Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Chrysler 200 friends~
The attempted fix of replacing the blend door actuator on my 2013 200 did not go well. The new actuator is in place, but in the process of replacing the actuator I broke the end off of the door hinge "spindle". This is the black "nub" that the white plastic arm pops onto. It has a a flat side and a very small recessed groove towards the tip, and the arm has a tiny flexible tab that pops into this groove when properly seated. The broken "spindle is circled in the photo below. I'd like to attempt accessing and removing/repairing or replacing the blend door. How do I access the door? If I remove the heater core can I access it then? (the heater core removal method would be the "cut the coolant lines" and then reattach with pipe clamps & hoses method shown here:chrysler 200 heater core replacement - Google Search
Let me know your thoughts on this asap. Cold weather is on it's way! Thanks in advance!
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've never had luck trying to repair these. Glue or a fastener hasn't worked. Only a door replacement.
The HVAC housing may need to be removed from the car. This means draining coolant & reclaiming the A/C. ☹

Attachments

· Registered
348 Posts
Removing the HVAC housing basically requires the removal of the dash.

I have pulled HVAC housings (in my more agile days) on a '99 Cirrus and '05 Focus, both required the removal of the dash. Would not have attempted without having the factory service manual on hand and a few days to complete. It is time consuming. On an '06 Charger, had the HVAC housing replaced by a dealer due to multiple door failures. Was winter and needed it repaired, 5-7 hours of labor if I recall.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very helpful. Thank you! Especially the pdf. that 200_S_AWD passed along.

I'm considering rigging something up to temporarily hold the blend door open to allow for heating during the winter.
The thought is this: I want to rotate the blend door pivot shaft to the correct/heating position (right now it is at rest in the cooling only position)Then I'd take a drywall screw into the plastic wall of the housing in a location that would keep the door from closing. (I know this is far from a pro-fix, but I need heat/defrost function back asap)
3 questions:
  1. Is there any way to spin the door pivot shaft from the passenger side? (drivers side is entirely mangled due to my attempts to fix it from that side. Diagram of the passenger side is below)
  2. What is behind the cover (encircled blue) in the image? Could I access the door or the door pivot shaft under there?
  3. -IF- putting a drywall screw through the wall of the housing could hold the blend door in the correct position, is there a suggested location for he screw to penetrate? (removed in the summer when cooling is needed)
Desperate times!:(Thanks in advance!
Automotive design Gesture Motor vehicle Art Auto part

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,087 Posts
The duct circled in blue should pull off the housing. You may be able to see the door and reach it?
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Drawing

All doors are shown in the Distribution Housing. The manual still wants the HVAC assembly to be removed from the car to service these, but look it over for a short-cut? Perhaps there is a hack like the heater core that will save you time?
If installing a screw to hold things, make sure that it doesn't pierce the evaporator or heater core.

One thing that disturbs me is that the parts folder doesn't show the doors being available separately. Maybe they are only serviced by replacing the Air Distribution Assembly? Clarify this with a dealer parts counter-person?
The ADH is currently on backorder, with a possible release date of 1/9? Avg weekly demand is 8 units.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts