Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I signed up to this forum to give some clarity and help to those with 3.6L engines that have failed and need replacement. I'll start off by saying I picked up a 2011 Chrysler 200 V6 for $1,500 because it had the right side bank lifter tick and a blown head gasket. I was still able to drive it half an hour home and was a bit disappointed because the engine ran awesome even with the issues, but I had an engine for it waiting to go in. My main reason for posting is because, before this project, I was looking up two things that I couldn't find any solid posts about. They may be there, but I don't know how much digging I'd have to do, to find it.

1) Can I lift the engine out of the car? I couldn't find one post about the Pentastar being lifted out with an engine hoist. Talking to Chrysler techs, they all seem to agree that its impossible and the cradle and powertrain has to be lowered from a car(aka: you need a lift). I don't have a lift, I have a double car garage. The answer is yes, you can lift the engine out of the car. I had to drop the transmission, which only required the car to be jacked up about 1.5 feet off the ground. After that, the engine had tons of space to be craned out.
2) Can other Pentastar engines fit this application? I'm not sure of every 3.6L that's been made, but the engine that replaced my 200's, was from a 2014 Grand Caravan. I assume every transverse mounted pentastar will work, until they updated it(2014?). There were some differences, such as upper and lower intake manifolds with the fuel injectors needing to be swapped, oil fill neck, dipstick tube, some studs removed for the ac compressor and alternator, the flex plate, and some other very minor hardware. Otherwise, everything bolted on without a hitch.

I've replaced engines on VW's before and to be honest, this was probably more challenging. Less space to work with, the worst part aside from marrying the engine and trans back up, was getting the rear cat bolted back up and passenger side axle bolted up, you can barely rotate your wrist around back there. Otherwise, pretty straight forward. I removed the entire front clip(bumper, headlights, rad, condenser, rad support), and was able to retain all my AC since I just moved it out of the way, and didn't have to open the power steering system up either.

Overall time taken was about 14 hours worth of pure working minus the beer drinking and pausing every now and then wondering if I'm in over my head. The car is running awesome again and super happy with it! Anybody want to ask, then feel free!

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You may want a service manual for reference on this job. Think of it a tool cost. It can be yours after purchase and stay with the car.

The service instructions have the eng/trans assembly dropped out the bottom onto a dolly (see attached). Lifting the eng out the top and leaving the A/C intact is uncharted territory for me. With the front end removed it looks like you just may have the room to proceed with your plans.

The Pentastar is the same between 2011-2013. they underwent some changes in 2014-up. Other years may work, but they wouldn't be considered a 'direct replacement'.
I entered your data into a Mopar parts website to get a part number and model fitment info. See below:

Font Pattern Parallel Terrestrial plant Circle

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. You may want a service manual for reference on this job. Think of it a tool cost. It can be yours after purchase and stay with the car.

The service instructions have the eng/trans assembly dropped out the bottom onto a dolly (see attached). Lifting the eng out the top and leaving the A/C intact is uncharted territory for me. With the front end removed it looks like you just may have the room to proceed with your plans.

The Pentastar is the same between 2011-2013. they underwent some changes in 2014-up. Other years may work, but they wouldn't be considered a 'direct replacement'.
I entered your data into a Mopar parts website to get a part number and model fitment info. See below:

View attachment 58479

View attachment 58480
This information would've been great to have before I purchased the engine, but have no regrets. Carrying over some miscellaneous items is of no big deal to me. Working on a Chrysler at all, was uncharted territory. As I'm used to doing this on Volkswagens and Audi's, I had a sigh of relief when I saw the front rad support was plastic and could be removed, since VW has their front end removed for lots of bigger jobs and is called service position. Wasn't quite as straight forward on this 200, but overall I had tons of room, AC was retained and I got the engine in and out no problem with my engine crane. Tons of room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts