Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I walked out to my car this morning and it wouldn’t start. No cranking, but a consistent click every few seconds. I hooked it up to jumper cables, but after >30min nothing has changed. What confuses me is the interior lights work, the radio works, and the dash lights are all working. Is it the battery or something else?

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
565 Posts
The starter is a high current draw and would be most affected by a low battery or poor connection. The radio, interior and dash lamps are low current draw.
Do the headlamps (moderate current draw) dim or go out when you try to crank it over?
Are these robust jumper cables? I've had problems with cheap, skinny ones.
Battery terminals clean and tight? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
430 Posts
99% Battery is junk.

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a mechanic come out to the car and he was able to jump it using a booster pack. My jumper cables are brand new and they’re not the super skinny ones. Paid $50 for them. Duracell brand.

Anyway, it’s at the shop and will likely need a battery; hopefully nothing else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How old is the battery? The TIPM (total integrated power module) monitors the voltages and if not high enough will not trip the relay to the starter. As noted, that is why the radio, for example, will be good. My battery died just that quickly, 2014 200. One day good, next morning not. New battery and no problems since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iv had the same issue happen to me with my 2016, one morning i got up to my car and the same thing as you but what i found out is that my dash sometimes doesn’t close properly, so now to make sure my car starts in the morning when i lock it i gotta stand next to it and make sure all the lights go off or else the next morning the battery is dead again. Very annoying

1 - 8 of 8 Posts