Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I have a 2016 Chrysler 200 LX with the 2.4L engine. I am currently starting to look into performance parts and wanted to build a cold air intake. I have the MAF sensor in my intake and was wondering what cheaper build could be possible rather than spending nearly $500 CAD on a full CAI kit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You may not realize $500 CAD worth of performance gain with a CAI. Honestly, save your money.
The 200 already has a fairly nice cold air intake setup from the factory. The factory inlet baffles and resonators won't rob you of horsepower or fuel economy.
The CAI makes an intake noise if you like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. You may not realize $500 CAD worth of performance gain with a CAI. Honestly, save your money.
The 200 already has a fairly nice cold air intake setup from the factory. The factory inlet baffles and resonators won't rob you of horsepower or fuel economy.
The CAI makes an intake noise if you like that.
thanks so much for welcoming me in. I appreciate it. So what your saying is even if I bought a K&Ncold air intake it’s the same as the stock intake on 2.4? What would greatly improve the horsepower rather than this bolt in part cause in thinking of an exhaust job to have dual exit. And yes I’ve noticed the CAI makes a differentsounding noise but as you say it’s not really worth what would be beneficial specifically for it as a starter?

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
Dual exhaust tips look and sound nice, but won't give any significant torque gains.
Beware of marketing gimmicks. Spend wisely.
You could look into turbocharging, Diablo tuning or NOx. You want the car to still pass emissions and be insured on public roads. Maybe kept as a daily driver?

Tuning-wise, the Chrysler engineers did a great job of finding the optimum combination of torque, fuel economy, emissions, driveability and serviceability. MultiAir gave a significant boost in performance.

Keep up with scheduled maintenance , use a synthetic 0W-20 motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395. Use the specified OEM spark plugs for best burn.

If you haven't already, get the oil consumption recall done. The new software should contain all the improvements of past versions.

The Tiger Shark and Hurricane 2.4L were nice developments, but I don't know of a source for installation kits outside of a transplant from a donor car. You would probably need the PCM and wiring harness (at least) out of the donor.

Keep your eyes open for a 200 with the 3.6L V6. ☺

Reactions: Brett200C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dual exhaust tips look and sound nice, but won't give any significant torque gains.
Beware of marketing gimmicks. Spend wisely.
You could look into turbocharging, Diablo tuning or NOx. You want the car to still pass emissions and be insured on public roads. Maybe kept as a daily driver?

Tuning-wise, the Chrysler engineers did a great job of finding the optimum combination of torque, fuel economy, emissions, driveability and serviceability. MultiAir gave a significant boost in performance.

Keep up with scheduled maintenance , use a synthetic 0W-20 motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395. Use the specified OEM spark plugs for best burn.

If you haven't already, get the oil consumption recall done. The new software should contain all the improvements of past versions.

The Tiger Shark and Hurricane 2.4L were nice developments, but I don't know of a source for installation kits outside of a transplant from a donor car. You would probably need the PCM and wiring harness (at least) out of the donor.

Keep your eyes open for a 200 with the 3.6L V6. ☺
I really appreciate the time you took for writing this out for me. As much as I would love the v6 we were secondsaway from getting it when we got the 200 it was sold to another guy lol. That’s why financially I can afford this car and I definetly want some work on it. The Diablo tune, I’m sure there’s lots of videos on it too and NOx and I don’t know if there’s any in turbo’ing a 200 2.4L

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really appreciate the time you took for writing this out for me. As much as I would love the v6 we were secondsaway from getting it when we got the 200 it was sold to another guy lol. That’s why financially I can afford this car and I definetly want some work on it. The Diablo tune, I’m sure there’s lots of videos on it too and NOx and I don’t know if there’s any in turbo’ing a 200 2.4L
i’ve also got a 16 w/2.4 and honestly there really isn’t much in the way of performance parts and mods to be had. More than anything I would be terrified of transmission damage by putting any aggressive power to it. That 5th gear is already testy enough and i’m sure you know what I speak of. When it slams hard into 5th when driving casually. My advice to you is trade it in right now because the value is up by a few thousand dollars for some reason.Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i’ve also got a 16 w/2.4 and honestly there really isn’t much in the way of performance parts and mods to be had. More than anything I would be terrified of transmission damage by putting any aggressive power to it. That 5th gear is already testy enough and i’m sure you know what I speak of. When it slams hard into 5th when driving casually. My advice to you is trade it in right now because the value is up by a few thousand dollars for some reason.Good Luck!
see that’s the thing is I can’t sell it atm but I’m just playing with what I’ve got and I can’t complain about what I have that’s just not me man! I know that 5th gear drop and honestly it only comes in if I hit a hill or if I press it hard enough to downshift on auto. Any mods woulddef trip it harder but at the end of the day; it helps to know to keep it the way it is, enjoy what I have now until I get an upgrade in the near future. If there’s basics like cold air intakes, exhaust and simplistics, I’m willing to do it to enjoy it for what it is and wait. I appreciate thefeed back from everyone it helps a lot!

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
I also had a bang-upshift into 5th when cresting a hill with a load in the car.
Make sure that you have the latest software update in the PCM/TCM, as stated in post # 4:

In addition, the following software enhancements are also available:
Any software update for the PCM is covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty in the U.S.
I don't know what Canada offers, but would like to know if you find out.
Don't be intimidated by the service advisor explaining shop policies and diagnostic charges, they are required to explain this at write-up and I would want them to. It doesn't pertain to warranty or recall work that is reimbursed by the factory.

The oil consumption recall is the latest and greatest software update that should include the improvements from all past versions.

After the update and while still connected to the tool, have then perform a Quicklearn and PROXI:

My PROXI wasn't 'missing', so the tech turned it off and back on to reset it and the 9-speed has shifted as smooth as butter ever since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cold air intakes are a waste of money. They provide absolutely no noticeable hp or fuel economy gains. They generally take in hot engine compartment air because of all the gaps in the shields. Also the K&N filters do not filter the air as good as standard air filters. The factory intakes take in nothing but cold outside air, and if you stick with an oem air filter, that will be the best filtration and airflow setup for your vehicle. Its amazing how many idiots on 90s chevy trucks do the air filter lid flip, thinking its cool and they’re adding power, no moron ********, you’re chevy 350 does not like breathing hot engine air!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cold air intakes are a waste of money. They provide absolutely no noticeable hp or fuel economy gains. They generally take in hot engine compartment air because of all the gaps in the shields. Also the K&N filters do not filter the air as good as standard air filters. The factory intakes take in nothing but cold outside air, and if you stick with an oem air filter, that will be the best filtration and airflow setup for your vehicle. Its amazing how many idiots on 90s chevy trucks do the air filter lid flip, thinking its cool and they’re adding power, no moron ****, you’re chevy 350 does not like breathing hot engine air!
lmfao I understand. Haven’t done anything other then some Led front light swaps, and put on better rims and sport tires.Still kicks some ass on the road either way!

·
Super Moderator
1,323 Posts
Everything FCA builds now is CAI. In the carburetor days we needed warm air intake during the winter to prevent icing. Modern port injection EFI doesn't have this issue.
Intake air & exhaust baffles and resonators don't rob any real horsepower or fuel economy.
The only thing the aftermarket CAI does is make more noise. I would tire of the 'drone and whoosh' on a long trip.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200C 3.6
7 Posts
I own the 3.6 in the 200c with sport mode. theres nothign to really modify these cars. most of it is custom work which makes these somewhat unique but a pain in the ass. Good luck, but id see if there are any dart options to modify those parts or asthetics for the 200's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts