Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,688 Posts
Any progress on the P219A & P0301? Or are you wanting to swap parts to diagnose it?

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
You have to begin with a diagnosis. Ask for help. You need a capable scan tool. There is no other way.
Even if you have to buy a technician's time and then do the work yourself.
Diagnostic charges at most shop's is 1 hour labor ($100-$150). Get an answer and estimate, then decide if you want to do the job or have them do it.
Continuing to drive the car with a misfire & mixture imbalance can damage the engine and/or catalyst.

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
282 Posts
On the driver's side strut tower in the engine compartment is a heavy-duty black cable attached to a stud. This is the negative cable from the battery. Disconnect this cable to disconnect the battery. Note there is a plastic loop on this same cable end which can be slipped over the stud to keep the cable in place and prevent an inadvertent ground of the battery from the cable flopping around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the driver's side strut tower in the engine compartment is a heavy-duty black cable attached to a stud. This is the negative cable from the battery. Disconnect this cable to disconnect the battery. Note there is a plastic loop on this same cable end which can be slipped over the stud to keep the cable in place and prevent an inadvertent ground of the battery from the cable flopping around.
No progress. .well I don't have a diagnostic tester and I've never messed with cars before so I'm just you tubing it . I need help
I put 2 ignition coils and 1 spark plug and my engine light turned off and it started running good . That lasted about 3 hours and then light turned back on and same symptoms

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
Coils & plugs are not on the Possible Causes list for P219A. This car needs a proper diagnosis. You are spending money on parts that aren't related to the root cause. Always diagnose first.

Carbon build-up is one of the possible causes. If the plugs are carbon fouling, perhaps it was temporarily 'fixed' with a new plug? Which plug? Do the rest look OK?
Intake manifold gaskets OK?
Is cylinder compression OK?
Any valvetrain (MultiAir) issues? Valve noise?

A shop may be able to give you a diagnosis under their Diagnostic Fee (many times this is also the minimum charge).
At that point, you can decline further work, pick up the car and do the work yourself. Or, if the job requires special tools or skills, have them do it.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Administrator
2,688 Posts
I agree. Good catch.

The plugs don't have that many miles on them yet, the 'normal' tan deposits may not have shown up yet.
He had a previous P0301 (#1 cyl misfire). There may be a problem with that cylinder.
If that code is because of a carbon-fouled plug, it will send unburned oxygen past the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor will interpret this as a lean mixture & the PCM will drive the fuel injectors richer to try and lower the oxygen content of the exhaust.
This richer mixture may make a fouling situation even worse. The plug may not be able to 'burn off' the carbon and remain misfiring.

Carbon is somewhat of an electrical conductor and deposits on the plug tip may arc the ignition spark to ground causing the misfire.

Raw fuel entering a catalytic converter, may also overwork the converter and cause it to fail.
It is unwise to continue driving a car under these circumstances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts