Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Yes, they are fragile.
I had the shop replace that filter once when the car was in for a recall. The next time I went to change the filter, that cover was just sitting there with the broken tab, just like you pictured.
It cost me around 35 bucks to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a tap on the box itself inside the car. Did you replace the whole box or just the part I pictured. I am thinking about a lite coat of silicon to hold it in place. You lose a lot of airflow if this is not secured.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they are fragile.
I had the shop replace that filter once when the car was in for a recall. The next time I went to change the filter, that cover was just sitting there with the broken tab, just like you pictured.
It cost me around 35 bucks to replace it.
Thank you btw for the reply

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
there is a tap on the box itself inside the car. Did you replace the whole box or just the part I pictured. I am thinking about a lite coat of silicon to hold it in place. You lose a lot of airflow if this is not secured.
Just the cover you pictured. The new one snapped into place easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is actually common enough that my repair manual has this note: "Filter door contains two tabs that are designed to have a self-tapping M4X16 fasteners driven through them and into HVAC housing to secure filter door, as required. This process is only required if retainers have been damaged."

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think quite a few people have broken this tab ... including myself. All I did was use a piece of black electrical tape to hold the filter door to the housing. You can't use glue or anything like that because somewhere down the line you will need to gain access to replace the filter again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think quite a few people have broken this tab ... including myself. All I did was use a piece of black electrical tape to hold the filter door to the housing. You can't use glue or anything like that because somewhere down the line you will need to gain access to replace the filter again.
I used Duct tape......the US Army cure for everything LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is actually common enough that my repair manual has this note: "Filter door contains two tabs that are designed to have a self-tapping M4X16 fasteners driven through them and into HVAC housing to secure filter door, as required. This process is only required if retainers have been damaged."
You ..................................are the man...........
Reading the manual....what a novel idea.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used a little duct tape also. No one knows except me:cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
.......and yoos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts