Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Considering a 2016 200S. Are they as bad as people say?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mitsurugi2424 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 2016 200S AWD V6. It's got 48k miles on it, was a fleet vehicle, is pretty decked out in terms of features, interior looks immaculate, and for the 20-25 minutes I drove it, it seemed pretty peppy and fun. They want $15,599 for it at CarMax. If I get it, I am planning to get the extended MaxCare warranty out to 100k miles.

I have heard a lot of hate for the car, but I have been trying to find some people with actual experience with them. Is this car going to be nothing but problems? Am I better off getting something else for a replacement daily driver?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. I purchased mine about a year and a half and about 9K miles ( 14.5K kms) ago. I have to say that it is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Comfort, power, traction, class and economy.
Get all the software updates done, if they haven't been already.
Mine was off-lease at the tail end of the 3/36 warranty. The only thing it needed was rear sway bar links.
No big surprises on maintenance. Synthetic oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395, a new set of tires with a 4 wheel alignment, new brake pads and rotors (from sitting, not because they were wore out), a battery, paint touch-up and a Mopar touch screen protector.
My wife thinks that the 200S rides hard. The new tires made that a little better and she does have a bad back.
The 200C may have had a softer ride and more brightwork.

Reactions: tldye71
#3 ·
Thanks. My wife really liked the ride. It's a lot smoother than 2017 Charger with the Pursuit Package, while being nearly as peppy. I guess all the talk of it's issues just has me second guessing making the purchase. Most of the bad I hear came around 2015 at launch, with very little being in the years since. Several people have said the software updates mostly solve the transmission issues, so I am holding out hope I'll hear a lot of praise from current/long time owners that aren't just regurgitating legitimate complaints that may have been addressed in the 2016 up...

#4 ·
The 2016 had improved transaxle hardware and software over the 2015. FCA came off the supply contract with ZF and could finally implement the needed changes and build it at Kokomo.

#5 ·
The 2015 had more issues and they were pretty much all software issues. The carmax warranty is a good idea to cover the few quirks this car has...namely the oil cooler, hubs and control arms and battery. Like 200sawd said, take too dealer and make sure all software is up too date and youll be good. Theres nothing too hate on this car, enjoy and good luck.

Reactions: 200_S_AWD
#6 ·
I have a '16 200c V6 with just about every option except all-wheel-drive. Purchased new and now has 48,000 miles. I love the car and it rides great and gets phenomenal MPG on the highway. I had a hard shift from 4th to 5th gear that was solved by a software update. Other than that the car has performed flawlessly. My car has an extended warranty and I sleep better at night knowing that I am covered. Buy the car and get the warranty. You'll be fine. Enjoy

#7 ·
I have a 2016 200s 4cyl that I resurrected from a total... It has 48k miles on it and I'm reasonably happy with it... The V6 does have problems with cams and rollers... and you should keep an eye on the oil when changed for metal specks... Because it is a V6 I would suggest getting the extended warranty... I have "felt" some minor 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th shifting harshness but seldomly... The 9 speed transmission does require getting used to when comparing it to say a 3or 4 speed...
The 4 cylinder with this transmission performs very well and the off the line performance is quite good... I believe this is from all the shifting in the first few seconds... and "if" I want a little better performance The "Sport" mode with paddles is fun...
We have a 2004 KIA Optima that gets much better gas mileage around town (28-32mpg) compared to the 200s' 20mpg...
it also is more peppier with the GDI... I like the car for what I have in it ($5600 rebuilt by me)...
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.