Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 with the 6 speed transmission. After about 110k miles, it's starting to clunk when shifting into drive, and act a little quirky. Instead of buying a new Chrysler 200 6 speed transmission, is there an 8 speed fwd transmission that can be installed? Would that not be possible, or could an ECU tune allow the car to run with an 8 or 9 speed transmission? I know the modern 9 speed Chrysler 200 transmission is problematic, but are there others that aren't?

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
If it were me I would use a refurb or used original transmission. The harness and ECU changes would be a nightmare and/or would cost more than buying another vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,323 Posts
Make sure that the PCM/TCM are at the latest and greatest software revision for smooth shifts.
If you haven't already, it may be in need of a fresh fluid and filter change. Use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602.
If the 62TE is on its way out and the rest of the car is in good shape, replace the transaxle.

Reactions: 7ekhed

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 with the 6 speed transmission. After about 110k miles, it's starting to clunk when shifting into drive, and act a little quirky. Instead of buying a new Chrysler 200 6 speed transmission, is there an 8 speed fwd transmission that can be installed? Would that not be possible, or could an ECU tune allow the car to run with an 8 or 9 speed transmission? I know the modern 9 speed Chrysler 200 transmission is problematic, but are there others that aren't?
Yes is possible. when mine will be dead, i will swap it with a DCT coming of a GTI or Audi, because some of them are FWD base

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea it’s possible if you want to fabricate a custom trans mount, cv shafts, starter, trans cooler lines, front subframe for clearance, shift cable, maybe trans bell housing bolt pattern, flex plate, torque converter, wiring, and probably much more. Oh and you’ll have to completely re engineer the software for many modules to work with a trans never installed to that engine or car. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts