Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2011 Chrysler 200.In the summer I noticed the brakes were pulsating on slow speed stops especially when going up or down hill or turning. They didn’t always and seemed to be somewhat random. Replaced the brake pads and rotors but the problem persisted. Sometimes it does it a lot sometimes I doesn’t do it at all. Any ideas? Hoping to get this sorted out before major snow really happens so in the next couple weeks.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If it was exactly the same after replacing front pads and rotors, could it be in the rear brakes?
Have you tried a front to back tire rotation to rule out a tire issue?
Possibly a failing CV driveaxle joint? Are the CV boots intact?
Low speed uphill, downhill or on turn pulsation may not be a brake problem.
Always diagnose first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the brakes begin pulsating immediately after replacing the pads and rotors or did it take a few weeks/months before the pulsating began? It sounds like a warped rotor and the sometimes pulsating may be related to how warm/hot the rotors are (that is, previous/recent braking). One thing I do know, it is extremely important to torque the lugs evenly and to spec. If the lugs are not torqued properly, it is a question of when, not if, the rotors will warp. It may likely take weeks/months before the rotors warp sufficiently to pulse.

If you did not replaced the pads and rotors yourself, I suspect the shop tech used an air gun and did not torque the lugs properly. It could have even been an install of new tires or rotating the tires that caused the uneven/over torquing of the lugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts