Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Panoramic sunroof front part blew off on the highway during a very cold winter day (-25c). After looking on web a saw many complaints about same thing occurring with different brand of new vehicle since 2010 and higher, because glass are designed lighter and thiner. I found maybe a lot of explanation but even there is really hard to proof to dealer what occurred, Could be a flying rock or a bad batch of glasses. Hopefully no one has been injured and not one child was behind the rear seat. So let me know if same thing occurred to one of you, for now assurance are going to pay my dommage sunroof and minor painting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
now this is going to be a dumb question due to you saying -25 degrees..the glass portion blew out with it closed, tilted or wide open? also what year is your 200 and wouldnt it be under factory warr.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is a 2015, with only 25,000km, sunroof was closed of course at this temperature, maybe a smoking person could open the sunroof.. but this is not my case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You're the 2nd 200 owner I've heard that had the sunroof implode like this. Not really sure how big of a problem it is with Chrysler, but have read that Audi and Hyundai have large problems with these roofs. I wonder if it has something more to do with the colder climate you are in.

I am surprised to hear that warranty is not covering this. That is a concern.

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
I am surprised to hear that warranty is not covering this. That is a concern.
Broken glass, with few exceptions, are never covered.
Front windshields that have line cracks from stress points usually are covered.
Only because you can see where the damage originated.
In the OP's instance, how do you determine what caused that damage ?
Especially considering the car may be well over a year old, with over 15000 miles.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Broken glass, with few exceptions, are never covered.
Front windshields that have line cracks from stress points usually are covered.
Only because you can see where the damage originated.
In the OP's instance, how do you determine what caused that damage ?
Especially considering the car may be well over a year old, with over 15000 miles.
True, in the OP's case, we don't know what really caused the fracture. Nor do I know what caused it with the other poster I used to talk to on MotorTrends forum when they had one. The nice thing to know for me at least, is this is a very limited issue unlike what Audi and Hyundai is going through which it's my understanding is being covered under warranty. If the dealer is not replacing it and insurance is covering it, I'm assuming something had hit it. Looking over the warranty information, Chrysler should have replaced it otherwise:

3.2 Environmental Factors Not CoveredYour warranties don’t cover damage caused by environmentalfactors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings,insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray,acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warrantiescover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes,sandstorms, lightning, floods, and earthquakes.Your warranties do not cover conditions resultingfrom anything impacting the vehicle. This includescracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in paintedsurfaces, or damage from collision.

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
From my understanding - and I could be mistaken - the dealers have a big say for warranty work, so if one dealer denies you try another but maybe don't mention the previous denial.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes dealers have what they call "good will" on glass. I see it every month from across the country. I supply oem glass to a manufacture. I get the reports and can tell what was damaged and a very rare defect. Can't really tell by the picture but bet it was an impact. Looks like the full edge is intact, but the hole originated in the center, extremely rare a defect would originate there.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
It was -42c here last week and we had a very cold winter last year and mine is holding up good so far. Of course I never open it in the winter. This doesn't look like a "stress" fractured, it sure looks like a flying rock to me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I used to work in the automotive glass business for a number of years. It was not uncommon to have a car come in from time to time where the back/rear ( tempered ) window had in the words of the customer, 'just shattered' Sometimes this happened because of temp changes or something along those lines. Sometimes it was because of being hit by external forces. Generally when it just shattered on its own you had a fairly even pattern to the damage all over the window. When the glass was struck by a foreign object it gave you a 'sunray' or spiderweb like pattern emanating from the impact site. On the above photo supplied by ve2jvb its hard to tell because of the dark color of the glass and also it had disintegrated which does not mean it was hit by something, it could just mean it dropped because of the weight of the weakened glass itself. Anyway, bottom line is, for whatever the cause glass breakage is covered by your insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for all yours replied.. i received my car last monday. Chrysler Dealer collision center changed all front and back panel and also interior electric sun screen for the sunroof, repaint roof and tailgate. I,m not happy with the paint job they did, many pinholes, and white line near the sunroof paint is missing. My sunroof are now doing a wind noise in between front and back. They are going to redo the job, but i don t think they could do better than the first time.. Cost of repair are now 4,000$ Cdn.. ouchh.. !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just the other night while driving my 2015 Chrysler 200s with no cars or trees around we heard a loud noise like a shotgun went off beside me. It hurt my ears it was so loud. Pulled over to check the car out and noticed the front part of my sunroof was busted. It just exploded for no reason. The Chrysler headquarters will not pay to fix it. You can see that it exploded from inside out. What's left is pushed outward. They need to do a recall on them. I don't have the money to get it fixed and shouldn't have to neither. We had a 2 year old in the car as well. This isn't safe. The service manager took a pic with her cellphone and sent to her guy in another state to say if the headquarters will pay and they said no. They need to see it in person.

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
Just the other night while driving my 2015 Chrysler 200s with no cars or trees around we heard a loud noise like a shotgun went off beside me. It hurt my ears it was so loud. Pulled over to check the car out and noticed the front part of my sunroof was busted. It just exploded for no reason. The Chrysler headquarters will not pay to fix it. You can see that it exploded from inside out. What's left is pushed outward. They need to do a recall on them. I don't have the money to get it fixed and shouldn't have to neither. We had a 2 year old in the car as well. This isn't safe. The service manager took a pic with her cellphone and sent to her guy in another state to say if the headquarters will pay and they said no. They need to see it in person.
First, welcome to the forum Rodgerskevin.

This thread you replied on is 3 years old.
The problem of a breaking sunroof glass is not common, so a recall isn't likely.
You can file a report with the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
Please take the time to read though this thread.
I am posting this for informational purposes only.
Chrysler is far from the only manufacturer with sunroof glass breaking. It's an industry wide problem.

But the truth is, it shouldn’t be so hard to believe. Because it’s happening all over the country. Schmaltz said, admittedly, it’s probably not something people research when buying a new car."Who Googles 'sunroofs exploding?'" Schmaltz asked.
But you can read about it for hours online.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has issued no mandatory recalls.
Consumer Reports says there have been close to a thousand complaints, on hundreds of models from dozens of automakers. Schmaltz was driving a brand new Audi.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the Scion tC, Hyundai Veloster, Kia Sorento, Nissan Murano and Kia Optima received the most reports of exploding sunroofs.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/my-sunroof-exploded-government-investigating-problem-affecting-dozens-of-automakers/283-c529d7e5-f2c4-488e-ae34-96f781ad5466

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
fltru103
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing