Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fun one, this morning. Went out to go to work and the car was totally 'dead'

No response to keyfob, no response to the door handle.

I uses the valet key to open the door, no lights came on, no dash, nothing.

Tried pushing the start button, pressing brake, etc. nothing.

Pulled the hood lever, walked around to the front and opened the hood and.... The alarm goes off! Loud and proud.

Got back, in hit start and it fired right up, and I put 700kms on it today, with no issues, other than the clock in the radio had gone back to 12.

The battery was chargint at 13.7volts while at highway speeds.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would start w the battery connections and load test the battery. 13.7 volts is great, the charging system is working but doesn't mean the battery is OK. Or maybe a bad ground somewhere?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Had this happen to me over a year ago. Battery connections were slightly loose, creating an electrical arc and preventing it from starting. Ruined the battery, but was usable for a little while. Replaced it quickly rather than waiting for it to totally die.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine were funky when I changed the battery. Don't like the set up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a same issue TWO WEEKS after I bought the car where mine did that intermittently. Chrysler said I didn't have the right battery installed in it. That you HAVE TO use the specific designed battery so the connectors fit accordingly. Thought that was strange but so far they were right!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just waiting for all the codes to settle after my radio swap, then I will take it to the dealer for a battery test and just see what they say.

I also have a flickering guage cluster to get checked out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car did it again on Wednesday. THis time the alrm did not go off when I opened the hood, so I check the battery and the positive post was not tightened at all. The nut was up over 1/8" before it contacted the clamp.
Tightened it and, so far, so problems.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The car did it again on Wednesday. THis time the alrm did not go off when I opened the hood, so I check the battery and the positive post was not tightened at all. The nut was up over 1/8" before it contacted the clamp.
Tightened it and, so far, so problems.
You may want to have your battery checked as a precaution, loose clamps could have damaged the batter. If it's original battery, might be time to replace.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's good news...not something major. Battery and connections is the first place too start for any electrical issue w this car and a lot of times its one of those that fixes the prob.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, but nothing has been done that would require removing the battery cables, so I assume it was never tightened at the factory?

·
Registered
318 Posts
They couldve come loose. The clamps are a little funky.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes, but nothing has been done that would require removing the battery cables, so I assume it was never tightened at the factory?
My conspiracy theory: My prior dealership was upset that I wouldn't pay to have them clean the battery terminals. They loosed them! :)

But this seems to be an interesting issue, not sure if the terminals are just not tightened enough or we need to just keep checking them as part of a maintenance issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts