Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after long trip, about 1000km my chrysler 200 2.4 2015 has stopped at a traffic light and didn't start. The engine sounded good when i was trying to start it and there was still fuel. There were no signs that anything was wrong. A friend hooked up the computer but he didn't get any error except check engine in the on-board computer. Looks like mechanical problem, maybe fuel pump or some kind of sensor related to this.
Do you have a similar problem?
Thank You in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,069 Posts
Check the oil level. The valvetrain depends on good oil pressure.
You can have good fuel pressure in the fuel rail, but if the injectors aren't squirting you will still have no fuel.
If you spray a small amount of carburetor or throttle body cleaner into the throttle body, it should fire up briefly on that if it has good spark.
Being an export, is this car equipped with ESS (electronic start/stop)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, with ESS. Thank you for your guidance. My car was left at a mechanic friend's house so he will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't look like problem with oil. Last time when i was driving and check engine appeared, it turned out that oil was black and almost gone but i still was able to drive. Now Engine sounds like there is no fuel but i am sure there is. And what bothers me, there was no simptoms that something is happening. We stopped to refuel couple of times, for a while i was going 170-180 km/h and nothing wrong happend. And when i got off the highway and enterd the city, at the 3rd traffic light in a row car just stopped.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Are the spark plug tips wet with fuel? If so, check for no spark. Do you smell fuel?
If not, try a squirt of carb cleaner or similar into the throttle body. Then crank the engine over to see if it fires up briefly. Stand aside while cranking in case of a backfire.
Any fault codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turned out it's faulty code U1504 - steering angle sensor, so there is something wrong....

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
U1504 is a loss of communication with the steering wheel angle sensor. It may or may not cause the 'no-start'. The code may or may not be real (if it is erased with a scan tool, does it come right back?).

We have a TSB of a PCM software change to address a false U1504, among others. This bulletin is for emissions sales codes: ED6 and ED8 (NAFTA 2.4L w/o ESS).
I don't see where the bulletin applies to a car with ESS that have an emissions sales code of: EDD or EDE. Check with your local FCA (Stellantis) service agency in your country. The U.S./Canadian emissions have an extended emissions warranty, in which these repairs are covered by Chrysler beyond the basic warranty. Does your country have the same protections?

See the Symptoms/Conditions list of TSB # 18-083-18 here:
28aa0c15-0906-4077-a7ab-2543ec3ac17f_TSB.pdf

"SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find one or more of the following DTCs set in the PCM memory:
  • U1504 - Implausible Message Data Length Received From Steering Angle Sensor."

If this TSB fix does not apply to your car, ask for recall Y19 to be performed. It is a PCM software update to address oil consumption and should include the software change that fixed a false setting of U1504.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was erased and came back.
Honestly i don't know about mentind protection. Is there any possibility to do this kind of update by myself, without authorized service?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The U1504 would affect the electronic stability system and not cause a no-start of the engine. The software update should address the false U1504 but will not likely correct the no-start condition.

It will be necessary to trouble-shoot the fuel system, ignition system and related sensors. Not certain if your mechanic has the necessary WiTech diagnostic tool/software to monitor the systems and diagnose the problem (tool/software is expensive).

You will not be able to update yourself as the updated software is only available through authorized dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts