Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Chrysler 200 with 430N radio and bluetooth, purchased last fall. My old LG flip phone worked fine with the car every time. Got a newer Samsung J3 Luna Pro, which is listed as being compatible.
It will not connect and dial reliably. Last night tried about 30 times, with varying results. For instance, pressed the activation button and it announced the phone's name, asked for command, I told it "Dial" and it did not respond. Other times it said no phone was available. Other times it got as far as asking for the number, displayed it "connecting xxx-xxx-xxxx", but did not dial. And at least a dozen times it did not react at all to pressing the button, either on the steering wheel or the radio.

It also fluctuates between 1 or 2 bars of signal, to no reading at all, including no phone battery reading. Old phone always displayed reliably.

Consensus? Phone or car?

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
Have you tried un-pairing the device and reinstalling it ?

New phone ... older vehicle system ... my guess it's the car that doesn't like your new phone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had a chance to unpair and re-pair it. But last night I tried about 15 times, pressing the phone button on the wheel and the radio, and it did not activate at all.

And as far as compatibility, it IS on the list of phones that Chrysler says will work with this car and radio.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I updated it a few months ago when I updated my GPS maps. It still shows as current. My old flip phone worked with either version of software.

Now that the phone button does nothing, I suspect the car. However, I'm going to unpair it and pair my daughter's phone, which is the same model, and see if that works. And then try my wife's iPhone.

Sometimes the signal and battery showing on the radio drop out, and when I reach for the phone, without even touching it, it comes back.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
I am sure you after you un-paired the phone from the vehicle you rebooted the phone before trying to pair it again, but I have to ask.

I am interested to see if your daughter's phone works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won't have a chance to until tonight, was out late at a meeting last night. Car in the shop today for new tires.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I did a reset on the phone/radio, cleared all stored phones, phone books, settings. Then paired my phone. Still didn't connect reliably. Then I paired my wife's iPhone 6 as priority 2, and it worked perfectly. Then I paired my daughter's Samsung (same model as mine) as priority 3, and at first it took forever to pair, and I had to tell the phone to scan manually to find the uConnect. But once it paired and I rebooted her phone, the signal was steady, never dropped. I successfully went through the entire process of making calls with their phones at least twice in a row.
Then I turned their phones off and tried mine, and could not get through the entire software routine of making a call at all. Kept dropping the connection at various times throughout the interaction with the car.

This morning I plugged in my phone, so it had full voltage (it was 80-100% charged on other attempts, but running off its new battery). On the drive to work, 30 miles of highway, never saw it drop the signal, and it had full bars. So as I neared work, I tried making calls, and it kept disconnecting at various points. Same as last night and earlier.

I'll hit the car's phone button, and it announces "Bob's Phone - UConnect phone ready" and I say "Dial" and then nothing happens, and after 20-30 seconds, it times out. Then it doesn't respond to hitting the phone button for awhile. Then when it does, and the signal is back, I try again, and get to the next stage: "Bob's Phone - UConnect phone ready" and I say "Dial" and it asks for name or number. I tell it the full 10-digit number, it displays it, and says the first digit, then locks up and times out. Then it doesn't respond to the phone button.

I try again when it responds, and it says "UConnect phone not available", as in those 5 seconds, it dropped again. When the phone button finally responds again, "Bob's Phone - UConnect phone ready" and I say "Dial", it says "UConnect phone not available." As I pulled in the parking lot, it was still not responding to hitting either phone button in the car.

My wife's and my daughter's phones don't do this. So it's apparently not the car, and my reconditioned phone wasn't a good idea. Everything else works on the phone. Will call Tracfone to get a replacement. If they don't offer new, I'll buy new elsewhere and transfer the phone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue has degraded to the point where my phone never connects at all to the car - no signal bar, no battery condition, no pairing. Never.
My wife's iPhone connected from 40 feet away through 4 walls in the house and would not fail.
My daughter's phone, same model as mine, connects and will not fail.

My phone detects the bluetooth on my laptop, but no longer pairs with it at all. So I suspect it's my phone whose bluetooth has degraded to the point of total failure. Have to get in touch with Tracfone and get a replacement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tracfone refused to replace it, because the bluetooth does work with SMS messaging. They blame the car. But the car works perfectly with the old LG phone and with the iPhone 6 - cannot make my wife's phone fail.
When mine fails, it can be anywhere in the software routine. And then it remembers where it failed and won't proceed. Example:
When I hit the phone button, either on the wheel or the radio, sometimes it will do nothing at all, sometimes it will activate immediately, sometimes there is a delay of 20-30 seconds before it launches.
When it launches, the expected sequence is:

"Bob's phone" (announces which phone is connected) in my voice.
Car: "UConnect phone ready"
Me: "Dial"
Car: "Say the name or number you are calling"
Me: "xxx-xxx-xxxx"
Car: "Calling xxx-xxx-xxxx. Is this correct?"
Me: "Yes."
Car: "Calling xxx-xxx-xxxx" (dials the number)

When it fails, it will fail at any given point, and at the next attempt, it remembers and starts from that point, and then always fails the next step, then the next time fails the next step. It's gotten so frustrating, I get to the point where I tell it the number, and it says "calling 5..." and then freezes before announcing the remaining 9 digits. Next attempt, it starts by displaying the number, but is silent, asks no questions and does not proceed. I've rebooted the phone to no avail.
Displayed connection still drops randomly, even with phone fully charged, plugged in and in the console tray beneath the phone.

If I use a visor clip-on bluetooth phone set, it always works, every time. So I blame Chrysler on this. It is the interaction between phone and car, but the lockup of the software routine is entirely on them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Still have gotten nowhere with this problem. Anyone else having this issue?
When I first bought my 200, I had an inexpensive Android phone that had a similar issue. Once I purchased a higher quality phone, the issue went away. You've stated that your other phones worked fine, just not the one you currently have. You've already answered what the problem is, it's the phone.

Many phones that now cost $100 work fine now. $100 and up buys a much better Android phone than what was available from a few years ago. Past 5 years, I've owned 3 phones, the cheap one was tossed few months after owning the car. Then I've had 3 Samsungs, a J3 (dropped and broke it), J7 Perx (not a high quality phone) and for past year an A6 (very nice phone). All of which connected with no issues.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first bought my 200, I had an inexpensive Android phone that had a similar issue. Once I purchased a higher quality phone, the issue went away. You've stated that your other phones worked fine, just not the one you currently have. You've already answered what the problem is, it's the phone.

Many phones that now cost $100 work fine now. $100 and up buys a much better Android phone than what was available from a few years ago. Past 5 years, I've owned 3 phones, the cheap one was tossed few months after owning the car. Then I've had 3 Samsungs, a J3 (dropped and broke it), J7 Perx (not a high quality phone) and for past year an A6 (very nice phone). All of which connected with no issues.
My daughter has the exact same model and vintage phone that I do, hers never disconnects from my car. And that model is on the approved list from Chrysler for this year, make and model. And this IS a J3 Luna Pro phone.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My daughter has the exact same model and vintage phone that I do, hers never disconnects from my car. And that model is on the approved list from Chrysler for this year, make and model. And this IS a J3 Luna Pro phone.
I know your hoping for an easier answer on this issue, but unfortunately there is none. If your daughters identical J3 works and yours doesn't and yet your other phones do work then It's your J3 bluetooth that is not connecting properly. Google search Samsung J3 Bluetooth issues. There are numerous troubleshooting techniques on trying to get the phones bluetooth to work properly again.

I understand that Tracphone states bluetooth isn't the issue. They may have connected once, but seems you are having intermittent issues where your phone sometimes works and most of time doesn't. It sounds like it just happened to work for Tracphone at that time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The phone's bluetooth works perfectly every time for instant messaging and other wireless. So it must be the particular interaction between that phone and that car. When I travel with the phone on in the car, the status bars drop out completely and come back randomly. If someone calls me, the audio randomly jumps back and forth between the car's speakers and the phone itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts