Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been shopping for a car for my almost 16YO daughter. There aren't many cars out there with AWD, so we've narrowed the search to the 200's. It seems to have a good safety rating which is also a must. I know there are a few issues with the transmission, hoping that isn't the case with the V-6 AWD we are looking at.

We found a one owner local trade with 18,200 miles. Originally purchased 1/2016. So has some warranty left. Pretty loaded with the navigation and backup camera - Preferred equipment package 26L Original sticker price was $33,380. They have it listed at $18,990. Its a small local dealership, the receptionist knows the older couple who traded it in (they do so every couple of years) and gave me the phone number to speak with them, which I did. It honestly sounds like a good car with no trouble.

What would a good starting point for negotiations be? What should my ultimate sales price target be?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Prices for used 200's can be all over the map. But, a nice AWD V-6 version will see higher the prices then others you might see.
Your correct, the basic warranty remains in effect until 1/2019 and the powertrain warranty will run until 1/2021 or 100,000 miles.
I suspect there is some wriggle room on price, but in the end, it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had a 2015 AWD V6 200C for about 3 years now. The first problem I had was with the transmission as you stated. There was no fixing it. It had to be replaced and that was at about 7000 miles. There is a reason why Chrysler discontinued the 200. I continue to have transmission trouble with jerky shifting up/down with surging on the way down. All different times, no pattern. It's an intermittent problem. The dealer said they'll look at it but they need at least a week to drive it. They'll give me a loaner but if they don't find a problem, they're going to charge me for the loaner. I told them never mind. I'll wait until it totally fails and then they can pick it up alongside the road and give them some free negative advertising. I wouldn't recommend the 200 to anyone. BTW, there is a recall coming for the 200 that involves the cruise control. I am waiting for the notification.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have had a 2015 AWD V6 200C for about 3 years now. The first problem I had was with the transmission as you stated. There was no fixing it. It had to be replaced and that was at about 7000 miles. There is a reason why Chrysler discontinued the 200. I continue to have transmission trouble with jerky shifting up/down with surging on the way down. All different times, no pattern. It's an intermittent problem. The dealer said they'll look at it but they need at least a week to drive it. They'll give me a loaner but if they don't find a problem, they're going to charge me for the loaner. I told them never mind. I'll wait until it totally fails and then they can pick it up alongside the road and give them some free negative advertising. I wouldn't recommend the 200 to anyone. BTW, there is a recall coming for the 200 that involves the cruise control. I am waiting for the notification.
Sorry to hear of your issues and lack of support from your dealer. While some owners have had experiences like yours, the vast majority have not. The recall for PCM software upgrade to address the cruise control concern is not a big deal at all. It's for an issue that only might occur under extremely unusual circumstances. It's a simple fix that typically takes about 30 minutes. If you haven't received the recall notice your vehicle may not even be affected.

The primary reason for discontinuing the 200 had nothing to do with the transmission. It was discontinued to reallocate manufacturing capacity to the Jeep and RAM product lines. It's entirely because SUVs and trucks are in greater demand from the public these days and therefore can be sold at higher profit margins than sedans. Ford recently announced they are following a similar strategy and will be phasing out the Focus, Fusion and Taurus sedans. The Jeep Cherokee which is mechanically very similar to the 200 has exactly the same transmission and continues to sell well. The Jeep Renegade and the latest version of the Jeep Compass also use this transmission. As do various Honda (Acura), Land Rover and Jaguar models. ZF 9HP Transmission.

While the 200 isn't perfect or perfectly reliable, it is a generally well engineered and well designed vehicle and remains a very nice value overall in my opinion. I've had my own issues with other products that I felt justified a lot of frustration and so sympathize with yours, however, one person's experience is just that, one person's experience, and not necessarily a strong argument for badmouthing the product overall.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
It's a great car. The only thing is that it is very powerful for a young inexperienced person, kinda deceptively powerful so although it's easy to control etc... it could get someone a ticket pretty easily if they are in the slightest bit ... heavy on the throttle. All that said it's a very safe car according to IIHS and the brakes and handling are exceptional.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My information says that the software update for the 200 cruise control problem is not available yet. Your downplay of the recall is dangerous to the public. It must be a serious problem. Why else would Chrysler have a recall? They don't have an official recall and spend thousands of dollars fixing software for a problem that is minimal. Its a risk to public safety. They would have tried to just insert it into a regularly scheduled maintenance appt. if it wasn't serious. The time involved with the fix has nothing to do with the end problem. As to your comment about reallocating manufacturing to the ram and Jeep, my son has a 2018 ram. It is under the recall for cruise control as well. He has already received his notice. BTW, If you're married and have kids, why would you even put them at risk of a problem that in your words, "only might happen under unusual circumstances". Its a 5 million vehicle recall within the USA plus additional units outside the USA covering vehicle ages from 2014-2019. The reported problem is that drivers could be unable to turn the cruise control off while set and driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
My information says that the software update for the 200 cruise control problem is not available yet. Your downplay of the recall is dangerous to the public. It must be a serious problem. Why else would Chrysler have a recall? They don't have an official recall and spend thousands of dollars fixing software for a problem that is minimal. Its a risk to public safety. They would have tried to just insert it into a regularly scheduled maintenance appt. if it wasn't serious. The time involved with the fix has nothing to do with the end problem. As to your comment about reallocating manufacturing to the ram and Jeep, my son has a 2018 ram. It is under the recall for cruise control as well. He has already received his notice. BTW, If you're married and have kids, why would you even put them at risk of a problem that in your words, "only might happen under unusual circumstances". Its a 5 million vehicle recall within the USA plus additional units outside the USA covering vehicle ages from 2014-2019. The reported problem is that drivers could be unable to turn the cruise control off while set and driving.
He is right, it is a recall for a situation that COULD happen but has NEVER happened. They recall the cars because IF it happens it COULD be Dangerous for the public safety. It is the exact samething as when Microsoft issues a fix for an exploit that could be exploited by a hacker but has never been. Chrysler discovered the POSSIBLE issue and will fix it. No need to alarm anyone about it.

As for the transmission it is a reliable transmission, it is just a transmission that can be tricky to operate and that operates differently depending on your driving style but don't be afraid, the transmission will last 160 000 miles easily.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Hello,
I've been shopping for a car for my almost 16YO daughter. There aren't many cars out there with AWD, so we've narrowed the search to the 200's. It seems to have a good safety rating which is also a must. I know there are a few issues with the transmission, hoping that isn't the case with the V-6 AWD we are looking at.

We found a one owner local trade with 18,200 miles. Originally purchased 1/2016. So has some warranty left. Pretty loaded with the navigation and backup camera - Preferred equipment package 26L Original sticker price was $33,380. They have it listed at $18,990. Its a small local dealership, the receptionist knows the older couple who traded it in (they do so every couple of years) and gave me the phone number to speak with them, which I did. It honestly sounds like a good car with no trouble.

What would a good starting point for negotiations be? What should my ultimate sales price target be?

Any help would be appreciated.
To help you negociate, we got a fully loaded V6 AWD with 36000 miles on it evaluated 2 weeks ago and we have contacts all over the province of Québec here in Canada and the best offer we got for it was 15000$/CDN wich would be around 12000$/US. Giving that the one you are looking at has half the milleage, I wouldn't pay more than 13500$ for it. If you have the phone number of the previous owner, call him and ask him how much they gave him for the car and it will tell you where to start your negociation. A 1000$ profit on a used car is the more I would be willing to pay but my feeling is that this small dealer is trying to make 5-6K$ out of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How does a Microsoft fix compare to a possible human fatality? Its very apparent to me Fernboy that since the situation at hand doesn't affect you or someone close to you, you label it as "NO NEED TO ALARM ANYONE"! If it did in fact affect you or a loved one in a negative way, you would be sounding off in a different way. As far as your comment about a 160,000 mile transmission life; how many transmissions will it take to reach the 160,000 mile mark. I am on #2, soon to be #3. My last serious #2 transmission problem occurred when getting off an expressway and sitting at a red light. When I started to go, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Fortunately, I was able to pull off to the side of the road without harming me, my son, and my 5 year old granddaughter.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If a recall is there it will show on Carfax, so when you buy the car you can check Carfax with the VIN #.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Oh my goodness! Way too much coffee today! There only has been one car that has had this issue occur. No other reports, so this is out of abundance of safety. There is a simple temporary solution, don't use the cruise...for now......

Although Chrysler is telling me the 200 isn't part of this recall....We'll have to wait and see on that.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Please see our discussion thread. The cruise control fix is available. I've already had the PCM flash performed. Yet based on the fact that not every owners' VIN is showing up under the recall it appears not to apply to every 200. FCA has not been clear about this discrepancy. So I will join you if you want to be upset about that too. While it is a potentially dangerous issue, it is highly unlikely to occur. In fact, there is only one reported instance, a Dodge Journey, not a 200. FCA is still doing the right thing to change the software. If the issue were to happen to me while driving alone or with a child, I would step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission to neutral and bring the vehicle to a stop.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
I would step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission to neutral and bring the vehicle to a stop.
Well... not everyone has sense like that (I'd say common sense but it's really not common).

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
So far I have received recall notices for our 2015 Durango and the 2016 Challenger, nothing on the 200.
As I said previously, I am not worried anyway.
And I use the cruise control all the time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Test drive the car and pay attention to how the trans shifts, if all the gears are smooth you'll be good to go.
Does it have 8.4 screen? Helps a lot with the backup camera to have a big screen.
Ask for a carfax printout.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To help you negociate, we got a fully loaded V6 AWD with 36000 miles on it evaluated 2 weeks ago and we have contacts all over the province of Québec here in Canada and the best offer we got for it was 15000$/CDN wich would be around 12000$/US. Giving that the one you are looking at has half the milleage, I wouldn't pay more than 13500$ for it. If you have the phone number of the previous owner, call him and ask him how much they gave him for the car and it will tell you where to start your negociation. A 1000$ profit on a used car is the more I would be willing to pay but my feeling is that this small dealer is trying to make 5-6K$ out of it.

hmm arent cars in QC a lot cheaper than the rest of Canada? I know a lot of dealers that bring in cars from the east to western canada to sell for a profit.. that same car in AB is listed for $20k CDN. I feel that prices will vary depending on location/market

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a good idea. I'll give them another call.
I've test drove it already, but I definitely want to take another drive and watch for the shifting more closely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Test drive the car and pay attention to how the trans shifts, if all the gears are smooth you'll be good to go.
Does it have 8.4 screen? Helps a lot with the backup camera to have a big screen.
Ask for a carfax printout.
Yes, I plan to go take another drive. My first drive, it seemed slow to get up to 60MPH. Then again I was driving an unfamiliar car and it was drizzling too. Yes it has the larger screen. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was the blindside alert, etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts