current issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
My experience with the radio / nav units losing signal seem to be an internal issue with the radio itself.
After multiple visits to my dealer, complete with pics showing "vehicle phone requires service", they finally replaced the radio module. No problems since.
The unit uses a cell signal to display maps. That could be your problem, but diagnosis first, replace last.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ug. Im loathed to go to the dealer and pay an arm and a leg for something simple.

Additionally it had been my initial plan to replace the infotainment system completely by just taking it out and putting in some third party double din thing like something from Pioneer or something.

My last chrysler was a 2007 Sebring and I had a third party head unit I put in it and had amps I put in the trunk. Pioneer amps and JBL speakers. I still have the amps and speakers and the low profile subwoofers. I think the speaker size on my 200 is different so I would have to get some different side speakers. I still have yhe aftermarket 3.5 inch ones for the dash and I believe those are the same.

But that had really been my plan.

Now if it turns out that the head unit is so integrated into the systems of thr vehicle im going to really be very upset about that.

Remember this is an 8 year old system and you can get a head unit that is far more slick than that for not a whole lot.

My main reason for keeping this one for now is im just too busy to take on the project of putting a whole new av system in the car for the next couple of months.

I'm going to be extremely disappointed if I can't integrate a new one without losing basic functions of the dash display or steering wheel buttons. In the past its sometimes been tricky to make an aftermarket unit play nicely with the steering wheel controls, but its usually doable we with the correct adapters and harnesses.

·
500 Posts
The RHR has an update on TSB 08-027-14, but it has none of your Compass/Satellite concerns listed. It is updated with a flash disc. If you are not experiencing any of the listed symptoms, then the update may have already been performed or is otherwise unneeded:

The NAV radios have an internal compass, so disregard the Remote Compass Module attachment shown in post #2.
The diagnostic chart lists 'No Compass' as an internal radio fault, while Satellite reception issues further down the list may be an SDARS or antenna cable fault. I imagine that both issues could be in the radio. See attached.

If you want this confirmed by a dealer, the diagnostic (usually the minimum) charge is 1 hr labor. Policies and prices will vary from dealer to dealer. You could ask for a diagnosis and go no further until you can make a repair/replace decision.

The 2012, like your 2007 Sebring would be a CAN bus vehicle. It is getting more difficult to introduce foreign modules (aftermarket sound systems) to a vehicle's electrical system. There are aftermarket CAN bus emulators and LIN bus adapters for radio/vehicle network communication and remote (steering wheel) controls. Compatibility with aftermarket audio can be an issue. It may or may not play nice and some features may be lost.

If the problem is deemed to be in the radio, you have choices. I have sent radios in for exchange units after pulling them out and shipping myself. There are Chrysler electronic repair depots located across the country. Some ebay sellers may be able to configure the radio for you to plug n' play in your vehicle.
You could open it up and look for cracked solder joints or poor connections.

I have used United Radio in Syracuse NY for servicing radios that needed more specialized service than what I could do on my bench. I have been happy with their work:
Repair & Remanufacturing | United Radio

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah well that is the thing. The reason I'm not doing it right away is I have to figure all that out with the CAN bus and other interconnections.

The thing is I really just want to figure out what exactly is causing this very strange behavior before I start modifying anything. Its just so strange...

I've only had the car for a month.

I should mention one other thing. Maybe related or not: a week ago the head unit was not working correctly at all. For whatever reason the touch screen didn't work at all. The steering wheel controls still worked but it would erratically change the channel as if it got a false signal or touch.

That problem was fixed by pulling the fuse and reinserting it.

No idea if that's related. Pulling fuses didn't do anything for the satellite and compass problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
200_S_AWD:

I have a question for you.

As I mentioned, I am just getting my feet wet with the 2012 200. I knew the Sebring inside and out, because I had it for years and did everything I could with it (Thank you Hanes Manual).

An obvious troubleshooting technique would be to pull power off the vehicle entirely, leave it for a bit, reconnect and see what happens. (Yes, I know the clock will need to be reset)

However, given my inexperience, I am a little nervous, as I saw a post somewhere from someone who said that doing so caused their vehicle to immobilize. To me, that seems unlikely, because I would think that a vehicle ought to be able to tolerate a dead battery without anything serious happening, but given how integrated and electronic these things are, I'm a little worried now.

Does this strike you as something that would be of any hazard?

(And no, I won't hold it against you if you say it sounds find and it turns out not to be. With such crazy behavior I guess we just don't know until we try)

·
500 Posts
A battery disconnect should be safe. Dead batteries happen often enough. Make sure that everything is off when disconnecting/reconnecting so that there is little chance of a surge or spike.
I have seen damage from jumper cable attachment like wrong polarity and over-voltage knock out some sensitive electronics. These modules do have protective circuit devices for accidents like this.
In addition to the clock, some features like Smartglass raising/lowering limits, may have to be relearned.
I don't think this is a scrambled logic issue with the radio, so a battery disconnect may not fix anything. But hey, it's free and easy to try!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also doubt it is the problem or will do.muxh but, like you said, free and easy, so ill try it tonight.

As far as bad jumps....bad wrong polarity..
That one has to be a doozie

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is a known issue with the convertible models related to the wiring going to the components on the top of the trunk. Those are the antenna, motorized tonneau cover and it's related status switches. The wiring near the passenger side trunk hinge flexes and can cause breaks within the harness at this point. It could affect any of stuff on the decklid but I don't know if the compass would be affected since the compass is integral to the nav/radio.

You might want to check out the Chrysler convertible forum at

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that might be it.

Here are some important observations (which are really getting me to some idea what I think is going on):

It has basically not been working most of the time. When I first posted, it as working on and off. Now both are not working, except when they start working for a short period of time. So, basically it's like I get a few minutes of it working in a given day.

The thing is this: It is always stable when the car is stationary. In other words, if the car is stationary and it works, it won't stop working. If the car is stationary and it doesn't work, it won't start working.

However, when moving, the thing that will sometimes make it start or stop working is a large bump or a sharp turn.

So I think that I can now be sure something is loose somewhere, I'm just not sure what or where. It's strange that these two features work like that, but my guess is deep down there is some kind of commanility to them. Maybe part of the satellite radio system interfaces through the same wiring harness as the compass or they're both getting voltage from the same bus. I don't know, but I'm solidly convinced it's a loose connection.

·
500 Posts
Very possible. Many 'intermittents' are caused by poor connections rather than a failed component. If it were just the compass having an issue, I might look closer at the radio. Since it is both the compass and SDARS at the same time, it is worth looking at the SDARS antenna first.
The trick is to find the sweet spot by gingerly trying to tease it into failure (or to rekindle it back into operation, whatever the case may be).
I have gently tapped and wiggled things to get a reaction. When you do get a reaction, try to repeat what you just did for confirmation.
A small plastic stick and can of freeze spray (rapid temperature change) can help to disturb and irritate the culprit into exposing itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 200 Limited Convertible which I recently bought, and I'm pretty happy with it, although the uconnect system (the audio system, basically) has caused me some issues.

It receives SiriusXM just fine maybe 75% of the time, but sometimes it stops receiving it and just says "No signal" on the dashboard. This does not seem to be associated with anything like jiggling the antenna, going over a bump, aligning the car in a certain way etc. It just happens, and when it does, shutting down the car and restarting it sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason as to why when it does it. Sometimes it will do it for the better part of a day and I'll just about give up on it working, then suddenly it starts working again. Sometimes it works for a while before displaying this behavior.

Strange, eh? My assumption would be that the antenna or the cable is frayed or loose or otherwise needs to be replaced.

However, it gets stranger. The 2012 has an LED display on the dashboard which shows you things like fuel econemy, tire pressure and direction. Normally, it gives you the compass direction "N" "NW" "W" "SW" "SE "E" etc. I find this useful for just keeping my bearings. But sometimes it doesn't get a a reading and just displays two lines "--"

One would think this is a problem with the compass sensor or wiring or that some local magnetic field is causing problems - I had assumed that the compass sensor would be a basic magnetic sensor, located somewhere on the car away from likely interference.

HERE IS WHAT IS WEIRD: They always fail together or work together. If I get a compass heading, I get satellite radio. If the satellite radio does not work, the compass won't work.

This is bewildering.

To make it stranger, the onscreen compass on the navigation setting seems to work fine.

So some possibilities....

Both the compass and siriusxm antenna somehow use the same wiring?

Perhaps the compass is not magnetic at all, but direction-finds off the satellite?

Perhaps the satellite system needs to know the car's heading to know how to track the satellite?

There is obviously some commonality to it. It corolates 100%. If I look down and see the compass says "--" then I know the satellite radio won't work. As soon as the compass works, I get siriusxm reception.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is interested I have a recently "rebuilt" radio out of my 2012 Chrysler 200. The radio was intermittently working and so I had it removed by a stereo shop they sent it out for repairs at a cost of $480.00. While it was out my car got totaled in an accident. The car was gone by the time I pickup the radio up so I have it just as it came back from the shop. If anyone want's it the price is $150.00. That will at least give me some of my expense back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts