Chrysler 200 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yep. Mine also still look like new after two Michigan winters. Quality powder coat on aluminum should hold up a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
caliper cover

hey guys i need help asap! i just purchased my mgp custom caliper cover for my chrysler 200 but after installing them, its hard to put on my rims because it has a very close contact and kinda scratches them when the wheels are spining around. can anyone walk me through how they got theirs done with no issues? i have the 2016 200s with the 19 gloss rims. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys i need help asap! i just purchased my mgp custom caliper cover for my chrysler 200 but after installing them, its hard to put on my rims because it has a very close contact and kinda scratches them when the wheels are spining around. my mechanic tucked me out of it and said they are not good but i dont wanna return them :'( i prefer that than painting my calipers.. can anyone walk me through how they got theirs done with no issues? i have the 2016 200s with the 19 gloss rims. thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
hey guys i need help asap! i just purchased my mgp custom caliper cover for my chrysler 200 but after installing them, its hard to put on my rims because it has a very close contact and kinda scratches them when the wheels are spining around. my mechanic tucked me out of it and said they are not good but i dont wanna return them :'( i prefer that than painting my calipers.. can anyone walk me through how they got theirs done with no issues? i have the 2016 200s with the 19 gloss rims. thanks
Seems to me that someone had this problem with the nineteens pretty early on (you might want to read through the thread) and that the manufacturer was going to change the design to fit better. In any event you ought to complain to them. For the price these should fit, and if not you should get your money back.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Honestly I looked at these tings as "fake" mods - like larger diameter hubcraps <-- (not mispelled) or fake wheel disks that go over brake drums but... maybe I will re-think. See article below. It's an old article but caliper covers have been around a for quite a while now.

As for now I am running with the stock calipers and brackets un-painted with PowerStop crosdrilled and slotted rotors amnd ceramic pads.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/brakes-suspension/mgp-caliper-covers-more-than-just-good-looks/

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I have them (thread OP) and like them enough, but I don't necessarily buy the claim that they "sink" much heat, primarily because their mounting surfaces on the caliper cover such little area that I don't see how they could transfer much heat. I'd be more inclined to believe that they channel air along the caliper surface in a way that helps cooling, but that's pure speculation.

Anyhow, to me they are just a cosmetic enhancement. Not super spectacular looking, though not too cheesy either and definitely an improvement over the bare OE calipers - painted or not. I consider them analogous to the plastic cover on the engine. It's also just a "fake" surface whose only purpose is to make the engine look better. :cool:

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
It's also just a "fake" surface whose only purpose is to make the engine look better. :cool:
..and to make it quieter - all that foam underneath. I took mine off. Only reason is because I had 2 coils go out before 60K miles, so I figured maybe the cover is holding in heat...

I hear what you are sayin'. It's all a matter of personal preference/visual modification and $$.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like mine..I did install 3/4" spacers ..I went tht route cuz i wanted my wheels to look more flush..Im actually gonna install 1 1/4" spacers in the rear and see how it looks..If i like that look just on rear then thats that..It's just a matter if i go that route with the fronts..Anyhow its just cosmetic and had mine for over 1yr 6mos and gone thru 2 winters and they still look new...As far as heat issue there still some gap for breathing..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is a full shot of my 200. Also to answer some questions, these caliper covers do act as a heatsink and actually draw off a little heat from your brake calipers. Another thing is they grearly reduce the amount of break pad dust you get on your rims and tires without getting themselves dirty as well.

this is sweet af.

·
Registered
7 Posts
..and to make it quieter - all that foam underneath. I took mine off. Only reason is because I had 2 coils go out before 60K miles, so I figured maybe the cover is holding in heat...

I hear what you are sayin'. It's all a matter of personal preference/visual modification and $$.
elaborate pls...i know nothing about cars...

did it improve performance?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts