Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 200 2.4l 4 cylinder. My problem started out with my car stalling only when turning after starting it. It would start completely normal but as soon as I’d make a first turn it would stall, tell me to put my car back in park, then it tells me key fob is not detected so I have to physically press the start button with my fob. The battery light comes on but this is a brand new battery. It is very rough when it tries to start again and it takes a few tries. It first started happening when it was around 55 degrees Fahrenheit outside but today it’s 40 with a strong cold north wind. My car stalled every time I came to a stop until I got 2 dashes on my temp gauge. The check engine light will come on for a couple days but then turn off. The code it threw was p0300 but I haven’t really felt any misfires. It has been idling kind of rough before the stalling problem. I replaced all my spark plugs. My ignition coils looked fine as far as I could tell. What could be the issue? I’m trying to keep it out if the shop and do the work myself but don’t want to spend a fortune fixing the wrong thing just to have the problem again

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,512 Posts
P0300 is a multiple cylinder misfire. Perhaps it set when it was running rough?
The battery warning light may indicate a charging system malfunction, the battery itself may be fine.
Did you replace the plugs with the same type that you took out? I think these are Champion or NGK Iridiums good for 100K miles. Did the old plugs show any signs of carbon fouling (black tips)? How do the new ones look?

The key fob not being detected could be the main problem? There may be helpful fault codes in the TIPM, BCM or WCM? These probably can't be read with a regular OBD2 code reader and may require a more capable scan tool to read.
Has the battery in the fob(s) been replaced?

The 2 dashes in the temp display sounds like a CAN bus communication issue. Any other symptoms when this happened?

Check the wiring harness for corrosion or rub-through:

Product Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, did u ever find about the the car stalling problem cuz I was having the same issue when the weather is cold out side & I don’t let my car warm up it stop & tell me to put it in park also but once I get one or two bars on the cooling gauge it be fine ..so I was just wondering what I have to do to fix this problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0300 is a multiple cylinder misfire. Perhaps it set when it was running rough?
The battery warning light may indicate a charging system malfunction, the battery itself may be fine.
Did you replace the plugs with the same type that you took out? I think these are Champion or NGK Iridiums good for 100K miles. Did the old plugs show any signs of carbon fouling (black tips)? How do the new ones look?

The key fob not being detected could be the main problem? There may be helpful fault codes in the TIPM, BCM or WCM? These probably can't be read with a regular OBD2 code reader and may require a more capable scan tool to read.
Has the battery in the fob(s) been replaced?

The 2 dashes in the temp display sounds like a CAN bus communication issue. Any other symptoms when this happened?

Check the wiring harness for corrosion or rub-through:

View attachment 58192
Yea I was wondering if it could be the alternator? The battery is literally brand new and I checked the connections nothing loose. I did replace the spark plugs with ngk iridiums. The first cylinder spark plug had a lot of white deposits on it but the rest looked fine. I’ll replace the key fob battery but I highly doubt that is the issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi, did u ever find about the the car stalling problem cuz I was having the same issue when the weather is cold out side & I don’t let my car warm up it stop & tell me to put it in park also but once I get one or two bars on the cooling gauge it be fine ..so I was just wondering what I have to do to fix this problem
No sorry still nothing. I wasn’t having any luck with Google searches so I started this post so just keep watching this post. Hopefully somebody fixed this problem

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,512 Posts
A sign of a weak fob signal is having to hold it to the start button to start the car.
If you had a 2nd key fob, you could prove this out.
The lit battery icon and the car dying, sounds like a charging issue. Low charging voltage can cause running and weird electrical problems.
Ronron1, yours is a 2015 with a 2.4L? If your problem is only cold start and running problems without the warning lights, there may be a software fix. You may want to start a new thread for yours. (disregard this if you have had the oil consumption recall performed. That software flash should include all these improvements also):

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 200 2.4l 4 cylinder. My problem started out with my car stalling only when turning after starting it. It would start completely normal but as soon as I’d make a first turn it would stall, tell me to put my car back in park, then it tells me key fob is not detected so I have to physically press the start button with my fob. The battery light comes on but this is a brand new battery. It is very rough when it tries to start again and it takes a few tries. It first started happening when it was around 55 degrees Fahrenheit outside but today it’s 40 with a strong cold north wind. My car stalled every time I came to a stop until I got 2 dashes on my temp gauge. The check engine light will come on for a couple days but then turn off. The code it threw was p0300 but I haven’t really felt any misfires. It has been idling kind of rough before the stalling problem. I replaced all my spark plugs. My ignition coils looked fine as far as I could tell. What could be the issue? I’m trying to keep it out if the shop and do the work myself but don’t want to spend a fortune fixing the wrong thing just to have the problem again
I've been finding a lot of ground issues and many vehicles lately especially in the Rust Belt area of the Midwest where they use salt on the roads.
Very important to check ground cables. I've also seen some negative battery terminals/ cables going bad on some Chrysler products, Ford products and GM products...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts