Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 200S 2.4 overheated on a 20 minute trip 2 weeks ago. Lucky for me, it was the end of the trip. After about half hour, I got back to the car, no coolant leak even though it had that smell and appeared to be on the low side. The car was fine for the 20 minute trip home.
Since then, I have been watching the gauge regularly and it has been no higher than 240. Until yesterday.
I have also notice a lack of heat after running about ten minutes.
I left it sit, this morning I went to check it, and coolant was low so I added about a half gallon to it. I know air in the system can cause both concerns. I know I should bleed this system, but I can't find anything that tells me where! I think the radiator has a valve on the top passenger side for this but I can't verify. It looks the same as the radiator drain plug on the bottom driver side, but it's up top (which would be a good air pocket relief point).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After researching for the bleeder, I realized I screwed up by adding the "Universal" fluid. If I don't drive until AFTER I flush and fill it, I am hoping I didn't cause too much of an issue. But the original question remains, is that the air bleeder on top of the radiator?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
quick question, your car seems to have every symptoms of a car having a coolant leak. Why not take it to the dealership and have it checked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does seem to have every symptom of a coolant leak, which is why I am asking questions about the cooling system. I thought these forums were a place someone could go to get some simple answere

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Yes, it does seem to have every symptom of a coolant leak, which is why I am asking questions about the cooling system. I thought these forums were a place someone could go to get some simple answere
I guess nobody has had to bleed air from the cooling system. We have the exact car and when the coolant reservoir was low, I stopped at the dealer and asked them to top it off. They did, no charge.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Follow the plumbing, should be near the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 2015 200S 2.4 overheated on a 20 minute trip 2 weeks ago. Lucky for me, it was the end of the trip. After about half hour, I got back to the car, no coolant leak even though it had that smell and appeared to be on the low side. The car was fine for the 20 minute trip home.
Since then, I have been watching the gauge regularly and it has been no higher than 240. Until yesterday.
I have also notice a lack of heat after running about ten minutes.
I left it sit, this morning I went to check it, and coolant was low so I added about a half gallon to it. I know air in the system can cause both concerns. I know I should bleed this system, but I can't find anything that tells me where! I think the radiator has a valve on the top passenger side for this but I can't verify. It looks the same as the radiator drain plug on the bottom driver side, but it's up top (which would be a good air pocket relief point).

Brroooo i am so sorry for all the vague answers, lemme learn you a lesson.

Open car, pop hood, go to front of car (driver side), look down enough so you can see the back side of the radiator fan, look a little further down back towards the driver side, (May need to shine a light down) look for a yellow cap, THAT yellow cap is to bleed your radiator. Lesson ler'nt.

The down side to this, i have encountered.
Check all cooling and engine components no leaks etc. My thermostat had a small crack not in visible range (thermostat is on passenger side between airbox and coolant reservoir.)

Made sure of it all (heres the down side) dealership/mechanic "pressure test" could range between $60-$140.

So in my experiance bubbling in coolant lines combined with cracked thermostat gave me high temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you I'm having the same problem and I honestly can't afford to go to the dealer and I appreciate sites like this to where I can try to fix things myself

·
Banned
86 Posts
I think my picture might be bugging, here's a by item visual from repair manual. You're looking for item #7.
Brooo... the thing you showed in your photos is called a "petcock". Its intended purpose is to DRAIN coolant from the cooling system. It is not designed to "bleed air" from the cooling system.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Ordinarily, you should remove air from the cooling system of your vehicle by releasing the air from the highest point in the cooling system. This is normally the radiator cap, or the cap on the recovery vessel (in a system where the recovery tank is pressurized). Duh!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Easy fellas..... Theres a bleeder scew on the t-stat housing. Many posts on this forum about it. And that pic/post was from 3 years ago so hopefully he figured it out bye now☺

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine end up being a failed water pump I replaced it everything is perfect now water pump was only 6 months old that was there before so I didn't think that that was bad thanks everybody

·
Banned
86 Posts
I will say this....

Removing all the air from my 2011 Chrysler 200 Touring (with the 2.4 liter engine) is the most difficult of every car I have ever owned.

It takes literally FOEVER for the engine (at idle) to get hot enough to open both thermostats. Yes, that's right... there are TWO thermostats on the 2.4L engine on the 2011 model!!!

I spent TWO HOURS waiting for the engine to warm up enough to open both thermostats.

·
Registered
479 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts