Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Caliper Covers

30K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Nakhi Allah 
#1 ·
After a lot of deliberation I installed MGP caliper covers.

I had considered painting my calipers but I think these look better. Also saved me a lot of time. The downside is the price, which seems a bit steep for what they are. But I guess that is because they are custom CNC machined rather than mass produced stampings.

I also thought long and hard about getting red, the traditional color for high-performance brakes, but I decided since these aren't high performance that the more subtle black was more appropriate, especially with the C trim and granite crystal paint. I like subtle style more than flash.

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: Fernboy61
#3 ·
Glad someone bit the bullet and got some! Im in the same boat though, for the price and what they are it is a little high, but ive heard nothing but good about them. I painted my brakes red and they look good but these definately are a cleaner way to do it! They look awesome, hopefully ordering myself some soon

Reactions: Pennhaven
#4 ·
They are definitely freakin expensive. But I've been wanting them anyway! I'm trying to find the ones like they have on the black 2015 200S Mopar Show car. They are simply gloss black with "Mopar" in white. So far I haven't found them.
Pennhaven, Do yours fit nice and tight with no rattle? They really look good but I think they'd even look better if you'd paint the paintable parts of your rotor black also...

#6 · (Edited)
The show car ones may have been one-off customs. MGP can engrave any graphic you want, but for even more money.

They fit nice and snug, totally quiet so far. The rears are super easy to install. The fronts take a little more fiddling than indicated in the instructions and videos, since the clips tend to rotate a bit out of position as the nuts are tightened, so I found I needed to redo while holding the clip in place with pliers as I finished torqueing the nut.

Yeah, black paint on the rotor edges would look great, thanks. Maybe when the weather is cooler I'll get more ambitious.

#5 ·
I just got my new 200 S about a week ago and have been considering those same caliper covers pretty much all week. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get them despite the price. My one question was if you noticed any less brake dust using them. Ive already cleaned my rims a few times this week and was hoping it would hold out longer with the covers.

#7 ·
Too soon to tell:), but I've never seen much brake dust on these wheels, so I'm not expecting to see any less with the covers on.

#10 ·
Those look great! For our cars, black probably is the best option, unless we upgraded the brakes. Other than a true color-match, if someone went that route, I guess.

#11 ·
I think the red covers actually would look pretty good on the S, though not with Vivid Blue and Velvet Red, for those I'd stick with black.

#12 ·
Received my MGP Caliper Covers today for my 2015 200S with the 19" Hyper Black wheels. The fronts went on fine and had no clearance issue. I installed the rear drivers side and they scrap the interior of my wheel right where they curve into the lugs. I took the wheel back off to make sure I had installed them correctly and they still hit. The directions mention adding a wheel spacer. Has anybody else had to add a spacer to a 200S with the 19 inch wheels?????

#14 · (Edited)
I'll get some pictures of the fronts posted. Will have to wait for the rears.

#16 ·

#19 ·
Actually not to fond of covers, think they look ricey. Specially with the painted on bolts lol
The faux bolt heads are actually CNC machined into the surface and then painted. :) I have somewhat mixed feelings about these covers myself, but overall I decided that they look pretty good for what they are... :p

Reactions: Cschmidt
#20 ·
After a lot of deliberation I installed MGP caliper covers.

I had considered painting my calipers but I think these look better. Also saved me a lot of time. The downside is the price, which seems a bit steep for what they are. But I guess that is because they are custom CNC machined rather than mass produced stampings.

I also thought long and hard about getting red, the traditional color for high-performance brakes, but I decided since these aren't high performance that the more subtle black was more appropriate, especially with the C trim and granite crystal paint. I like subtle style more than flash.

View attachment 29234 View attachment 29242
Nice!!!!!! I like it in black. So the price on their web site, did that include all 4 wheels?

#21 ·
Yes.

#22 ·
Still waiting on my "new" rear caliper covers. I sent mine back to MGP to be machined again to fit the larger hub of the 200S. Instead of machining mine and sending them back they decided to redesign the rears. Apparently I will receive the first set of redesigned rear covers. Should ship today hopefully so I should have them installed and post pictures early next week.

Reactions: Pennhaven
#23 ·
You mean the thicker profile of the 19" wheels, shouldn't matter if the car is S or C. Thanks for the update though.

#24 ·
For some reason the MGP Caliper Covers just don't do it for me. I saw that MOPAR has some Brembo style front brake calipers in the works on one of their MOPAR show cars, and I would be interested in something like that I suppose. Otherwise I was looking at painting my calipers in the Interim.

#25 ·
Yeah the mopar brakes look awesome, the slotted rotors and the calipers are very cool. I couldn't justify paying for the caliper covers so i just plasti dipped mine black. And to all the people that are gonna flame on plasti dipping it, it has been on it for about a month and looks good as day 1. But the main reason to dipping was its a lease and i need it removable + if i don't like the color well, it just peels off!

#26 ·
Do you have any pictures?

#29 ·
Think I am gonna bite the bullet and get them in red... but first I am going to see if Mopar has any for the 200. They finally just released the Mopar Appearance kit in Vivid Blue, I had bothered them about that for so long. So I am thinking of doing it all.

#30 ·
Hey. I continue to be happy with mine. They still are like new and definitely continue to look a whole lot better than the stock caliper. While I still think the price could be better, I guess the market just isn't attractive enough for competition to push the price down. So it is what it is, a semi-custom, low-volume, premium-priced item.

#31 ·
I think they look nice! My only concern is that maybe these might contribute to holding in the heat from the brake pads? :confused:

#32 ·
There is air flow between the cover and caliper, so I doubt there is any risk of increased heat build up.

#34 ·
I don't know what a dealer would charge. It likely would depend on the dealer - but at least twice what it's worth would be my guess.;)

I bought wheel locks the day my car was delivered and they quoted $25 to "install" them, a job which literally takes five minutes.

But seriously, let's say, you are also having the tires rotated, then IMO an additional half hour of labor to install the caliper covers wouldn't be unreasonable.

Or, to do the covers alone, say 3/4 hour total.

But then, even if the time is fair, at the hourly rate most dealers charge, the value for the money still isn't likely to be any bargain..

#36 ·
I got a set of the MGP Caliper Covers as well for my '15 200 S. I got a little crafty with them and wrapped them in blue reflective high heat grade vinyl then ordered some high heat vinyl Mopar decals and put those on too. I wanted something that really pops and these did the trick. I just took the photo, dont mind the dirtiness. I need to get my baby washed but I've been busy. I'll try to get a night picture with the flash because when light hits these covers, they glow bright baby blue. Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

#40 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Executive car
I got the red covers with the chrysler logo on them...Ive had mine for just over a year and went thru one winter thus far and have to say i dealt with some harsh, snow, salt, slush you name it..They still look great..I did apply some spray wax before i installed them..I did however had to put wheel spacers on which was fine cuz i had all intentions on putting some on to bring out the wheels some..I went with the 3/4" and got them in black..Had to get new luggz too so overall spacers+longer lugz was bit pricey but worth it.. Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.