Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2015 200s, just over 100k miles on it. I bought it around 80k. this noise has been happening since then but not as frequent. I describe the noise as a clanking, clinking sound. it comes from the rear passenger wheel, and only occurs at low speeds (below 10mph). mostly when accelerating, like when pulling in or out of a parking lot, or from a stop sign. occurs both when going straight or turning, and is not correlated with bumps, it happens mostly on smooth roads. as far as i know has no correlation with shifting gears. no handling or driving issues. does not make noise or feeing inside car... but you can hear it loud and clear outside of car or if you have windows rolled down.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There were some STAR bulletins about nuisance noises:

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had the loose TPMS sensor issue before and that can definitely cause a rattle a low speed. If you raise the wheel and spin it a bit you can quickly tell if this is the source.

I've also had a rattle caused by a slightly bent shield behind the brake rotor. It was very slightly bent and since there is not a lot clearance between it and the rotor would hit the spinning rotor intermittently and make noise. Easy fix once I found it, just bend the shield back to its normal position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the loose TPMS sensor issue before and that can definitely cause a rattle a low speed. If you raise the wheel and spin it a bit you can quickly tell if this is the source.

I've also had a rattle caused by a slightly bent shield behind the brake rotor. It was very slightly bent and since there is not a lot clearance between it and the rotor would hit the spinning rotor intermittently and make noise. Easy fix once I found it, just bend the shield back to its normal position.
funny enough, I took my 200 to walmart to have a nail removed from my tire because my usual shop was busy. when they returned the car, the sensor in the dash read “- -“ for one of the tires, and i knew they had broke the tpms sensor. I didn’t realize this could be the cause of the sounds or correlate them to beginning at the same time. does this kind of confirm it?

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
I think you just nailed it. If they had to remove the tire to patch it, the tire machine could have caught and broke the plastic TPMS.
Take it back and speak with the service manager about what to do next.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like it. The sensor broke off the valve stem and will hit against the rim at low speeds and make sounds but once the wheel gets spinning it's held to the outer surface and will be quiet until you slow down.

Reactions: 200_S_AWD

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may have two separate issues:
I've had the loose TPMS sensor before. Dealership charged $200 to replace and the tire shop did nothing to help the damage they did. Regardless - mine didn't make any noise.
Bad rear sway bar links are very common on this car and are the sound you describe. Keep the car on the ground and try to move them. If there's play, they're bad. By seeing how small of a part they are, you wouldn't believe the noise they make.

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
Sway link rattle tends to be related to going over bumps. I had them done on my 2016.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200C 3.6
7 Posts
I own a 2015 200s, just over 100k miles on it. I bought it around 80k. this noise has been happening since then but not as frequent. I describe the noise as a clanking, clinking sound. it comes from the rear passenger wheel, and only occurs at low speeds (below 10mph). mostly when accelerating, like when pulling in or out of a parking lot, or from a stop sign. occurs both when going straight or turning, and is not correlated with bumps, it happens mostly on smooth roads. as far as i know has no correlation with shifting gears. no handling or driving issues. does not make noise or feeing inside car... but you can hear it loud and clear outside of car or if you have windows rolled down.
i had a clanking noise and found it yesterday. when going over bumps or on smooth roads id hear it. when i applied any kind of brake pressure it went away intantly until i let off the brakes, mind you this is only the front brakes. Our cars have two different size rotors for the front, 305mm and 330mm. i found when i removed the wheels and tapped the cailpers the clanking sound was created by loose pads. the dealer CARon in Ottawa Ontario had no idea of this and put the 305mm spec pads in. Since putting in the new pads ive lost the clanking sound. try this and let me know if it helped. you may need to also get brake shims to fix this if on a budget, ask for 2000 chrysler intrepid brake shims. i work in a mechanic shop and this is frequent problem with volkswagons and how we fix it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts