Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after all these years of the mfg. companies working to make it so our cars can not be stolen from us it seems it is just word that better? maybe we need to just go back to just plain keys? anyway, what do you think about the Mfg. programming the new cars and maybe even our used one so that when they are setting on the sales lot the dealer can program the fobs to not work after business hours. in the cars. around my town, new cars are getting stolen like rain from the sky. they break into the building grab fobs press the alarm to match the fob to a car and off they go. so if the cars could get programmed to not answer their respective fobs after a set time then do you think it would be worth trying to steal them? then after the cars sold the service team could just turn that off.

also, what do you think of the idea of having the cops be able to slow your car if it was stolen or a person is running form the law by pointing a remote type device into the rearview mirror and using a sensor like the tv remotes use to slow the car down to say 25 mph. this would give the cops time to surround that car. and then if the car was just abandoned like the drive bailed out the car would then slow to a stop and then shut down and put itself into park. a cop chasing that car would then have to stand by to help protect that car from other damage, say form a distracted driver hitting it.

this may not be perfect but better than chasing the car into a home, a tree, or any other kind of damage. this could also be timed so after the car shut down the thrift is not going to wet there and be caught they bailed so then the car could be restarted by the owners and driven away.

just an idea. i expect after time even that could be gotten around, but it is a start? also for those that do not want their cars stolen from there spaces by stolen fobs maybe the owners could also be allowed to put in that timer. and the fob could be set up to use some type so morse code to allow the fob to bypass the lockout. yes inconvienent but better than have your car taken from your space.

and yes this will not work with towing as you do not need keys to tow a car. but just a thought thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Both are good ideas. I bet Car Manufacturers are working on something like that now and if theyre not, they should.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FCA had problems with remote take over of some of their cars a few years ago and the publicity forced them to tighten up security... If a police officer could disable a car so could a hacker (all it would take is a sample of the data stream from who ever was sending it to disable the car)... We want all kinds of special wireless options UNTIL it affects our cars or lives... Be careful of what you wish for... We are getting very close to cars we will no longer have any control of... and of cars that will NOT be repairable by ourselves and ONLY by the dealers...
Most of the wonderful new car options ARE locked by the manufacturers and dealers and require special PIN #s only available to them... Wireless control of cars should not be available like you wish and SHOULD be unavailable to anyone other than remote start while in PARK (only)...
Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that may be so but if it was done i pairs like one cop sets a code then another one seat another code. i guess hijackers can do it but not as likely. as hijackers don't seem to work in groups like that. but I'm sure they will figure out something.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Open a door just a crack and thieves will find a way in... There are young software hackers just looking for that opening... Microsoft with their "Windows" operating system created this software with lots of ways to allow hackers to gain access and from Windows version 2 to this day (Windows 10 ver ++++) still requires "anti-virus" software and continuous so called updates... Another operating system (Linux) was created as a work around OS clone for UNIX... It was built from ground up as a secure OS and it doesn't need anti- malware/virus/ransomware software...I have been running a version of Linux (Linux Mint since WIndows 98/Mellenium) and the security built in keeps hackers OUT...

You build a secure operating system (including a car's operating system) and lock down wireless access to essential devices (braking/acceleration/steering (now computer controlled)/lighting) from wireless access by putting a firewall between remotely update-able software (NAV/internet access/etc) and KEEP it there...

You are not going to stop the smart cars... They are here to stay... But you need to make sure their critical software/hardware IS protected... Look at Boeing and the European aircraft industries and what just a little error in programming can do when their "fly-by-wire" system software fails...

Besides...Do you really want any government agency controlling your car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts