Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Chrysler 200 2.4L 4cyl

Hi All,

I replaced the upper radiator hoses and coolant filler neck last weekend. On a few short test drives everything has been fine. Tonight, I took it out to drive somewhere 20min away. Upon getting there and shutting the engine off, I heard and saw air bubbling into the overflow tank. I drove home carefully. The engine temp stayed around the mid line, with a few instances of it going a hair above, but it’s 80 degrees outside so I’m not sure if that is unusual.

When I got home and shut the car off, I saw bubbling again. With some basic googling, I saw head gasket leak, which is obviously a nightmare. Does anyone have any insight into what else it could be? Maybe something that is fixable?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
Trapped air should eventually rise to the top and leave the system. Try bleeding first.
Was the engine ever overheated? Have you had to add coolant since the repair? Overheating could stress a head gasket and cause failure. If it is cylinder combustion gases entering the water jacket, there may be high levels of CO2 in the coolant.
This can be detected with a CO2 chemical test to confirm (or not) a head gasket failure. An example:
Always diagnose first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I also saw a little steam coming from what looked like behind the overflow tank. I’m not sure what is back there.

I’m going to replace the radiator cap and try to bleed out the air tomorrow morning.
Trapped air should eventually rise to the top and leave the system. Try bleeding first.
Was the engine ever overheated? Have you had to add coolant since the repair? Overheating could stress a head gasket and cause failure. If it is cylinder combustion gases entering the water jacket, there may be high levels of CO2 in the coolant.
This can be detected with a CO2 chemical test to confirm (or not) a head gasket failure. An example:
Always diagnose first.
Thanks for the info. When I realized the coolant filler neck was bad, the temp climbed to the 3/4 mark, but only for literally 5sec before I was pulled over and the car shut off. I’m going to try bleeding it today. If no luck I will bring it to my mechanic.

can you tell me the impact of using universal coolant in the system? Why is the coolant called universal if it can’t be used in a basic four door sedan?

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
Calling anything 'Universal' is a favorite marketing term. Use caution and be skeptical when you see it used for auto parts.
Only use an OAT formula meeting Chrysler MS-90032.
You really can't go by coolant color anymore. Different coolants may react unfavorably with engine/seal materials.

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
Only use an OAT formula meeting Chrysler MS-90032.
You really can't go by coolant color anymore. Different coolants may react unfavorably with engine/seal materials.
That's the key formula meeting MS-90032. When I replaced my radiator, that confused me.

The actual part number for the compatible Mopar coolant is MS-12106.

The part number on the coolant reservoir and the part number in the manual is (MS-90032).There appears to be no such animal as MS-90032. I requested that at my Chrysler dealer, and no where on the bottle of coolant did "MS-90032 appear" only "MS-12106"

Reactions: 200_S_AWD

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long as you don't mix different types of coolant it doesn't matter what brand it is. Drain all the coolant out. Pick your favorite type and brand, refill. Keep the jug in the garage so that you remember what you put in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts