Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I have a 2015, Chrysler 200s.

This has only happened once (just today) and shortly after I had driven the car earlier.

I entered my car, pressed the button to start it, it was turning over, and over, but it never did. A message popped up about servicing the transmission (which I will). Even though it was serviced less than 10,000 km (6,000 miles)

I tried starting the car with the remote start, and it turned over instantly. I went over all of the Engine details through the dash panel, and everything seemed to be just fine. Including my engine oil life which is at about %30.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 'Service Transmission' message isn't a maintenance reminder. There is no scheduled maintenance interval for the transaxle in normal use.

Font Terrestrial plant Number Document Screenshot

You may have a PCM/TCM fault code stored? Do you have a 2nd key fob to carry with you if it is a key fob issue?
Press the 'Start' button with the fob if you suspect that the battery is weak.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Document Elbow

Reactions: Isbre

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply. I do have a second key fob. And I will look into your suggestion much more closely!

Thanks again
Always must ask this.
How old is the battery in the car ?
How long ago did you change the key fob battery ?
These vehicles are very sensitive to low battery conditions. If it's old. replace the battery. Key fob too !
BTW, when our battery went "dead" and the car wouldn't start, the message "service transmission" came up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always must ask this.
How old is the battery in the car ?
How long ago did you change the key fob battery ?
These vehicles are very sensitive to low battery conditions. If it's old. replace the battery. Key fob too !
BTW, when our battery went "dead" and the car wouldn't start, the message "service transmission" came up.
Hello, thanks for the reply, the battery is about 4 years old. The Voltage (on the dash, when you scroll through the engine options) was at 14, where it normally is.

The key Fob battery, good idea, I will have to replace that.

Oh, that's good to know about the "service transmission" message that you received, thanks for that!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello, thanks for the reply, the battery is about 4 years old. The Voltage (on the dash, when you scroll through the engine options) was at 14, where it normally is.

The key Fob battery, good idea, I will have to replace that.

Oh, that's good to know about the "service transmission" message that you received, thanks for that!
4 years old, for these cars its about time for a new one. 14 is typical when its running. when off and then the start procedure is were a dying battery will show its colors.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Most local auto parts stores offer a free, comprehensive battery/starting/charging test.
You may also want to check for any stored PCM/TCM fault codes.
Automotive tire Product Sleeve Automotive exterior Font

Sleeve Font Engineering Screenshot Advertising

Product Font Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, these cars go through batteries faster. I believe it's mostly due to the electronics onboard and a higher power draw in standby mode. I've had my car for 8 years now and am on my 3rd battery. I also did get the service transmission message one of the times when the first battery went. It would try to turn over, fail, and then the electronics would reset and throw up some nonsense error messages. Once I replaced the battery it all resolved itself.

Reactions: Isbre

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, these cars go through batteries faster. I believe it's mostly due to the electronics onboard and a higher power draw in standby mode. I've had my car for 8 years now and am on my 3rd battery. I also did get the service transmission message one of the times when the first battery went. It would try to turn over, fail, and then the electronics would reset and throw up some nonsense error messages. Once I replaced the battery it all resolved itself.
Thanks! It is starting to sound like a battery issue now. 4 years sure seems like a short lifespan. But if that is the problem, it is surely better than a transmission issue!

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Thanks! It is starting to sound like a battery issue now. 4 years sure seems like a short lifespan. But if that is the problem, it is surely better than a transmission issue!
Yes, do yourself a favor and replace that battery with a good quality one.
4 years is good, some get less and some more, but generally that is a decent life span for the newer highly electronic cars today.
After replacing our battery the dash warning lights stayed on for 3 cycles before they went out ( normal ) and there were no other issues after that. I drove to my wife's place of employment as it went dead while she was listening to the radio on break. One minute it was good, the next it was dead.
Replace that battery ... and the FOB battery along with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, do yourself a favor and replace that battery with a good quality one.
4 years is good, some get less and some more, but generally that is a decent life span for the newer highly electronic cars today.
After replacing our battery the dash warning lights stayed on for 3 cycles before they went out ( normal ) and there were no other issues after that. I drove to my wife's place of employment as it went dead while she was listening to the radio on break. One minute it was good, the next it was dead.
Replace that battery ... and the FOB battery along with it.
Thanks will do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The original battery that came with mine barely lasted 3 the interstate in now is over 4 and no sign of dying yet and I've been waiting for it thinking it would be soon, nope which is good cause it was ridiculously expensive

·
Registered
1 Posts
I entered my vehicle, squeezed the button to begin it, it was turning over, and over, yet it won't ever do. A message sprung up about overhauling the transmission (which I will). Despite the fact that it was adjusted under 10,000 km (6,000 miles)

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't overhaul anything yet.
Check the PCM & TCM for stored fault codes.
A 'no-start' situation wouldn't be because of a transaxle problem.
Always diagnose first.
What year & engine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts