Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I own a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited, 3.6L v6. Just recently (as of last week), I've been having issues with hot air blowing on the driver side, with cold air blowing on the passenger side when the A/C is turned on. The driver side will get hotter if I turn on the heater, and the passenger side will also blow hot air. So I've been doing some heavy research into the actuators for the A/C system as it seems the heating and A/C system is working fine, it's just the mixing of the air, or the lack of a complete actuator closing action that's causing cold air to only run to one side of the cabin. Prior to this, I got an odd "humming" noise with a small "pop" that comes from underneath the dash on the driver side (to be clear, I did not get any "clicking" that is common with a failing motor). This leads me to believe that there's an actuator underneath the dash behind the instrument panel. Since then, the noise hasn't returned, regardless of my attempts to change location (dash, forward vents, floor vents, etc), temperature, and speed. When it did the noise, I typically had speed and location set to "Auto" and temp just set to 72 (I live in Texas, so during this heat, it's typically running the compressor when on).

NOTE: I should also mention that I had the noise issue about a year or two ago, but the A/C was not giving me problems, so I assume I caught the motor problem before it got worse. The mechanic specifically mentioned it being an actuator problem, but at the time, I didn't think to ask which one, or where it was located.

Now, that being said, I've seen countless topics, posts, and pictures that all lead me to confusion. Multiple articles state that the single zone A/C in the 2011 to 2014 200s all have the same number of actuators, 3, all behind the glove box on the passenger side in a LHD model. However, I also see MULTIPLE images and articles that say there's only two there, with the third being underneath the dash, behind the column. Every video I look up always talks about the "clicking" noise coming from the Passenger Side. I obviously don't have this clicking so the only video I could find was one for a 300, where it showed the motor under the steering column.

I have access to an old version of AllData that does not pinpoint exactly where the Blend Door actuator is. It claims that on RHD models, you have to remove the Glove Box. This leads me to believe the actuator for the blend door IS indeed on the driver's side of a LHD model.

Can anyone please confirm the location of these motors? Before I start tearing stuff apart, I want to make sure I'm even looking in the right spot.

The articles in particular below were examples of what I'm referring to. The 2carspros website pulls images and details from the AllData repair article. Note that if you dig deeper into an "explanation" of the parts in AllData, it tells you that all three are located near the HVAC black body, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet:

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The blend-air actuator (#12) is on the drivers side above your foot. They usually only make the 'clicking' noise when the door is stuck and/or the plastic teeth are stripped. There are silent and/or intermittent failure modes as well.

DESCRIPTION
An Automatic Temperature Controlled (ATC) single zone type heating-A/C system is standard on this model.
To maintain the performance level of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system, the engine cooling system must be properly maintained. The use of a bug screen is not recommended. Any obstructions in front of the radiator or A/C condenser will reduce the performance of the A/C and engine cooling systems.
The engine cooling system includes the radiator, thermostat, radiator hoses and the engine coolant pump. Refer to 7 - Cooling for more information before opening or attempting any service to the engine cooling system.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Organism Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Product Font Auto part Parallel Diagram

All vehicles are equipped with a common heater, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) housing (1). The heating-A/C system combines A/C, heating, and ventilating capabilities in a single HVAC housing mounted within the passenger compartment beneath the instrument panel. The HVAC housing includes:

• A/C evaporator (2)
  • Mode-air doors (3)
  • Mode door actuator (4)
  • Recirculation-air door and actuator (5)
  • Cabin air filter (when equipped) (6)
  • Blower motor (7)
  • Blower motor power module (8)
  • Blend door actuator (9)
  • Heater core (10)
  • Evaporator temperature sensor (11)
  • Blend-air door (12)

Based upon the system mode selected, conditioned air can exit the HVAC housing through one or a combination of the three main housing outlets: defrost, panel or floor. The defrost and panel outlets are located on the top of the HVAC air distribution housing and the floor outlets are located on each side of the distribution housing. Once the conditioned air exits the HVAC housing, it is further directed through molded plastic ducts to the various outlets within the vehicle interior. These outlets and their locations are as follows:

• Defroster Outlet - Two defroster outlets are located in the center of the instrument panel, near the base of the windshield.
  • Side Window Demister Outlets - There are two side window demister outlets, one is located at each outboard end of the instrument panel, near the A-pillars.
  • Panel Outlets - There are four panel outlets in the instrument panel, one located near each outboard end of the instrument panel facing the rear of the vehicle and two located near the top of the instrument panel center bezel.
  • Front Floor Outlets - There are two front floor outlets, one located on each side the floor panel center tunnel behind the instrument panel.
  • Rear Seat Floor Outlets - There are two rear seat floor outlets, one located on each side of the floor panel near the front of each rear seat foot well.

DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuator (1) for the heating-A/C system is a reversible, 12-volt Direct Current (DC) servo motor, which is mechanically connected to the blend-air door. The blend door actuator is located on the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing.
The blend door actuator is interchangeable with the actuator for the mode-air doors and the recirculation-air door. Each actuator is contained within an identical black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (2). Each actuator also has an identical output shaft (3) with splines that connect it to its respective door linkage and integral mounting tabs (4) that allow the actuator to be secured to the HVAC housing. The blend door actuator does not require mechanical indexing to the blend-air door, as it is electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.

OPERATION
The blend door actuator is connected to the A/C-heater control through the vehicle electrical system by a dedicated two-wire lead and connector of the instrument panel wire harness. The blend door actuator can move the blend-air door in two directions. When the A/C-heater control pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the blend-air door will move in one direction. When the A/C-heater control reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the blend-air door moves in the opposite direction. Once the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the blend-air door stops and will not move.
The A/C-heater control uses a pulse-count positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the blend door actuator and the blend-air door. The A/C-heater control learns the blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits (refer to 24 - HVAC Electrical Diagnostics for more information).
The blend door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and it must be replaced if found inoperative or damaged.

REMOVAL

WARNING:​
Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.​

NOTE:​
LHD model shown. RHD model similar.​

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. On RHD models, remove the glove box bin. (DISREGARD THIS AS YOURS IS LHD).
  3. Disconnect the wire harness connector (1) from the blend door actuator (2) located on the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing (3).
  4. Remove the two screws (4) that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing and remove the actuator.
INSTALLATION

1. Position the blend door actuator (2) onto the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing (3). If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the splines on the actuator output shaft with those in the blend air door linkage.
  2. Install the two screws (4) that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.).
  3. Connect the wire harness connector (1) to the blend door actuator.
  4. On RHD models, install the glove box bin. (DISREGARD THIS AS YOURS IS LHD).
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  6. Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a capable scan tool.

Reactions: Mexitalian.xX

·
Registered
593 Posts
The HVAC control unit will automatically perform a recalibration procedure for all 3 "blend" doors when the power is disconnected and then reconnected. Since your car doesn't have the clicking sound of a stripped gear you might want to try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting. I don't know if it is really necessary but then I would turn the key to the run position and listen to see if you hear blend door movement. I'd wait a couple minutes and then turn the key off and then start the car and take a little test drive. It might not work but since it's so easy it's worth a shot. I think you need to perform that recalibration if you replace an actuator. I'm only an internet know-it-all so take all this with a grain of salt and go with the advice that seems most credible to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. Looks like I'm going to have to tear apart the lower column cover to get to it. Ill do some of the testing Dale_K mentioned above this weekend (more than likely, tomorrow) and post my results here.

The only thing that concerns me about all this is the noise I originally heard, it didn't come from the actuator below, near my foot. It waz pretty clearly originating from the instrument panel, within the dash. Are we assuming that it could still be a blend door actuator issue, with everything said above?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Assume nothing. Always Diagnose first.
The actuators are all the same part number. Try swapping the blend and mode actuators to see if it is an actuator issue?
Does the blend door move its full range when turning the temp control? I have found pens, coins and small toys that have fallen inside HVAC housings that have stalled door movement.
The HVAC and BCM can store useful fault codes and run door tests with a capable scan tool.
The lower dash panel can be removed. If you have the knee blocker airbag, use airbag safe handling procedures (disconnect battery). Try to get in a comfortable position to access the area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have changed all 3 on my 2013 200Touring 2.4L. Behind the glovebox there are 2 of them one to the right kind of hard to see and one to left side behind glove box. The one on the Drivers side is a pain it is to the right of the gas/accelerator pedal. I had to lay on floorboard and use flash light and remove the lower plastic covers to see it. All 3 use the same actuator on my car. The one on the drivers side has a plastic arm which attaches between the actuator drive gear and a rod. The plastic piece is white could be the problem is with the plastic piece. All three of mine made a clicking sound because inside the actuator the parts are plastic so the motor ran but the plastic parts are broke. I did take the Negative cable off under hood before working on the actuators. The drives side was not to bad it was laying on the floor board and only being able to use one hand to work on changing the actuator. As far as I know there are only 3 actuators.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all. I own a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited, 3.6L v6. Just recently (as of last week), I've been having issues with hot air blowing on the driver side, with cold air blowing on the passenger side when the A/C is turned on. The driver side will get hotter if I turn on the heater, and the passenger side will also blow hot air. So I've been doing some heavy research into the actuators for the A/C system as it seems the heating and A/C system is working fine, it's just the mixing of the air, or the lack of a complete actuator closing action that's causing cold air to only run to one side of the cabin. Prior to this, I got an odd "humming" noise with a small "pop" that comes from underneath the dash on the driver side (to be clear, I did not get any "clicking" that is common with a failing motor). This leads me to believe that there's an actuator underneath the dash behind the instrument panel. Since then, the noise hasn't returned, regardless of my attempts to change location (dash, forward vents, floor vents, etc), temperature, and speed. When it did the noise, I typically had speed and location set to "Auto" and temp just set to 72 (I live in Texas, so during this heat, it's typically running the compressor when on).

NOTE: I should also mention that I had the noise issue about a year or two ago, but the A/C was not giving me problems, so I assume I caught the motor problem before it got worse. The mechanic specifically mentioned it being an actuator problem, but at the time, I didn't think to ask which one, or where it was located.

Now, that being said, I've seen countless topics, posts, and pictures that all lead me to confusion. Multiple articles state that the single zone A/C in the 2011 to 2014 200s all have the same number of actuators, 3, all behind the glove box on the passenger side in a LHD model. However, I also see MULTIPLE images and articles that say there's only two there, with the third being underneath the dash, behind the column. Every video I look up always talks about the "clicking" noise coming from the Passenger Side. I obviously don't have this clicking so the only video I could find was one for a 300, where it showed the motor under the steering column.

I have access to an old version of AllData that does not pinpoint exactly where the Blend Door actuator is. It claims that on RHD models, you have to remove the Glove Box. This leads me to believe the actuator for the blend door IS indeed on the driver's side of a LHD model.

Can anyone please confirm the location of these motors? Before I start tearing stuff apart, I want to make sure I'm even looking in the right spot.

The articles in particular below were examples of what I'm referring to. The 2carspros website pulls images and details from the AllData repair article. Note that if you dig deeper into an "explanation" of the parts in AllData, it tells you that all three are located near the HVAC black body, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet:

There are about 6 or more videos on Youtube that are titled " Blend door actuator fixed or making noise" and none of them are the actual blend door. The videos are all the actuator that controls where the air flows to, such as, floor, dash panel, defroster, etc. After replacing the one shown in the videos I found this site which shows where the actual blend door is located, and that is on the driver side up above the steering column. The article on this site is correct for my 2012 Chrysler 200 and probably most Chrysler products. The actuator for the heat/ac blending is above the gas pedal, the actuator for air flow outlets is in the middle behind the glove box, and the actuator for inside/outside air is on the right passenger side behind the glove box. I wish I would have looked on this site first, it would have saved me about an hour of frustration of changing the wrong actuator. My problem was no heat and it is now fixed. The middle actuator was the toughest to fix, the blend door is fairly easy to access and you can clearly see both mounting screws, unlike the middle actuator that has 3 mounting screws.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 3.6 L Touring sedan and I'll tell you now your heat and your AC will both operate properly without the blend door actuator I know for a fact because I'm running mine that way have been for months I don't even understand what the purpose of the actuator is I'm telling you it works just remove it you'll be fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 3.6 L Touring sedan and I'll tell you now your heat and your AC will both operate properly without the blend door actuator I know for a fact because I'm running mine that way have been for months I don't even understand what the purpose of the actuator is I'm telling you it works just remove it you'll be fine
Your blend door actuator is behind the glove box or the glove box the actuator is, right inside at the very top you will have to lay upside down to get to it and see it but I have changed mine to three times all the you actuators for bottles on Advance Auto none of them work their Universal their crap a prostate dealer Park actuator and it was $132 actuator from Advance or AutoZone was $30 it's not worth $132 take the blend door actuator out and you will have no more problems my settings adjuster goes to bed that goes to floor it go see Frost all without take my advice and have it removed you will be just fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your blend door actuator is behind the glove box or the glove box the actuator is, right inside at the very top you will have to lay upside down to get to it and see it but I have changed mine to three times all the you actuators for bottles on Advance Auto none of them work their Universal their crap a prostate dealer Park actuator and it was $132 actuator from Advance or AutoZone was $30 it's not worth $132 take the blend door actuator out and you will have no more problems my settings adjuster goes to bed that goes to floor it go see Frost all without take my advice and have it removed you will be just fine
By the way I voice text so some of my sentences don't sound right that's why

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2011 Chrysler 200 s 3.6. To clarify this post, are you saying you have removed the blend door actuator (the one behind glove box to the left) and ac/heat work fine? I have no heat on the passenger side and I had clicking but clicking seems to have stopped entirely now. It was hard to tell what exactly was clicking, sometimes it sounded like it was behind instrument panel, or to the right of me (drivers side). I have changed the drivers side right of as pedal before as it seemed to be making the noise. Still didn't have full functionality of temperature for heat as it only worked somewhat on drivers side blowing out, passenger side was cold and is cold air.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Yours is a dual-temperature zone HVAC?
The 2 temperature blend door actuators (#12) should be above the gas pedal.

The mode door actuator (#4), behind the glovebox & toward the center of the dash.

The one above the glovebox (#5) is the recirculation (max A/C) door actuator. The single temperature zone HVAC has the 1 blend & 1 mode actuators relocated.

If you have a noticeable side-to-side temperature difference, you may have a plugging heater core.

Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have changed all 3 on my 2013 200Touring 2.4L. Behind the glovebox there are 2 of them one to the right kind of hard to see and one to left side behind glove box. The one on the Drivers side is a pain it is to the right of the gas/accelerator pedal. I had to lay on floorboard and use flash light and remove the lower plastic covers to see it. All 3 use the same actuator on my car. The one on the drivers side has a plastic arm which attaches between the actuator drive gear and a rod. The plastic piece is white could be the problem is with the plastic piece. All three of mine made a clicking sound because inside the actuator the parts are plastic so the motor ran but the plastic parts are broke. I did take the Negative cable off under hood before working on the actuators. The drives side was not to bad it was laying on the floor board and only being able to use one hand to work on changing the actuator. As far as I know there are only 3 actuators.
Did this solve the issue by replacing all 3??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts