Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i posted this as a thread? but got no replies, so I am posting as a new post. My car is a 2012 Chrysler 200

The power outlet is dead in the center console. The fuse is okay and there is power to the fuse, so it looks like there is something wrong with the plug or it's connector. Can the power outlet be removed by pulling or turning? If not, how do I remove the console to get at the plug and wiring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
What are you trying to plug in? Does it work elsewhere?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my 2012. I was using a tire inflator plugged into the power outlet by the shifter and it just stopped working. Fuse is good but no voltage at the outlet. The one inside the center console still works.

The service manual says the following.

disconnect battery
pry off HVAC bezel with a trim stick
pry off the shifter bezel with a trim stick
pry out the storage compartment in front of the shifter with a trim stick. That gets access to the power port in front of the shifter. If you need to get the main center console out carry on as follows...

Remove the console bin liner. Looks like you just pull it out. Underneath are 4 bolts. Remove those bolts and the console comes out.

Please update this thread after you've completed the repair. I'd like to know what was wrong because that might be the same thing on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks, I am going to try removing it today. I will post what I find. Seems like there is more than this to remove, but lets see?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to remove the console with your suggestions. The only thing I found was a big female plug lying under the console that may send power to the outlet in the center console, but I couldn't find where it plugs into. Around the time the outlet went dead, we had the car in the dealership for a recall on the occupant restraint controller module, so I am thinking they forgot to plug it back in. At the time we had an old GPS that stopped working and was plugged into that power outlet, so we just thought the old GPS finally went bad. Trouble is now, that was about a year ago, not sure the dealer would believe my story. When I was looking at how the HVAC faceplate came off, I noticed pry marks around the console which told me that someone had taken this apart before and that is what jogged my memory that the dealer had taken this apart to repair the module. If anyone knows where this red/grey plug with 4 wires goes, please let me know. The wires on the plug are: red/blue stripe, orange/grey stripe, yellow/green stripe, and a large black ground wire. The plug and it's connector all looked fine and properly connected.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Always best to post pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this. My wife's 2012 lighting is flashing inside this cubby. Not sure what is going on there but I'll need to take the console out to see what is going on. Not sure when I'll attempt it though.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was able to remove the console with your suggestions. The only thing I found was a big female plug lying under the console that may send power to the outlet in the center console, but I couldn't find where it plugs into. Around the time the outlet went dead, we had the car in the dealership for a recall on the occupant restraint controller module, so I am thinking they forgot to plug it back in. At the time we had an old GPS that stopped working and was plugged into that power outlet, so we just thought the old GPS finally went bad. Trouble is now, that was about a year ago, not sure the dealer would believe my story. When I was looking at how the HVAC faceplate came off, I noticed pry marks around the console which told me that someone had taken this apart before and that is what jogged my memory that the dealer had taken this apart to repair the module. If anyone knows where this red/grey plug with 4 wires goes, please let me know. The wires on the plug are: red/blue stripe, orange/grey stripe, yellow/green stripe, and a large black ground wire. The plug and it's connector all looked fine and properly connected.
Ugh, I wish I had seen this a few days ago when I had my console apart. It’s not that hard to get it loose again though, so if you’re still looking for where the wires go let me know and send me a pic and I’ll check my 2014 to see if I can find it for you. But, in case this will help, here’s a pic I thankfully took of the back of the power & USB outlets in front of the shifter...the black thick wire is connected to the USB outlet, the white connector with red and black wires is for the power outlet, I think the orange and black wires all the way at the left of the pic are for the LED light at the bottom of the HVAC panel, and the big bundle is the main connector for the HVAC panel. I don’t see a red/grey plug with four wires as you describe, so are you talking about the power outlet in the cubby behind the cup holders?

I have exactly the same problem on my 2012. I was using a tire inflator plugged into the power outlet by the shifter and it just stopped working. Fuse is good but no voltage at the outlet. The one inside the center console still works.
The 12V power outlet in front of the shifter is only powered with the key on, whereas the one in bottom closed cubby at the back of the center console has direct battery power at all times (so don’t leave stuff plugged in there charging or playing and kill your car battery), so if you’re trying to power up something from the outlet in front of the shifter with the key off you may not have a problem at all...also keep in mind that while it remains powered for a short time after the key is turned off, once the door is opened or so much time passes it will lose it’s power input until the next key-on cycle.

The service manual says the following.

disconnect battery
pry off HVAC bezel with a trim stick
pry off the shifter bezel with a trim stick
pry out the storage compartment in front of the shifter with a trim stick. That gets access to the power port in front of the shifter. If you need to get the main center console out carry on as follows...

Remove the console bin liner. Looks like you just pull it out. Underneath are 4 bolts. Remove those bolts and the console comes out.

Please update this thread after you've completed the repair. I'd like to know what was wrong because that might be the same thing on mine.
Very good description...that said, I noticed some discrepancies/absence of useful info in the instructions for installing the factory remote start in these vehicles and don’t know if the service manual would have the deficiencies as well. Things like saying to remove the defroster grill before the a-pillars (which is impossible), it doesn’t mention the upper clips retaining the a-pillars that need to be dislodged, it says to remove the left dash endplate before moving the door seal (which is impossible), etc. (again, that’s for the remote start install, not just to remove the center console), but if needed I can edit some pics of the instructions and post a proper method (with tool sizes) for disassembly of the dash/center console components if anyone would like, just let me know...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
picture of plug in console

Finally got back to work on the dead power outlet in the console. I took out the controls so I could take a picture of a plug that is not plugged in and I think it powers the power outlet. Anyone have an idea where this plugs into? It looks like it is from the battery side going into a plug that must be inside the console?

100_2285.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just so I'm clear, are you talking about the power outlet in front of the shifter or the one under the center console armrest? I've been procrastinating too long about this. so I don't have the answer about my power outlet in front of the shifter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The outlet inside the center console, under the arm rest is what I am talking about. It mysteriously stopped working after the Chrysler dealer did a recall replacement on a controller for the seat belts that is located behind the air conditioner controls. I found this plug under the coin tray after taking out the controls and the coin tray. I couldn't see where it plugs into and was afraid to do much around the controller for the air bags. I did try to remove the whole console awhile ago but after taking out all the bolts shown in the Haines manual and what was shown on this post, the console would not come out, it seemed to be hung up on the front portion but I couldn't see what was holding it from coming off.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I looked at the factory service manual again and the large console (the one with the center armrest) is held in at its forward edge by the rear edge of the small storage console in front of the shifter. You have to take out the one in front of the shifter first.

The service manual I'm using does not have a wiring diagram so I don't know about the connector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Luca Brasi
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing