Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Today the battery was disconnected for a while and either it's placebo or the car indeed has a different feel now - it feels less responsive. Again, it might be placebo, but I'm suspecting that disconnecting the battery has reset my driving profile (assuming that adaptive transmission is a thing) and is relearning my driving habits. Will it get better over time without the quick learn procedure?

A had TCM updated recently and was overall happy with how the transmission and car performs.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. @Marcino84, also in Poland posted about this recently. Coincidence?

A PROXI alignment & Quicklearn should be performed anytime a TCM is reprogrammed or replaced.
There are adaptive values in the PCM & TCM that accumulate over drive time. A battery disconnect may érase'these adaptives and the modules have to 'relearn'the values.
They may eventually come back with a 'drivelearn' (normal driving). Or a Quicklearn will force the module to learn CVIs (clutch fill volumes) quickly.
Font Sky Darkness Screenshot Circle

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. @Marcino84, also in Poland posted about this recently. Coincidence?
Yeah, he's asking about the exact same thing, I already messaged him actually, I noticed his thread right after I created mine.

Anyway, thank you for your input, apparently I'm not imagining things and transmission may indeed behave differently after a battery disconnect.

When I had TCM updated a week ago, a quick learn was performed for sure. Not sure about a PROXI alignmen though, it probably wasn't, unless it comes within the same process. Either way I noticed a difference - previously upshifting from 4 to 5 was often a little jerky, as well as 2-3, to a lesser extent. After the update, 4-5 is smooth, barely noticeable, a big improvement. 2-3 is more or less the same, maybe a little smoother. Overall it's better, still not perfect, but nothing that would distract or annoy. But I never had any slamming or serious jerking some people reported in the first place, it was OK before the updates, it's further improved with them.

As for the disconnected battery today, I took the car for a little ride again and I think it's a bit better, the responsiveness is coming back. Hopefully it will learn relatively quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
for me it improved after a few attempts to accelerate in S mode. I will wait more, maybe in a week it will be as good as it used to be. However, it continues to jerk at a standstill when changing, for example, from P to D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Marcino84 I stumbled upon this, might be worth a try, please let me know if you noticed any difference.

For me it's noticeably better too, not sure if it's the above pedal recalibration, transmission relearning my driving style or both, but the feeling that the car is unresponsive unless I floor it is gone I think. This was my biggest issue, low speed acceleration. I.e I accelerated slowly from a stop in a traffic, then wanted to gain some speed, but the reaction was sluggish until I really pressed it. Right now it allows for a more "spirited" driving without stepping on the gas pedal all the way down ;)

I read somewhere that it can take up toa few hundred miles before fully relearning your driving habits, and before that, especially at the beginning, it can be slow or even jerky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts