Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I hope everyone has been having a great summer so far. I have a 2016 limited with the 2.4 tigershark motor just turned 54,000 miles. About 6 months ago maybe longer, I had a CEL on for a misfire in #3 cylinder. Took it to the dealer they replaced the coil on cylinder #3 under the 60K powertrain warranty. The last few weeks I noticed the car has been idling rough. Its very noticeable when I put the car in drive. It feels like a 25 year old honda lol. I know these engines aren't the most refined out there but with only 54,000 miles it shouldn't be vibrating THIS much. Earlier, when I was leaving for work I was pulling out of my parking spot and it starting sputtering really bad for about 30 seconds and then it was real smooth. Im gonna start by checking the plugs but im guessing there may be another coil that's going out. There has been no CEL at all so if it IS another coil or plugs im surprised its not throwing a code. Im driving to Illinois in a few weeks and I want to try and get this taken care of ASAP. Anyone have any thoughts? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. :) thanks:confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
Good first place to check are the spark plugs.
Changed ours around 97K and they were well worn and afterward the car ran so much better.
Throwing a can of good fuel injector cleaner wouldn't hurt either. ( IMO )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good idea, checking the plugs is always a good place to start for suspected misfires and rough idles. They can tell you a lot. At least maybe give you something to go on since there's no CEL. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
These plugs don't last 100K but that's the maintenance interval in the manual. In fact they begin to kill coils if left in for more than 50K - my experience anyway. Could be cause I used E85 predominately and it does burn hotter (I don't regret using E85). I would have saved so much headache and $$ replacing the plugs every 30K miles. I only have 2 original coils left on the vehicle.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/diagnose-ignition-coil-failure/

·
Registered
12 Posts
These plugs don't last 100K but that's the maintenance interval in the manual. In fact they begin to kill coils if left in for more than 50K - my experience anyway. Could be cause I used E85 predominately and it does burn hotter (I don't regret using E85). I would have saved so much headache and $$ replacing the plugs every 30K miles. I only have 2 original coils left on the vehicle.
That's good info, thanks for sharing that. My car has just shy of 80k with little E85 usage...maybe half a dozen tanks over three years...and I've never even considered checking them at this point. Think I'll add that to the routine maintenance agenda, making sure that even if they don't need replaced that they at least have the proper gap. Hopefully that'll keep the overheating coil situation from happening.

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
That's good info, thanks for sharing that. My car has just shy of 80k with little E85 usage...maybe half a dozen tanks over three years...and I've never even considered checking them at this point. Think I'll add that to the routine maintenance agenda, making sure that even if they don't need replaced that they at least have the proper gap. Hopefully that'll keep the overheating coil situation from happening.
Since you have the 2.4 tigershark, it's easier and not at all expensive to just replace with new plugs. Bought mine at the local auto parts store, 10 bucks for all 4 plugs. Originals are Champion 9775 (also known as part number REC10WMPB4).
Here is a good video of replacing plugs on the 2.4 engine.
https://paulstravelpictures.com/2015-2017-Chrysler-200-Engine-Spark-Plugs-Replacement-Guide/index.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since you have the 2.4 tigershark, it's easier and not at all expensive to just replace with new plugs. Bought mine at the local auto parts store, 10 bucks for all 4 plugs.
Hadn't priced them but at 10 bucks a set you're absolutely right. Cheaper to just replace them and not have to worry about it. And thanks for the link to the video! Looks way easier than some cars I've had in the past.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I used to notice that my ex's Dart with the 2.4 used to run rougher when the oil is low. I know everyone else states plugs and such, which maybe right, but have you also checked your oil?

This engine can consume 1qt of oil every 800 to 1000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank u for all the responses guys. With how intermittent this issue is im willing to guess its more likely ignition related. I JUST got an oil change done about 2 weeks ago from a reputable shop that ive dealt with before. I havent checked the oil level yet. Im at work at the moment when i come out in the morning to come home and the car is completely cool i'll check the oil level. And if ANY car is burning a whole quart of oil every 800-1000 miles thats not good. I always keep a 1/2 quart of oil in my trunk just incase. I havent had to use it as of yet. I ordered the plugs from pep boys i have to go pick them up in the morning. I got the OEM champion iridium plugs (part no. 9775) 4 of them for $28 which i didnt think was too bad. It beats paying $115 at the chrysler dealer for diagnostics and them telling me there's nothing wrong. I also ordered an air filter, mine has about 10,000 miles on it i wanted to change it before my trip anyway so i'll do that too while i have everything apart. Hopefully the plugs themselves will fix the problem. If it doesnt, then i'll go buy an ignition coil and start replacing one by one to see if maybe its another coil starting to go out. I'm also going to put in a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Usually right before i leave for Illinois every year i throw a bottle of techron in the fuel system. I'll put it in as soon as my gas tank gets under a quarter tank and go from there. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for your responses i appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey there guys. I just wanted to give you all an update on whats going on with my car. I changed all 4 spark plugs and its idling 100% better. Its not breaking up or sputtering anymore. Its pretty much almost as smooth as they day i bought her with 5 miles. The old plugs look really burnt. Only 54,000 miles, ive never had a car that ate plugs up after that little bit of miles. i'm wondering if i should do the coils anyway just incase at some point. I'm going to try to post a picture of the plugs that i took so you all can see them. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple this was. It took me less than an hour. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Check owner's manual for service interval. My non-PZEV engine requires spark plug change every 32K miles. My wife's PZEV engine has different plugs and can go 104K miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would wait for the next plug change for the coils. Unless you start getting codes for misfires. At that point it would be the coil since you just did the plugs. Coils should be good for 100k or more. Bad plugs can take out a coil over time. Drive a while and see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
Check owner's manual for service interval. My non-PZEV engine requires spark plug change every 32K miles. My wife's PZEV engine has different plugs and can go 104K miles.
I respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree 1000%

DO NOT TRUST THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR SPARK PLUG CHANGE INTERVAL!!!!!

My manual said 100K miles. Here's what my spark plugs looked like at 100K miles:

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-2015-2016-chrysler-200-uf-engine-technical-discussion/64648-spark-plugs-100k-miles-100028-miles-pictures.html

As the gap widens as the spark plugs wear, the coils can wear prematurely.

If you want to keep changing out coils like I did, leave the plugs in for 100K miles. You'll have an entire new set of coils by then.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree 1000%

DO NOT TRUST THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR SPARK PLUG CHANGE INTERVAL!!!!!

My manual said 100K miles. Here's what my spark plugs looked like at 100K miles:

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-2015-2016-chrysler-200-uf-engine-technical-discussion/64648-spark-plugs-100k-miles-100028-miles-pictures.html

As the gap widens as the spark plugs wear, the coils can wear prematurely.

If you want to keep changing out coils like I did, leave the plugs in for 100K miles. You'll have an entire new set of coils by then.
I didn't say I endorse a particular interval. What I said was, my owner's manual defines two different plugs, one for the PZEV engine, one for the non-PZEV engine, and that one is 104K miles, one is 32K miles. And so, one should pay attention to which plug/engine one has.
I have no idea what you could "wholeheartedly disagree 1000% about", when I was merely stating a fact. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knowing how simple this repair was ill just change them out regardless every 50,000 miles. I'm going to take my roadtrip in a few weeks and see how it is. It seems to be running 10 times better now. So far in the last 2 months i put 4 brand new tires, a new battery, full synthetic oil change, cabin air filter, spark plugs, engine air filter and I will be putting front and rear brakes on in the next few weeks before I leave. I'd say I should be good on maintenance for a while lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
Check owner's manual for service interval.
That's what I disagreed with. The service interval in the manual for spark plugs shouldn't be trusted.

I didn't say I endorse a particular interval. What I said was, my owner's manual defines two different plugs, one for the PZEV engine, one for the non-PZEV engine, and that one is 104K miles, one is 32K miles. And so, one should pay attention to which plug/engine one has.
I have no idea what you could "wholeheartedly disagree 1000% about", when I was merely stating a fact. :)
You did say to check the service interval - The "service interval" is how many miles and/or how much time passes before a particular service is performed. That's what I was replying to and disagreeing with. What the service interval in the manual says is not accurate for spark plugs for the Chrysler 200 in my experience.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2016 200s TigerShark I4 has 47k miles on her and there isn't an E85 gas station even close by (Akron/Canton/Massillon Ohio)... so I wonder what they will look like when I pull them (Champions) soon... I will be replacing them with NGK LFR5AIX-11 4469 Iridiums...
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts