Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 200, which is my first engine with the v6 Penstar. I knew the 2.7 liter engine inside and out, and unfortunately no experience with this one and just learning about it.

First question: Are there any signifficant changes to engine preformance, acceleration etc which can be made through software or electronics tuning, either just through the OBD port with the correct software.

Second question: IS there a governor on the engine that cuts power when it reaches a certain speed or reduces acceleration at a given speed. If so, I'd really like to figure out how to get that off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,335 Posts
You will want the latest and greatest PCM/TCM software update, if it hasn't been done already.
The PCM has a rev limiter to prevent over-speeding the engine above redline (fuel shutoff) and you may also have a top speed limit of 120mph (190kph) for safety. The engine may not rev above 3000-4000 in Park or Neutral, but why would you need to do that?: Chrysler TSB here:
You might also want to use a premium motor oil and change the transaxle fluid (ATF+4) and filter. There are software updates for certain radios and the hands-free module (if equipped). It may save a labor charge having the dealer update everything at the same time.

·
Registered
2015 200s 3.6 AWD
169 Posts
I just bought a 2012 200, which is my first engine with the v6 Penstar. I knew the 2.7 liter engine inside and out, and unfortunately no experience with this one and just learning about it.

First question: Are there any signifficant changes to engine preformance, acceleration etc which can be made through software or electronics tuning, either just through the OBD port with the correct software.

Second question: IS there a governor on the engine that cuts power when it reaches a certain speed or reduces acceleration at a given speed. If so, I'd really like to figure out how to get that off.
There is a ton that can be done to your 200 . Here's a list of parts :

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Speed limiter is set at 118MPH both generations with the V6. There's plenty of aftermarket to raise that speed limiter on the 11-14's and improve performance without having to change out the PCM. I tuned my old 13's 200 and raised the limiter to match my V rated tires at the time.

Running E85 if you have it available near you will also help a bit, more so after/if you tune it.

Do some searching on this forum and here: https://pentastarv6performance.com/2011-2014-200

1 - 4 of 4 Posts